Not to be such a cynical girl, but I fully expect there to be no more than 1 or 2 other people at the listening party I'm going to in Virginia Beach. When Star Wars came out they did something similar at a local brewery, with all kind of giveaways including a signed vinyl copy of the album, and my friend and I were the only entrants. I assume there's more interest in bigger cities.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the new version of "The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl" with 4 extra tracks (17 total)!! Wilco & The Beatles on the same day!!

How is this recording? I am/was interested but read that you'd basically be listening to a bunch of screaming teenage girls?

Wow Mr Link. Here is my take in less words.

I heard it leaked from a friend , that doesn't post here. Although I may have alerted the board first, I have no idea where it originated from. Either does he.

The Internet works almost instantaneous these days. So once it's out there , there isn't much you can do.

I made the board aware immedialty for a few reasons.

1. Out of all the corners of the Internet, this is probably the largest gathering of hardcore Wilco fans. Fans that not only have seen them live and follow all their concert set lists, but Fans that have no qualms pre ordering their records without a second thought. Some even buying multiple copies. If anyone deserves to hear this album ASAP it's Via Chicago.

2. Most of the folks that can go to these local wilco listening parties, will do so, even if they already heard the album, and have a copy pre ordered with Kung Fu. The experience and all the contest drawings will be worth it alone.

3. Not everyone has a cool record store near them, or had the ability to attend the event anyway, due to work or family related reasons. It's a very few select people that get to experience these parties in the first place. If I "upset" these people, I apologize, but please understand there are a lot more people that can't go then can.

So in summary, I do feel guilty about "alerting" everyone on here about the leak. I do not want this band that has given so much to me since I first heard Them almost 2 decades ago with my wife to be, any financial hardship. However I truly believe that this is the place that deserves to hear new Wilco music the minute it's available.

So I apologize, and I hope the band and the mods on This board understands.

The band has a long history of letting their fans hear albums before their release. I remember listening to Ghost Is Born a week or two before the release on the band's website.

The reason we're not getting an early peak at the album this go-around is because of all the precious listening parties.

My first listen to a Wilco album AIN'T gonna be standing awkwardly at some record store I've never been to before, with a bunch of strangers. Who thought listening parties were a good idea?!

The reason we're not getting an early peak at the album this go-around is because of all the precious listening parties.

My first listen to a Wilco album AIN'T gonna be standing awkwardly at some record store I've never been to before, with a bunch of strangers. Who thought listening parties were a good idea?!

I've never been to one. Might be fun.

Either way we'll all hear it in a week, no bitterness necessary.

I may go to Peaches Records in NOLA next week to listen and hopefully win a raffle item. If not my CD is on the way and I snagged a signed copy of the book of posters. And there's new Wilco music on the way. I'm happy.

I absolutely want to honor the band's wishes & make sure that those listening parties are a joyous, surprising, grand premiere event... [continued]

Just chiming in to say that I loved reading that post. Thank you!

Let's all take a deep breath. The best conversations here will be about music and what the music brings out in all of us. I assume nobody here leaked the album. Blaming someone for taking advantage of the leak is like blaming a crack addict for not being able to resist crack. Also, most people on this website will buy the music in physical from, and see a show, and buy a t shirt. Wilco will not suffer financial from any activity on this message board. Deep breaths. We're all on the same team - Wilco.

Let's all take a deep breath. The best conversations here will be about music and what the music brings out in all of us. I assume nobody here leaked the album. Blaming someone for taking advantage of the leak is like blaming a crack addict for not being able to resist crack. Also, most people on this website will buy the music in physical from, and see a show, and buy a t shirt. Wilco will not suffer financial from any activity on this message board. Deep breaths. We're all on the same team - Wilco.

Not to be such a cynical girl, but I fully expect there to be no more than 1 or 2 other people at the listening party I'm going to in Virginia Beach. When Star Wars came out they did something similar at a local brewery, with all kind of giveaways including a signed vinyl copy of the album, and my friend and I were the only entrants. I assume there's more interest in bigger cities.

Unfortunately, I expect the same here. I was ecstatic yet astonished to learn that a party had been scheduled for my small Wisconsin city with rich farm history. (It's a nice place to live, but if I want arts and culture, I need to drive 45 minutes to Milwaukee.) When I mentioned the party to a knowledgeable local music fan, he had no idea it was happening--which worried me, since he works at the same music store.

Worse, I learned today that my work schedule is going to directly conflict with the listening party (damn you, late meetings), so the party's attendance just got cut in half.

Wow Mr Link. Here is my take in less words.

I heard it leaked from a friend , that doesn't post here. Although I may have alerted the board first, I have no idea where it originated from. Either does he.

The Internet works almost instantaneous these days. So once it's out there , there isn't much you can do.

I made the board aware immedialty for a few reasons.

