Wilco — 21 August 2016, Chicago, IL (Jay Pritzker Pavilion)

I'm sure plenty of folks will chime in eventually, and maybe I will add more too, but as Jeff basically said in his radio interview with the Current prior to Saturday's Minneapolis show, this is the setlist he has come up with that he feels works best for a big outdoor show and the band is pretty much sticking to it for the time being (though as Jeff also alluded to in the interview, that could end as soon as they start playing more intimate indoor shows starting next month).

In any case, there weren't many surprises for those who have been following the band's recent performances — although we did get the tiniest bit of spice with What Light in the hootenanny second encore...muy caliente! — but that didn't necessarily mean the show was boring. Rather, it probably thrilled the vast majority of the audience who either hadn't seen Wilco play in 13 months...or ever. For those of us who have been fortunate to be able to see a show or several since the last Chicago performance, we must find our satisfaction in some of the nuances of the music itself, and/or the various performances of said music — or risk coming off as embittered. :ninja

And there were definitely some highlights, at least for me. Nels continues to come up with some beautiful guitar work on Impossible Germany, which he has played hundreds of times but would never be the same in the hands of another guitarist IMHO. Locator, to my ears anyway, continues to build steam as a core track off the forthcoming Wilco Schmilco. I thought the version I heard in Minneapolis was the best I had heard it sound yet, and tonight's rendition was also a winner. It's also always fun to hear the "rock songs, etc." sequence of Red-Eyed>I Got You>Outtasite at a big outdoor show, but a little like the show itself, the vastness of the venue might have robbed the trifecta of some of its power.

As with many of these recent shows, Banter Corner has been a bit barren. Tonight Jeff used the rare occasions when he spoke to reiterate how happy he was to be back in Chicago, saying just before The Late Greats, for instance, that "I can't think of any other place I'd want to call home." Other than that, he tried pretty hard to get complete audience participation in the clapping bit at the end of Spiders and largely seemed to succeed before the whole thing quickly fell apart when the clapping sped up, as it usually does. "That was an honest effort," Jeff said with a slightly resigned smile. "I think that was just fine." A bit later, he jokingly responded to someone in the crowd who yelled for more bass after Locator (which features John and Pat both playing bass) with the comment that, "We're working on a song with three." ;)

Anyway, for now, here was the complete setlist as played for tonight's big homecoming show at Millennium Park (didn't personally get a look at a printed setlist tonight, but I heard that What Light was added to it):

More...
Random Name Generator
The Joke Explained
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart>
Art Of Almost
Pickled Ginger
Hummingbird
Handshake Drugs
Cold Slope>
King Of You
Via Chicago>
Spiders (Kidsmoke) (electric arrangement)
If I Ever Was A Child
Jesus, etc.
Locator
Box Full Of Letters
Heavy Metal Drummer>
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Impossible Germany
The Late Greats
----------------------------
Red-Eyed And Blue>
I Got You (At The End of the Century)>
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
----------------------------
Misunderstood*
It's Just That Simple*
War On War*
What Light*
Passenger Side*
I'm Always In Love*
California Stars*
A Shot in the Arm*

*— performed hootenanny style with band on acoustic instruments

You would have preferred triad? Or trio? Triumvirate, perhaps? :shifty

Trilogy? I remember way back when that meant Red Eyed > I Got You > Someone Else's Song.

I could not resist the joking shout out for more base after another two bass locator. I thought Jeff might have used two guitars that i did not notice (maybe just me) in Madison or Minneapolis. Thinking maybe ones he does not like to risk the road travel? Yes, muy caliente to get What Light. For now static setlist but playing really well. I also liked Jeff mid guitar strum adding a few claps for Pat's banjo solo as the crowd noted Pat's playing.

I could not resist the joking shout out for more base after another two bass locator. I thought Jeff might have used two guitars that i did not notice (maybe just me) in Madison or Minneapolis. Thinking maybe ones he does not like to risk the road travel? Yes, muy caliente to get What Light. For now static setlist but playing really well. I also liked Jeff mid guitar strum adding a few claps for Pat's banjo solo as the crowd noted Pat's playing.

