Now Watching 2017

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched "Get Out" recently. We didn't realize that was the dude from Black Mirror's "15 Million Merits" until afterwards. Anyhow, good stuff!

My wife just texted me saying she's purchasing tix for the new Star Wars movie tonight and asking if I want to go. I kind of don't because I don't know what the hell is happening with the story line (I saw the first one in the theater in '77 or whenever it was, the one last year, and 1-2 in the creamy middle), but I like to eat popcorn and figured I could, at the very least, nap.

Lammy is gonna walk in with the wrong kind of point ears on. 

Probably will see it this Sunday morning -- its nice being a heathen, our go to  movie going day/time is Sunday mornings, typically the 1st showtimes starts around 9:30am or 9:45am - it's cheaper and no crowds.

Lammy is gonna walk in with the wrong kind of point ears on. 

Probably will see it this Sunday morning -- its nice being a heathen, our go to  movie going day/time is Sunday mornings, typically the 1st showtimes starts around 9:30am or 9:45am - it's cheaper and no crowds.

Haha. Right, and saying Nanu-Nanu to everyone in the lobby....

I go to about 1 movie per year and I like your plan.

I loved Star Wars. I saw it last night in a hot & packed theater.

I thought that Three Billboards was the angriest film of the year and one of the best. I'd definitely see it again over the next few weeks.

Last Flag Flying was a pure pleasure to watch. Linklater wrote a great script here & Bryan Cranston was the standout character. This was a "spiritual" sequel to the 70s The Last Detail.

I liked Lady Bird, but I didn't love it.

I really enjoyed Zoe Lister-Jones' directorial debut Band Aid. Couple decides to put their fights to music. Fred Armisen plays a great "weird" neighbor.

Chuck was a pretty good boxing movie. Liev Schrieber plays Chuck Wepner who went 15 rounds against Muhammad Ali. This is where Stallone got the inspiration for Rocky. Great late 70s disco soundtrack.

The Disaster Artist was one of my faves from this year. This will make a great double feature with Ed Wood. James Franco is perfect as Tommy Wiseau. It helps if you've ever seen The Room or are aware of it, but this film goes over the making of The Room so you get filled in fairly easily. Great soundtrack here.

RE: Godless - it is deliberately paced over seven episodes.

Translation: it can be slow, but it doesn't take too long to get the payoff.

I'm eager to start Errol Morris's Wormwood on Netflix.

Finally watched Wonder Woman. It was just OK though I admit to not being a fan of superhero movies. I can think of worse ways to spend two and a half hours than watching Gal Gadot, however. 

I zipped right through Wormwood which I found completely fascinating & engrossing.

I had fun with the recent Jumanji. I wonder if the Jack Black character will cause some controversy in some circles.

I thought that The Greatest Showman was ok. It had way too much music and not enough plot/dialog. I think if it had a competing vision by someone like Tim Burton without the music I would have found that version more interesting. The "freaks" are just there without any backstory at all.

Saw "It Comes At Night" recently. Lordy, what a snooze fest. Acting was fine but that plot....yeesh.

Also, "North By Northwest". Somehow I've never seen this one until last night. Good stuff, not Hitchcock's best but up there.

Haven't seen it yet - but I guess there is documentary out regarding Grant's LSD sessions - North By Northwest came out during the period of time he was using LSD.

Never knew that he used LSD, before I read about the doc.

Regarding psychedelics - I have been enjoying the Hamilton's Pharmacopeia  show on Vice --- I ordered Sling to watch the MLB playoffs - but haven't gotten to cancel it yet.

Finally finished season two of "Stranger Things" and moved on to season two of "The Crown."  Also saw "Lady Bird" in the theater Thursday --  good movie. 

An Adventure in Time and Space (2013)

A dramatization of the early years of Doctor Who (1963), with the story revolving around BBC executive Sydney Newman, novice producer Verity Lambert and actor William Hartnell.

I don't recall seeing this before.

We watched "The Book Thief" last night. Had never heard of it and was pleasantly surprised by how well done it was.