Maybe there's a thread like this that I missed, but I'm interested to see some recent discoveries from VC-ers. What's a band you've just started listening to over the last couple of months and have been giving a lot of spins?

For me it's Petite League. Their new album, No Hitter just came out a couple weeks ago. My favorite track on the album is "Down that Road."

So, what's yours?

Big Thief:  Masterpiece.  I discovered them earlier this week via NPR, then I saw this tweet about them from Jeff Tweedy,

"Great guitars, great lyrics, great melodies, ❤️! What more could you possibly want?"

Looks like I'm in good company, and my musical tastes are vindicated. I read this morning that they finished recording their second album before their first album was released.  Hopefully that means they've got a promising future.

Another recent discovery is Margaret Glasper.  Some of her songs are really great, and her guitar playing is on point, but she hasn't completely won me over yet because she does some growly stuff with her voice that I don't care for. But that makes me question if I'm being fair.  Roger Daltrey and Robert Plant do some annoying things with their voices, but it doesn't stop me from liking The who or Zeppelin. 

Also, The Housemartins.

Bought London 0 Hull 4 at a library sale a couple of months ago, because I had heard good things. I put in on in the car on my way home, and was instantly smitten. I absolutely adore this band and am now looking into the stuff from The Beautiful South, as well. Loving them, too!

i'm being pleasantly enlightened by some rediscovered Jerry and Merl, brushing up on my Los Campesinos, and blowing the rust off some Live Rust, while Courtney Banrett and the new Parquet Courts are hitting the high notes. The high notes.

i'm being pleasantly enlightened by some rediscovered Jerry and Merl, brushing up on my Los Campesinos, and blowing the rust off some Live Rust, while Courtney Banrett and the new Parquet Courts are hitting the high notes. The high notes.

I'm seeing parquet courts next month!

Sweet, lots of stuff to check out!

The first GØGGS album arrived yesterday, and based on their 7" a while back, I imagine that's gonna be in my rotation a lot for a while.

I've been really enjoying the new album Teens of Denial by the band Car Seat Headrest. Very melodic, fuzzy sounding, literate pop rock. Cool lyrics, songs with big choruses and surprising twists in arrangement and instrumentation.

A friend just introduced me to Morgan Delt. Anyone else heard of this guy? He has a new album coming out via SubPop, but his previous lp is wild.

a bartender in NOLA turned me onto this guy last year when i noticed he was playing Brian Jonestown Massacre over the house stereo. Good stuff. We shot the shit about music over my last two drinks.

I've been really enjoying the new album Teens of Denial by the band Car Seat Headrest. Very melodic, fuzzy sounding, literate pop rock. Cool lyrics, songs with big choruses and surprising twists in arrangement and instrumentation.

I've heard a couple songs and have been meaning to listen to more.

That sounds like something I'd enjoy. I will give that a listen.

A friend just introduced me to Morgan Delt. Anyone else heard of this guy? He has a new album coming out via SubPop, but his previous lp is wild.

His previous record is on my Amazon wishlist.  Can't remember where or when I heard about him, but I should give him a listen.. 

Just discovered a really good new local band.

Omni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzl4LIfkG0

I was just assigned their new album to review for The Active Listener.

Just gave it a quick scan, but not even a real full listen yet, but it sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to really dig in!

I was just assigned their new album to review for The Active Listener.

Just gave it a quick scan, but not even a real full listen yet, but it sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to really dig in!

I've still only heard one song (Wire), which was really good.  I went out and bought a bunch of albums this weekend, including Omni and Car Seat Headrest (and some older stuff). Didn't get around to listening to any of them, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...