Schmilco Review Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling good about this one - it's the first time I've felt genuinely excited about a Wilco release since Sky Blue Sky (Star Wars doesn't count since it was a spontaneous drop.) I've had "If I Ever Was A Child" stuck in my head for a few days, I can't recall the last time that happened with a Wilco pre-album single/leaked track...maybe when I heard "You Are My Face" in early 2007 possibly.

I'm feeling good about this one - it's the first time I've felt genuinely excited about a Wilco release since Sky Blue Sky (Star Wars doesn't count since it was a spontaneous drop.) I've had "If I Ever Was A Child" stuck in my head for a few days, I can't recall the last time that happened with a Wilco pre-album single/leaked track...maybe when I heard "You Are My Face" in early 2007 possibly.

I'm trying to contain my enthusiasm out of fear it won't live up to any hype. I'm sure I won't hate it, but I don't often return to the well to listen to anything after "A Ghost Is Born." That way any surprise will be of the pleasant variety. Still I pre-ordered it the day it became available and will anxiously await its release.

I'm trying to contain my enthusiasm out of fear it won't live up to any hype. I'm sure I won't hate it, but I don't often return to the well to listen to anything after "A Ghost Is Born." That way any surprise will be of the pleasant variety. Still I pre-ordered it the day it became available and will anxiously await its release.

A similar case for me. I loved (and still love Sky Blue Sky) but it was a case of diminishing returns for WTA and The Whole Love. I've since come to enjoy WTA as a slight, yet enjoyable affair, however with The Whole Love (my thoughts on this album are fairly well known on this forum) it's still a case of a few highlights scattered among material I find frustratingly difficult to engage with emotionally. As for Star Wars, I think it's Wilco's best record since Sky Blue Sky and I still get a great deal of playability out of it. My white vinyl's become pretty much a staple of late Sunday mornings. 

Yeah the fact that Star Wars was easily the best Wilco album since A Ghost Is Born only makes the excitement for Schmilco worse. I was definitely not this excited for The Whole Love or Wilco The Album.