Who does his voice sound like?

A little Malkmus, sure. But there is someone else that he sounds like even more...

And it's killing me trying to figure out who.

I think his voice has similarities to the dude from the Strokes. 

That's it!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Honestly I didn't think I was being a troll.  The name is not that great, but then good names are hard to find, I saw them and they sounded okay (didn't complain about their voices), they were pleasant enough, and I stand by my statement that they will have lost their buzz before long.  Let's discuss this again in a year.

LouieB

Came in here to basically say all that. This band seems to fit the blueprint for so many that have come before, gotten hyped up, then quickly forgotten. Some people consume musically different than I do, and enjoy each new thing that comes along for a brief while. I'm only interested in music worth listening to repeatedly for the rest of my life, which others would get bored with. I'm in no rush to jump on each new band that comes along. If they're truly great, they'll still be great in 5 years and I'll check em out then. Not worried about missing out like I think others are.

Came in here to basically say all that. This band seems to fit the blueprint for so many that have come before, gotten hyped up, then quickly forgotten. Some people consume musically different than I do, and enjoy each new thing that comes along for a brief while. I'm only interested in music worth listening to repeatedly for the rest of my life, which others would get bored with. I'm in no rush to jump on each new band that comes along. If they're truly great, they'll still be great in 5 years and I'll check em out then. Not worried about missing out like I think others are.

Well I'm still being considered a troll by some obviously.  I'm not dissing these folks at all, yet the sheer crush of new bands and music in every year will insure that a significant number of bands are temporary and ephemeral and long forgotten in five years, or at least inactive.  All musicians are subject to being refound and having career surges later in life, but most go by the wayside. Good on those who take up each new buzz band and give them some attention, they need that attention and the financial enumeration that comes with it because we all know the music business is brutal.  

When I first got to VC over 10 years ago the buzz bands of the moment were My Morning Jacket, which still holds some sway at least in the personage of Jim James and a group who's name I simply can't remember (they emerged from the Scud Mountain Boys and were named the something Brothers - help my poor geriatric brain out). This second group, while certainly doing catchy music, are long forgotten.  Every so often I do a set of music on my radio show of groups like this, because their music is certainly enjoyable and if someone reminds who they are I will play them soon.

It is necessary that young bands get a shot at fame and fortune, since many have invested  much time and effort and resources (either formal or informal schooling) in their craft, but inevitably they are going to fall by the wayside and go get regular jobs like the rest of us.  

LouieB

When I first got to VC over 10 years ago the buzz bands of the moment were My Morning Jacket, which still holds some sway at least in the personage of Jim James and a group who's name I simply can't remember (they emerged from the Scud Mountain Boys and were named the something Brothers - help my poor geriatric brain out). This second group, while certainly doing catchy music, are long forgotten.  Every so often I do a set of music on my radio show of groups like this, because their music is certainly enjoyable and if someone reminds who they are I will play them soon.

The Pernice Brothers!

I was a big fan at the time. Joe Pernice is great, but he never really evolved and his records are kind of samey. I know he put out an album awhile back under the name of The New Mendicants with one of the guys from Teenage Fanclub, but I don't think I've heard anything about him since. He got married and moved to Canada and seems to have faded from view,

The Pernice Brothers!

I was a big fan at the time. Joe Pernice is great, but he never really evolved and his records are kind of samey. I know he put out an album awhile back under the name of The New Mendicants with one of the guys from Teenage Fanclub, but I don't think I've heard anything about him since. He got married and moved to Canada and seems to have faded from view,

Yea, I remembered that yesterday. I kept thinking the Felice Brothers and knew that was wrong.  Joe did some writing I understand as well.  Either way they were THE band of the moment about 15 years ago.  Will have to drag their records off the shelf and give them a quick listen I guess.

LOuieB

Contrary to my prediction back in August, I'm liking this less the more I listen.  Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales is not a very good song. It's surprising that it has become the key track. There are better songs on this record.

Maybe they could still win me over if I ever see them live. 

So I like Teens of Denial, just listened through a few times this past weekend. I enjoy his voice reminiscent of Julian Casablancas, as others have pointed out. But there's no denying that Car Seat Headrest is a bad name.

Maybe they could still win me over if I ever see them live. 

i saw them live but not heard their record and they were just fine, but not fantastic.  Band names are a tough go anymore. When someone picks a really good one I am frankly shocked.

LouieB

• 3 months later...