Thanks so much for the ticket. I had a great seat!  Saw Jeff's wife a few rows ahead. 

I believe the precise mathematical definition would be a 3-tuple, commonly known as a treble or triplet.

But I think the 'three bangerz' would suffice in this case.

Trey bangerz sounds good to me (but maybe I just have sausages or rappers on the brain)...B)

My favorite location for a show of any kind and one of my favorite bands.  Such a beautiful location, and an absolutely perfect summer night.  And in the pavilion, my favorite kind of physical arrangement for a show; seats, so one can sit before they start, and to serve as a little reserved personal space areas when standing during the show. 

Everyone's got it pretty much covered above, except I'd like to mention the outstanding mix. I remember when they built the facility, reading about the sound system that delays audio to each speaker so it matches the time that sound arrives from stage.   This band excels with mixing at their live shows, but this was even more amazing. From my position in the pavilion, at least, it was the best I've ever heard indoor or out. Every instrument could be heard individually, and the levels were perfect for the band as a whole. Damn near symphony orchestra quality.  You could hear the acoustic guitar perfectly, amidst two screaming electrics. You could hear every maraca and tambourine shake, even during the rockers.  The drum mix was especially excellent. 

My favorite location for a show of any kind and one of my favorite bands.  Such a beautiful location, and an absolutely perfect summer night.  And in the pavilion, my favorite kind of physical arrangement for a show; seats, so one can sit before they start, and to serve as a little reserved personal space areas when standing during the show. 

Everyone's got it pretty much covered above, except I'd like to mention the outstanding mix. I remember when they built the facility, reading about the sound system that delays audio to each speaker so it matches the time that sound arrives from stage.   This band excels with mixing at their live shows, but this was even more amazing. From my position in the pavilion, at least, it was the best I've ever heard indoor or out. Every instrument could be heard individually, and the levels were perfect for the band as a whole. Damn near symphony orchestra quality.  You could hear the acoustic guitar perfectly, amidst two screaming electrics. You could hear every maraca and tambourine shake, even during the rockers.  The drum mix was especially excellent. 

I agree, the sound was great.  Stan is...the man!  Btw, Wilco used it's own sound system, I don't recall hearing anything from the house system.  I wonder if they used it in the lawn?  

I hadn't heard the Hootennany set yet and I was blown away.  I would have paid for a set of that alone; Mike on the harmonium, Nels on the lap steel, and Pat on vibes/banjo was just so, so good.  I am waiting eagerly hoping that someone was able to record last night.  

I've seen the boys 8 or 9 times I think, but I took a hiatus from Wilco live for a few years since the Whole Love tour, due to moving away and having no shows around us, so this was a fantastic return and probably in my top 3 times I've seen them behind the Kicking Television shows, and Jeff's solo show (not sure if that counts).

Seriously, that hootenany has me feeling some type of way and I love it.  Someone please upload a bootleg ASAP.  

Other than that, he tried pretty hard to get complete audience participation in the clapping bit at the end of Spiders and largely seemed to succeed before the whole thing quickly fell apart when the clapping sped up, as it usually does. "That was an honest effort," Jeff said with a slightly resigned smile. "I think that was just fine." 

That clapping thing was embarrassing.  Someone should do a study on why a large group of white people can't clap to a beat without speeding it up into an eventual disaster.  Jeff was even doing a visual demonstration ffs.  

Are they possibly headed to "Jazz Odyssey" with the multiple bass parts? :D

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have the blue venue poster available from this show? What a beautiful rendition of the space and the city! My girlfriend is from there and flew in to see the show for her birthday. She missed out on the print and I would love nothing more than to surprise her with one...

I struck out on the release via Kung Fu. Have been looking for weeks now with no luck. I would be interested in a print, artist edition, proof, or? (a damaged copy would be ok). Please let me know if you can help me out!

Appreciate it, 
Scott

wilp438.jpg