• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig the new song...still not sure about Locater though.

It seems we are in for another short record.

Could you consider Star Wars/Schmilco a double album of sorts? Similar to Kid A/Amensiac?

I remember Jeff saying that when they made agib they had material to make a garage/punk record, a noise rock record and a folk record but they ended up weaving an eclectic album. A while before the Whole Love they talked about doing a double album with rippers on one disc and a sad/beautiful second disc. Once again it didn't happen that way.

I think the one-two punch of Star Wars and Schmilco is the boys finally getting to do something they've talked about for years.

yeah, not worth paying the international shipping fees. I could probably wait and get it for $5 cheaper if I wanted, but I like supporting the band directly.

Oh yeah, absolutely - I'm not quite that obsessed. I'll grab the album once it hits the shelves. As I did with Star Wars last year.

I went ahead an pre-ordered the limited orange vinyl. Just realized I never bought Star Wars (although I did buy one of the recommended albums that Wilco suggested in place of paying for it...Girl Pool).

The weekly contests look fun. Did I miss the tote bag option??

August 30th winner (Signed guitar from the Loft):

August 31st winner (22" custom Schmilco wall clock. These are made exactly like the originals and fabricated only with parts made in the USA.  Featuring all steel and glass construction, this is a  real neon clock that will last a lifetime.):

September 1st winner (Awesome mystery prize to be announced at a later date

Nice, what great news to wake up to! Limited edition vinyl ordered. Kung Fu continues to be ridiculous with their shipping prices to Canada. The shipping was 75 cents cheaper than the album! I'm glad the coloured version was available online this time, last time it was a hassle to find a record store that would ship a white version of Star Wars for a decent price. Looks like they realized not everyone has independent record stores nearby these days, unfortunately.

Hopefully Wilco plays the new album in Seattle, it'll be a week before the album comes out! Live would be a great way to first experience the new songs.

I'll be that guy:

Wilco (The Album)

Star Wars

Schmilco

Wilco is falling into a pattern of lazy album titles.  I prefer bands come up with their own shit.  I can't fault them on the quality of the music, however, and that's the main thing that matters.  But still, it's all part of the package, and I prefer none of it be lazy. 

I'll be that guy:

Wilco (The Album)

Star Wars

Schmilco

Wilco is falling into a pattern of lazy album titles.  I prefer bands come up with their own shit.  I can't fault them on the quality of the music, however, and that's the main thing that matters.  But still, it's all part of the package, and I prefer none of it be lazy. 

They have named albums after two movies now...Being There and Star Wars. I'm ok with the album titles.

Love this: "Twelve new songs and a vibe that Jeff Tweedy calls “joyously negative.”"

From the press release:

"Schmilco finds band leader Tweedy in a state of alienation: how to cope with dissonance between self-identity and the public perception of his band – to maintain an innocence and earnestness even as some have come to see him as more (or less) than human, and Wilco as something other than six musicians?

“I think this record is ‘joyously negative’,” Tweedy said. “It’s sad in a lot of ways but not in any that reach a conclusion of doom or hopelessness… I just had a lot of fun being sour about the things that upset me.”

Really like the new song.