1. Out of all the corners of the Internet, this is probably the largest gathering of hardcore Wilco fans. Fans that not only have seen them live and follow all their concert set lists, but Fans that have no qualms pre ordering their records without a second thought. Some even buying multiple copies. If anyone deserves to hear this album ASAP it's Via Chicago.

2. Most of the folks that can go to these local wilco listening parties, will do so, even if they already heard the album, and have a copy pre ordered with Kung Fu. The experience and all the contest drawings will be worth it alone.

3. Not everyone has a cool record store near them, or had the ability to attend the event anyway, due to work or family related reasons. It's a very few select people that get to experience these parties in the first place. If I "upset" these people, I apologize, but please understand there are a lot more people that can't go then can.

So in summary, I do feel guilty about "alerting" everyone on here about the leak. I do not want this band that has given so much to me since I first heard Them almost 2 decades ago with my wife to be, any financial hardship. However I truly believe that this is the place that deserves to hear new Wilco music the minute it's available.

So I apologize, and I hope the band and the mods on This board understands.

My intention wasn't to aim anything at you personally, far from it... in fact, if you read carefully in regards to your role, my feelings are quite the opposite. And I wouldn't feel guilty at all if I were you, you weren't trying to burst anyone's bubble. As you noted when you arrived here, it was already out there & it was most likely to happen anyhow (almost impossible to stop it anymore)... here's what I wrote again in those regards- "Finally there was all the excitement & drama here last night as good intentioned & generous Spirits, who clearly just didn't wanna wait, shared the bounty of the actual global public internet file leak last night. I was among those who were so Blessed."

That makes you a "well intentioned & generous Spirit" my friend & the primary one that led me to getting it last night. Obviously it's out there & I'd have gotten eventually, but let me just formally say thanks. Today's EU Frocksteady download eclipses the whole issue now anyhow.

You also show concern & a conscience via your responses in regards to the band's wishes here on ViaChicago. That's very laudable, so add integrity, empathy & compassion to you growing list of good attribues...

In regards to your listed & numbered points...

1. I couldn't agree more. I sent the file to a couple of folks here who'd requested it from it from me, right after I got it (before they asked us not to continue that). And, as I said, I was loading up my cannon to send out a group email to about a dozen or so like minded folks who I know would choose to hear it sooner than later, whether they were going to any of the listening parties or not. Personally I am one of the ones who will always choose to hear something from someone whose work I love soonerer than laterer.

2. Absolutely.

3. I am now one of the people that isn't any closer than a 3 hour round tripper & probably won't be able to make it myself.

And I don't think you've caused them any financial hardship. I think the issue was about keeping it a surprise & like I said, I think you came here to let like minded folks here make their own choice about the, almost certainly inevitable, availability in a Spirit of great generosity.

Nothing was aimed at anyone in my writing... just some ideas & hopefully fun perspectives about how to best keep things as close to the possible plans & intentions of the band & their hopes for how this release was meant to be unveiled in the light of all that was happening now. I don't think anyone has any ill feeling towards you that I'm aware & certainly not me. And, like I said, personally I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about or apologize for either.

I've never been to one. Might be fun.

Either way we'll all hear it in a week, no bitterness necessary.

It's very honorable of Wilco...clearly a show of support to record stores.

But I feel very confident we'd all get a stream of Schmilco over the weekend if not for the, in my opinion, ghey idea of holding listening parties on Sept. 6th.

How is this recording? I am/was interested but read that you'd basically be listening to a bunch of screaming teenage girls?

There's the screaming Beatlemania effect in full force to be sure, but this was recorded by Capitol Records & I think the band sounds amazing & the sound, back when it was released in 1977, was pretty darn good. I'm more curious to hear the new 4 tracks, but also interested to see what, with all the current technological advances of the last, gasp, 40 years, might have been done to make it sound even that much better.

Here's two tracks they've made available prerelease ("Twist & Shout" and "A Hard Day's Night")

1) http://thebeatles.lnk.to/TwistAndShout_LATHB

2) http://thebeatles.lnk.to/AHardDaysNight_LATHB

and, here's some version of the old vinyl

1) Side 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEeLAk7Tk1Y

2) Side 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--2sQjG0eI

It was on 9/9/09 that both the mono & stereo Beatles Box Sets got released 7 years ago. Enjoy & onward to return of the son of 9/9!!

I think "lame" works just fine without being insulting.

I think the listening parties will be a lot of fun. :party

"Lame" works pretty well, but doesn't capture my feeling of listening parties at record stores quite as perfectly as ghey does. 

From what I've heard of Schmilco, it sounds more unforced and natural than some of the songs on their more recent records. Looking forward to hearing it.

"Lame" works pretty well, but doesn't capture my feeling of listening parties at record stores quite as perfectly as ghey does.

But it makes you look like a jerk (which I'm assuming you're not) and totally distracts from your point (which I assume you don't want).

Hopefully there will be at least 6 or 7 more pages about word selection in the Schmilco thread. Followed!

My sentiments exactly. Thanks for beating me to the punch on this.