Now Watching 2017

I thought we were about due for a fresh new "Now Watching" thread, seeing as the old one is 69 pages and 6 years old!

Here's a link to that previous thread. 

http://viachicago.org/topic/44382-now-watching/page-69

Keep up all the intriguing recommendations! I'll need to live to be over 400 to view everything on my list, but keep 'em coming anyway. :)

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Season 2 of "Rectify" and loving it so far.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Season 2 of "Rectify" and loving it so far.

Awesome show! Ready for the next (and final) season.

Took me a month but I finally finished all six seasons of Shameless. Loved it. Now I need something else to start on.

Started "The Get Down" last night. It took a while before I got into the first episode, but I think it's gonna be a fun ride.

It drew me in over the course of the first 6 episodes. Looking forward to see how the rest of the season pans out.

Awesome show! Ready for the next (and final) season.

I'm now halfway through season 3. I didn't realize the next season is the last. That's probably a good thing I suppose.

I very much enjoyed the regionalism and unique tone of the first episode of Atlanta. Strong stuff. Now I just need to find the time to stay caught up with the rest.

I very much enjoyed the regionalism and unique tone of the first episode of Atlanta. Strong stuff. Now I just need to find the time to stay caught up with the rest.

I watched this last night. Very intriguing. Pamela Adlon's new show is off to a good start too.

FX channel is gaining a reputation as a place where show runners have total creative control.

Finished the first season of "Ash vs Evil Dead" last night. Holy hell, that couldn't have been any better. Cant wait for season two.

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered the original Monty Python's Flying Circus shows on YouTube, listed in order by episode. First one is Monty Python 1X1, then 1X2, etc. Seeing a lot of bits I'd never seen before, along with many of the classics.

Poor Terry Jones is suffering from severe dementia.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/oct/04/monty-python-terry-jones-dementia-diagnosis-michael-palin

Anyone here watching the Luke Cage on Netflix. Really digging it a whole lot.

LouieB

Yes.  The fact that these netflix marvel shows are in the same universe as agents of shield and the goofy movies is hilarious.

Straight Outta Compton. I was generally familiar with their story, having grown up during the same years when they were active. I'm a fan of music biopics, so I really enjoyed it. 

Also saw Deepwater Horizon, which I also liked. Kurt Russell and John Malkovich were money, and the movie does a good job of telling the stories of the men and women who were on the rig the night of the blowout. 

I saw a movie in a theater for the first time in a long time yesterday: Deepwater Horizon

Lots of action and drama and explosions and if that is your kind of thing you will be entertained. The event itself, of course, is such a tragedy and I felt awful for everyone on the rig the entire movie. It definitely lays the blame on BP. I found it interesting that there was no mention of government regulations etc.

On a side note: 22 minutes of previews and $12.50 for a ticket make going to the movies a really obnoxious undertaking.

On a side note: 22 minutes of previews and $12.50 for a ticket make going to the movies a really obnoxious undertaking.

I totally agree!

I go to the movies more than anyone I know, and yet I manage to not spend very much money on it at all. And I live less than one hour's drive from NYC, so it's not like I live in a low-cost area. A couple of theaters by me charge only $5-$6 for any showing before noon, so I often go to the movies on a weekend late morning. And there are several other theaters that have $6 Tuesday all day, and one is $5 all the time.

I didn't go to the movies for a long time because of the price, and then I just found a way to do it inexpensively. There really is nothing like seeing a film on the big screen.

Yes.  The fact that these netflix marvel shows are in the same universe as agents of shield and the goofy movies is hilarious.

Very true. Can you image Jessica Jones punching Ultron or Ronan?