What's the first major news story you can remember living through as a child?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I am not sure of that is a true or I am remembering it retroactively.  

That's the rub, and an interesting experience to see how you prove to yourself that you actually remember it. I remember Elvis's death because I can remember my neighbor crying about it. 

As for the Challenger - I actually saw that live (on TV). I was in gym class, and we were covering bowling at the time, so we were offsite at the local alley. I was watching the launch when it wasn't my turn. I remember calling people over to see the tragedy that just happened...

I have vague memories of JFK's assassination. I was just about to turn 3 and did not realize who he was or what had happened to him, but I do have clear memories of pictures of him being on TV for what seemed forever. I clearly remember watching on the black and white TV. I can even picture the old TV room in our apartment and seeing it on TV in that room. That is one of my earliest memories. I much more clearly remember RFK's assassination several years later, and was very aware of who he was (the brother of the other guy I remembered!) and exactly what happened to him.

Being born in 1974, I got to say the Challenger explosion (1986).

I have a hazy memory of Reagan being shot, but I am not sure of that is a true or I am remembering it retroactively.

Weird!? I was going to say exactly the same thing except for being born in 1978.

My 1st grade class saw the Challenger explosion on TV.

I think I remember Reagan being shot.

I remember having the Oliver North hearings on during my family's July vacation up at the beach.

I remember my first memory and have an eerie memory of what caused me nightmares when I was little.

I remember my first memory and have an eerie memory of what caused me nightmares when I was little.

I remember my first nightmare - inspired by Bumble the Abominable Snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I was 4 or 5?

I also had nightmares from Equinox, and it took me a long long time to figure out what movie that was... I only had very limited memories of it, and it was on TV - an afternoon matinee on a Saturday perhaps... It's very obscure, and I was finally able to piece it together in my 30s. That was a fantastic revelation.

There's another sci-fi film (but I think it's a short film, which makes it harder) that I have hazy memories about. It was cheap, and centered around kids, and I remember they had the ability to shoot lasers? In the woods? The day I figure out what that movie/short film was will be huge. I don't know what else to go on.

probably seeing some rocket heading off to space. i also have vague memories of Watergate.

Also vague memories of Watergate. I specifically remember my parents watching Nixon speak on a small B&W T.V. in the kitchen. His resignation speech was a couple of days after my birthday and i think events like that are always magnified by being close to your birthday, so I assume it was that.

First really jarring news I remember were the shootings of John Lennon and Ronald Reagan.

My nightmare was from a first person perspective of being tortured or surrounded by militia. I now realize that this could be some sort of memory of a past life because I was only 4 years old. This would occur almost nightly for a long time. What throws me for a loop and gets my creative juices flowing is what if this memory hasn't happened yet?

What if that's my last image that I see before I die?

There's another sci-fi film (but I think it's a short film, which makes it harder) that I have hazy memories about. It was cheap, and centered around kids, and I remember they had the ability to shoot lasers? In the woods? The day I figure out what that movie/short film was will be huge. I don't know what else to go on.

Is this your post on that movie page? If it isn't, then that's pretty weird!

image.jpg

Born in '70.

I remember the 1976 presidential election. 

I mean, I was alive during Watergate, but was completely clueless at the time that it was going on.

I was born in 1959.  I remember the JFK assassination -- mostly I remember my mother crying over it.  Seeing my mother cry was far more traumatic (to a 4 year old) than learning that President Kennedy was assassinated.  I also recall my father patiently answering all the questions I had about what had happened and why.

I was born in 1959.  I remember the JFK assassination -- mostly I remember my mother crying over it.  Seeing my mother cry was far more traumatic (to a 4 year old) than learning that President Kennedy was assassinated.  I also recall my father patiently answering all the questions I had about what had happened and why.

He knew why?? Was he in on the conspiracy? What do you know? When did you know it?

I remember going into downtown Baltimore with my mother and our next-door neighbor (our neighbor had broken his leg when he fell off the back of a truck at work and my mom was driving him to his doctor's appointment to get his cast off) and seeing armed soldiers standing on the street corners. This was right after MLK was assassinated & the national guard had been called up to quell any potential rioting in the city. I was 4. I also remember watching RFK's funeral on TV a few months later. 

Apollo 11, the first moon landing, July 16, 1969. I was mesmerized watching on TV. I rememberi my entire family in silent awe. I think it seemed less impossible to me, as a child, then it did to the adults. My grandpa was agape. He died the next day or two after. Very cool he saw it.

I was born in 74 so John Lennon's murder and the American hostages being released. My Mom was crying about John Lennon and showing me his picture. Crazy to think about after all these years. Interesting topic.

Born in '71. I think my first major "news" story I remember was the 76 bicentennial. That and the olympics - I distinctly remember being annoyed with my sisters because all they wanted to do was watch Nadia Comaneci and I was missing the monkees or something.