There's a romantic notion of a band like Wilco recording mostly live in the studio together. And they've done that on albums like Sky Blue Sky and The Whole Love. I just don't think those are particularly great albums for Wilco. Especially in comparison to Star Wars. The performances on those albums are great but the songs are lacking. If recording the songs separately lets the band do something as fresh sounding as Star Wars and the Schmilco preview songs, I'm ok with that. I'd sacrifice the warm studio intimacy that records like The Whole Love had for all around better songs.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my limited knowledge, it seems that Jeff wrote a ton of new material, and just hand picked what he thought would work as Tweedy songs, and what would work as Wilco songs. Possible the Wilco songs needed something more, that the rest of the gang came to help out on.

There are a number of bands (and especially pop stars) that record separate tracks and then mix them all together for the end process. It's nothing new. But I do think it takes a little away from the overall coherence of an album. It's also a lot less romantic to think of the album being put together in pieces instead of days of sitting in the studio and working things out as a group.

If you follow Radiohead, you'll know that their latest album was the result of many months holed up in a French studio laying down tracks and experimenting. They even had the artist present creating variations of the album art while they worked. That's a much more collaborative effort.

Radiohead only spent ~2 weeks in France last year. They recorded 80% of AMSP during that period. There's a recent NPR interview where Jonny talks about it. Stanley Donwood always does their artwork in the studio as they record. I don't think RH is too dissimilar from Wilco in the sense that Thom, like Jeff, always brings the core of a song, and the others add to it. What does Jeff think of RH, btw? I know Glenn was on Phil's record and that some members of each band played together in NZ for 7 Worlds Collide.

It was longer that two weeks, I believe closer to 2 months from what I remember, and that my have only been the initial recordings.

I guess it's all opinion, but I think Whole Love stands out with their strongest output. it's also produced and layered very well. It's a very dense record, which I feel is the result of all that studio time. Songs like the one take One Sunday Morning, couldn't really occur in a piecemeal process.

I guess it's all opinion, but I think Whole Love stands out with their strongest output. it's also produced and layered very well. It's a very dense record, which I feel is the result of all that studio time. Songs like the one take One Sunday Morning, couldn't really occur in a piecemeal process.

I totally agree, but back to my original point, I don't think a holed up Wilco could light off "The Joke Explained" with a wry shrug, the same way a flown in overdub doesn't yield an "Art of Almost".

Hopefully Tweedy will be ready to open up the committee now that these whimsical albums have been realized.

If I had a media copy, and I'm not saying I do, but if I did, I would say the closest analogy is Sukierae. Definitely some good tunes and adventurous, minor chord moods. One song is aggressively difficult. Album is subdued and introspective. But worthwhile. That is after two listens. Will check in after four listens.

That is, if I had heard it, which I'm not saying that I have.

If I had a media copy, and I'm not saying I do, but if I did, I would say the closest analogy is Sukierae. Definitely some good tunes and adventurous, minor chord moods. One song is aggressively difficult. Album is subdued and introspective. But worthwhile. That is after two listens. Will check in after four listens.

That is, if I had heard it, which I'm not saying that I have.

How long have you not had it?

Surprised it hasn't leaked by now.

I'm debating about not listening if it leaks. 

Not sure I will actually hold out, but I'm thinking about it. 

Remember when YHF leaked and somebody was cool enough to mail copies to those of us who couldn't listen due to dial-up internet? Man, that was a long time ago.

I pre-ordered the record the minute it was announced, and will try to find a copy the minute it leaks. Sorry, I have no control for stuff like this.

^Same. With a vinyl, a cd, and a t-shirt on the way, my conscience is clear. 

Remember when YHF leaked and somebody was cool enough to mail copies to those of us who couldn't listen due to dial-up internet? Man, that was a long time ago.

There are a lot of kids who have no idea what "B&P" might mean, and never will.

There are a lot of kids who have no idea what "B&P" might mean, and never will.

You two are getting me all nostalgic. I loved trading packages through the mail. It was happy mail.

Fellow Canadians... packages from Wilco's Kung Fu store usually come up via Puralator, correct? I don't want Schmilco to get trapped in the mail if this strike goes long.

EDIT:

Unrelated bad news via an e-mail from Kung Fu:

September 9 is fast approaching and we're already assembling your "Schmilco" orders. First, thank you for your preorder. And secondly, as we whistle while we work, we've got a few updates we must share.

Regretfully, some Orange "Schmilco" LP customers may not receive their order by release date due to a manufacturer delay. The delay will not be extensive and you will have a digital copy available in your account to access on September 9. As soon as the Orange LPs arrive, all orders will be shipped ASAP. We apologize for this, and appreciate your understanding.

Sounds like it's "some" and not all? Hopefully if we got our orders in right away we'll get it when we were suppose to? 

First Nels' vinyl is delayed and now this one. Bummer, but not a huge deal. I wonder what the story is.

Not sure what the deal with Wilco Schmilco is but I heard the vinyl of Nels' record was delayed because he rejected two test pressings. Personally I'd rather wait a little longer and get the best possible pressing. Too much new vinyl these days has quality control issues, IMHO.

Yeah, and as someone who does shorter-run, DIY financed stuff I can say that all of the plants have been slammed for the past few years.  The vinyl boom has made everything take forever.  You used to be able to turn around 500 copies of a 12" in 3-4 months, now it's often 9-10 months.

I imagine the thousands of copies the Wilcos latest would take precedent over some small short run, but with Taylor Swift making her vinyl at the same place as your neighborhood punk bands there's a lot of scheduling that can go wrong.

The album shown at that link has only 5 autographs...where's Pat?!

Not sure what the deal with Wilco Schmilco is but I heard the vinyl of Nels' record was delayed because he rejected two test pressings. Personally I'd rather wait a little longer and get the best possible pressing. Too much new vinyl these days has quality control issues, IMHO.

I have to agree. I'd rather wait and have a good pressing.

I have to agree. I'd rather wait and have a good pressing.

Which there will be two of...white and pink which I could have accessed (or still can if I want to buy a second copy). Not sure this orange version was worth it for me.

I ordered the orange vinyl but frankly I don't care if it's delayed a bit. I actually wrote back to Kung Fu to let them know that if they were looking for people who didn't mind a delay they could add my name to that list. I probably won't get around to listening to it on a turntable for a little while.