What's the first major news story you can remember living through as a child?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier I said y news story was the Apollo accident, which is the earliest specific story I can remember.  I remember the Vietnam war being ubiquitous, but not one specific incidence.  I do however remember watching the Jetsons and Flintstones on prime time.

Lennon being killed didn't affect me in the moment, I guess due to being seven when I did not 100% know the Beatle names individually, which is a bit shocking to me - my kid has known the names for as long as I can recall and she's still not seven. My parents only had Sgt Pepper's in with their Pavarotti and Sinatra and Erroll Garner and the Mame soundtrack. Did everyone in the '60s just have Sgt Pepper's by default? By the time I was five Sgt Pepper's and its visuals were as important to me as Mister Rogers and my imaginary friends. But yeah still didn't for sure know all their names, which I only know today because of my memory of us kids huddled to the back of the classroom that morning after, a number of teachers at Mrs. MacNeil's front desk grieving reservedly but obviously, and us trying to figure out exactly what this death meant to the adults. I didn't think of John in his green regalia holding the French horn (he was always my favorite); I didn't think of Beatle John as dead because he was a Muppet, a Tom or Jerry. The Beatles were all from the same place as the Seven Dwarves or the village Popeye crashed upon, to me they were of that unique type of friends (or maybe they felt like family) whose connection to me even though not personal was born of love and its lessons. Oddly, that morning, when Brad Baherian announced to our small circle of boys what had happened he ended with "and I think his name was Peter" which I took as a hit, because he looked at me when he said it. I thought he was probably right and wished he hadn't looked at me. Fuck you Brad!

Lennon being killed didn't affect me in the moment, I guess due to being seven when I did not 100% know the Beatle names individually, which is a bit shocking to me - my kid has known the names for as long as I can recall and she's still not seven. My parents only had Sgt Pepper's in with their Pavarotti and Sinatra and Erroll Garner and the Mame soundtrack. Did everyone in the '60s just have Sgt Pepper's by default? By the time I was five Sgt Pepper's and its visuals were as important to me as Mister Rogers and my imaginary friends. But yeah still didn't for sure know all their names, which I only know today because of my memory of us kids huddled to the back of the classroom that morning after, a number of teachers at Mrs. MacNeil's front desk grieving reservedly but obviously, and us trying to figure out exactly what this death meant to the adults. I didn't think of John in his green regalia holding the French horn (he was always my favorite); I didn't think of Beatle John as dead because he was a Muppet, a Tom or Jerry. The Beatles were all from the same place as the Seven Dwarves or the village Popeye crashed upon, to me they were of that unique type of friends (or maybe they felt like family) whose connection to me even though not personal was born of love and its lessons. Oddly, that morning, when Brad Baherian announced to our small circle of boys what had happened he ended with "and I think his name was Peter" which I took as a hit, because he looked at me when he said it. I thought he was probably right and wished he hadn't looked at me. Fuck you Brad!

I enjoyed this.

My parents also had their mandated/default Sgt. Pepper's LP. That and the White Album. Both of which surprise me now, since most of their other albums were Harry Belafonte, Simon & Garfunkel, Kingston Trio, and Nana Mouskouri. The two Beatles albums they had were the only pop/rock albums in their collection. The White Album is my favorite album to this day. I listened to it so so so much on my little crappy portable LP player when I was a kid. Those songs always seemed to me to come from some deeper place than anything else I was exposed to. 

I "do the Beatles" for my boys, like Louis CK below, but I do it better. Mine is the same as the intro to the Beatles at the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3o0PYfj_4k