Now Watching 2017

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Stranger Things and now moving on to Broadchurch.

Both good shows, I didn't follow through with the second season of Broadchurch after watching s02e01 but the first season is stellar. 

Tig Notaro's "One Mississippi". Binged it last night. Good.

I thought this was just okay. I know cancer isn't supposed to be funny, necessarily, but it can be as Tig Notaro herself proved in her stand-up. Like just about anyone I've had my share of experiences with cancer in my direct environment so please don't take offence at this.  I don't mind a serious show but I somehow thought Louis C.K. behind this would end up making this dramedy erring more on the side of comedy than drama.

I watched this last night. Very intriguing. Pamela Adlon's new show is off to a good start too.

FX channel is gaining a reputation as a place where show runners have total creative control.

"Better Things" is very good in my opinion, Louis C.K. is producing this also, not surprising he gets to retain creative control after the good it did for FX with Louie. "Legit" by comedian Jim Jeffries seemed like another FX show where creative freedom was honored by the network FX.  

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Season 2 of "Rectify" and loving it so far.

I firmly believe this is one of the best shows to come out the last few years on any network. I felt this show respected my emotional intelligence and left out any attempts of cheap manipulation. What a treat. 

I discovered the original Monty Python's Flying Circus shows on YouTube, listed in order by episode. First one is Monty Python 1X1, then 1X2, etc. Seeing a lot of bits I'd never seen before, along with many of the classics.

I've just rewatched the entire series of Mr. Show on youtube, which I bring up because it's kind of the Monthy Python for '90s kids imo. Mr. Show is still some kind of gold standard for absurd sketch comedy.

The real Monthy Python is due for a rewatch too, what a good reminder. 

------------------------------

The Get Down and Ash vs. Evil Dead are two shows I've moved to the front of my queue after mentions in this thread. Thanks!

I've just checked out "Westworld", the new scifi western show on HBO. It's too soon to tell much after two episodes but they've attracted some major movie stars like Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris in good roles. The 16 year old in this 28 year old body gives it a careful thumbs up.
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw "Lets Scare Jessica to Death" the other day. An odd, spooky little horror flick from 1971.

Really digging "Stranger Things" too. Soooo many 1980s references makes it that much more fun.

Saw "Lets Scare Jessica to Death" the other day. An odd, spooky little horror flick from 1971.

Really digging "Stranger Things" too. Soooo many 1980s references makes it that much more fun.

We have watched the first 6 episodes - real great stuff --- and, yeah, like in the early 80's movies (and maybe in real life) the parents are never around.

It's nice to watch Ryder in a good role again. Great soundtrack, too.

I was 11 in 83 (the kids are 12 in the show) - but I definitely see myself (and my friends) in all three of the kids.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw "Arrival" earlier this week and "Bleed for This" today.

"Arrival" is really good though I'm still trying to figure it out and want to watch it again to hopefully catch what I missed the first time. It's not your garden variety alien movie. Very cerebral and well-done. Amy Adams is terrific. 

"Bleed for This" isn't the most exciting or captivating boxing film, but Miles Teller's portrayal of Vinny Pazienza is really strong and Aaron Eckhart's transformation into Kevin Rooney is phenomenal. If you know the two real-life men who are being portrayed by Teller and Eckhart, you'll really appreciate their acting efforts. 

Watched "Miss Sharon Jones" & "Mavis!" Both are excellent music documentaries on two of my favorite musicians. I'm still heartbroken over Sharon Jones's passing. Also went to the theater today to watch "Hacksaw Ridge," which I very much enjoyed. That an unarmed man actually saved 75 of his fellow soldiers on an active battlefield without ever firing a single shot is nothing short of miraculous. Definitely a powerful statement on the courage of conviction. I can't believe I'd never heard of Desmond Doss prior to seeing this movie. 

Too Late - Dennis Hauck's debut is a neo-film noir that was shot on film in 5 22 minute individual takes with no hidden cuts or editing, but clever transitions. I'll admit that the film was written to sound like dialog that film characters speak, but it works as an homage to the genre and was hugely entertaining to watch. The cinematography is outstanding and the whole production is a technical achievement. John Hawkes plays a private investigator and that's all that I'll say about the plot. I believe that this only played in theaters that had film projectors. It's available on iTunes and doesn't have any DVD planned yet. I can't wait to see what Hauck does next.

I reviewed this back in August and it's the .99 rental of the week on iTunes through Monday the 28th.

Just finished up Good Girls Revolt and Red Oaks.  Enjoyed both.  

Also been watching Soundbreaking on PBS.  I have a couple more episodes left, but I've been pretty impressed. I might wrap that one up tonight.

I've been watching Goliath on Amazon.  Great cast (Billy Bob Thornton, William Hurt, Maria Bello etc), but it's a little too cliché-ridden for me.

Just watched a series called 3% on Netflix. It was pretty good, but if you can't tolerate subtitles don't bother. It's from Brazil and in Portuguese.

Basic story is that when you turn 20 in the post modern world you go through a process that o determine if you deserve/earn the right to a better life. Only 3% of those who start the process make it to the better life.

Anybody watching the Netflix series The Crown? My wife "made" me start watching it over break last week and I think we finished it last night. I'm assuming there are more shows in the works...?

Saw it and generally liked it. Definitely leaves room for more seasons as this season covered from Elizabeth's marriage to the mid-Late 50's.

Anybody watching the Netflix series The Crown? My wife "made" me start watching it over break last week and I think we finished it last night. I'm assuming there are more shows in the works...?

Netflix has said there will be six seasons, each with 10 episodes, and each season covering about a decade.  Not sure if the key cast members have committed to that.

Netflix has said there will be six seasons, each with 10 episodes, and each season covering about a decade.  Not sure if the key cast members have committed to that.

This series will likely outlive me. I should just quit it now.

Watched "Zombeavers" recently. I almost bailed on it after 30 minutes but I'm glad I didn't. Lots of big dumb B movie fun with the added bonus of eye candy galore AND having a swinging theme song.

Watched "Zombeavers" recently. I almost bailed on it after 30 minutes but I'm glad I didn't. Lots of big dumb B movie fun with the added bonus of eye candy galore AND having a swinging theme song.

I almost watched this one during Halloween, but went with Wolf Cop instead which was similar: B movie fun with one of the most outrageous sex scenes I've ever seen set to Gowan's Moonlight Desires. It had lots of great one liners and a sequel is coming next year.