Now Watching 2017

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stumbled upon this movie while browsing Amazon Prime over the weekend:

MV5BMTQ2MDMwNjEwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTkx

I think it was up for a Best Animated Feature Oscar a couple years ago.

Wonderful film - if any of you are looking for an kids' flick that may have gone under your radar in the past couple years, this one really won me over. The hand-drawn animation is amazing. It's a modern Irish folk tale - by the same team that made The Book of Kells (maybe 7-8 years ago?) - another great film.

Stumbled upon this movie while browsing Amazon Prime over the weekend:

MV5BMTQ2MDMwNjEwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTkx

I think it was up for a Best Animated Feature Oscar a couple years ago.

Wonderful film - if any of you are looking for an kids' flick that may have gone under your radar in the past couple years, this one really won me over. The hand-drawn animation is amazing. It's a modern Irish folk tale - by the same team that made The Book of Kells (maybe 7-8 years ago?) - another great film.

Thanks for this recommendation - intelligent and beautiful kids' movies are always appreciated!

Thanks for this recommendation - intelligent and beautiful kids' movies are always appreciated!

The beautiful tone is set in the opening stanza - as the narrator quotes from WB Yeats' Stolen Child. The Waterboys set it to music on Fisherman's Blues:

My kids (2 and 4) tend to get obsessed with one movie/show at a time, and lately, it's been the 2 year old saying "Irish movie, papa" the moment he wakes up, every morning. My past couple days have been sick days at home, and I think I've seen bits of this movie every day since last weekend. 

"Moonrise Kingdom". Watched it twice over the weekend with the family. We loved it

Saw the new King Kong flick too. We like that one as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done watching (re-watching) Season 2 of Better Call Saul as my wife and I prep for the forthcoming Season 3. I watched a bunch of Season 2 last year but a lot of the content was missed or lost on me for various reasons.

Did the actor who plays "Mike" ever win any awards for this series? 

I really enjoyed Woody Harrelson in Wilson. It would make for a great double feature with Greenberg with Ben Stiller. I remember really loving Ghost World which is another Daniel Clowes' comic.

Trainspotting 2 was just an exhilarating experience. I'll admit that Danny Boyle is really hit or miss for me, but he really nailed the themes that made this sequel so damned good. I won't spoil the plot, but if the first film made some impact on you then definitely check it out. Truly surreal to see everyone back 20 years later.

I also loved Terrence Malick's Song To Song which I felt was the best film of the last 3 that he's put out in the last 4 years. I found Knight Of Cups to be too cold & distant and To The Wonder a bit too vague & repetitious even for Malick. Malick uses the SXSW backdrop and employs a lot of rock tracks mixed in with his distinctive style.

Trainspotting 2 was just an exhilarating experience. I'll admit that Danny Boyle is really hit or miss for me, but he really nailed the themes that made this sequel so damned good. I won't spoil the plot, but if the first film made some impact on you then definitely check it out. Truly surreal to see everyone back 20 years later.

Good to know. Haven't been hearing much on T2. Might catch it this week while on a business trip.

^ Was season 2 good? I love Odenkirk, but season 1 was kinda slow...

Yeah, it is. Picks up quite a bit and a familiar character or 2 (from Breaking Bad) emerges.

Odenkirk is fantastic. 

Need to check out Detectorists -- it sounds like it will be right up my kid's alley - he loves finding crap while we are out walking about. He is a big fan of American Pickers.

OK Tipper  - I'll watch an episode first, before I watch it with the kid.

(honestly thanks for the parental head's up, though now I have a dumb Judas Priest song in my head)

If you like to watch British shows - you will like it.

I am excited to read that filming is underway for new series of Doc Martin.

I recently had to resort to finding the final (?) episode of Jonathan Creek through means I have not done in years. I doubt it will end up being released over here or on a dvd that will play on non European players. I say that as the last run of the show was never released here or on a dvd that will play here. It was pretty good compared to the 2014 episode. If you have never seen that show - you can find the good original run on Youtube. I go on about that show as it may very well be my favorite. I actually own the whole thing on dvd. It seems surprising now that there was an American dvd release of the show.