Normal American Kids is a "classic"

"occasionally verges on pleasant blandness"

"Spencer plays drums on it"

Sounds solid but not great.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what else are we supposed to talk about? We are spoiled these days and are used to hearing the record before the reviews. So that's all we have now. Once it leaks or released I'm sure there will be an "impressions" thread.

I do think it's a little strange that spencer would be credited on the record. It kinda proves my theory that a lot of these songs were written around the same time as tweedy songs were, and Jeff picked which Songs he wanted for each band.

How would you feel if Spencer became the full time drummer of Wilco....

Spencer is a good drummer maybe even great but Glenn is a genius.

I thought it was interesting hearing on Song Exploder how Magnetized was recorded with Glenn replacing Spencer's parts. 

I'm a big fan of The Whole Love. But I digress.

Ditto

... my theory that a lot of these songs were written around the same time as tweedy songs were, and Jeff picked which Songs he wanted for each band.

That has been confirmed in interviews.

If this happened, they'd have to also add a percussionist.  Spencer would also need to learn to play in more than one tempo and widen his dynamic range significantly. I don't mean to single out Spencer with this criticism, as I feel it applies to most drummers (including myself). Especially as compared to Glenn.

I don't think this will ever happen. Spencer recording drums because he is available and Glenn is not doesn't mean anything at all.

If anything, Spencer may become the full time drummer for Whitney. Julien, Whitney's singer/drummer, asked Spencer in an interview that if he ever wanted to just become a front man/guitarist for Whitney if Spencer would play drums and he agreed that he would.

http://www.wweek.com/music/2016/08/30/local-dad-ranks-every-wilco-album/

Here is a rather terrible article. I disagree with almost all of it. He states Schmilco is "concert filler" for their "Dad Rock" anthems.

Ugh...

Somebody posted this "review" in the Shot in the Arm Facebook group, and the first commenter said (quoting the article) that the writer seems to have been hopped up on goofballs. Lol!

http://www.wweek.com/music/2016/08/30/local-dad-ranks-every-wilco-album/

Here is a rather terrible article. I disagree with almost all of it. He states Schmilco is "concert filler" for their "Dad Rock" anthems.

Ugh...

Well, that 'review' is pretty much the epitome of laziness.

While reading that yesterday (courtesy of the Shot FB page), I became increasingly convinced that the author was only vaguely aware of Wilco. Terrible.

Maybe I'm getting weird pangs of deja vu, but wasn't their a review of Star Wars that was similar in tone and then went on to erratically rate the back catalogue?