Now Watching 2017

We watched the season 5 finale of Breaking Bad last night. What a wild ride!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are watching season 1 of BB, again. I don't have much sympathy for Walt this time around.

Just finished Season 5 of House of Cards.  Not sure what to think.  It's entertaining as hell, but so implausible.

Just finished Season 5 of House of Cards.  Not sure what to think.  It's entertaining as hell, but so implausible.

We're just finished ep. 5 of Season 5 --- with the current state of politics, so far none of this season seems implausible. Not saying it willl get there, though.

My wife and I are political hacks and use to enjoy this show, because of how implausible it was - now the show doesn't seem much of a distraction as it once was.

a lot of this season seemed to be art imitating life.

my wife and i have been watching Big Little Lies. 

i like it. the editing and the flow of the series is engaging. but damn those scenes w/ Nicole Kidman's character can be brutal to watch.

The wife and I just watched The Handmaid's Tale. I went in knowing nothing and expecting a historical drama. I was wrong! It was pretty great and also horribly depressing. I'm sure production on this started before the US election but it sure came out at a fitting time. 

canoa_07.jpg

Canoa: A Shameful Memory / dir. Felipe Cazals / Mexico / 1976

One of the key works of Mexican cinema. In 1968, several university workers are killed by a rural mob convinced they are Communists in a movie that effectively combines docudrama with ethnography and horror. By relaying the real-life incident through several unusual structural methods, including allegory and an occasional mock documentary style that partly functions as parody, director Felipe Cazals goes beyond analyzing mob mentality. He indicts much larger cultural and political dynamics. Watching it as an American in 2017, it’s hard not to recognize current topicality in its comprehension of how easily fear can be exploited to provoke fact-free hostility—especially when that evil is perpetrated in the name of God and country.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently watched I Called Him Morgan on Netflix.  It's a documentary about the jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan and his wife, and the tragic end of his life.

I had read about his death at some point so I knew where this story was going to go, but that didn't detract from the film. The story is engrossing, and the live music footage is terrific.

91N9VBvZHcL._SL1500_.jpg

Is this on Netflix or Amazon?  I need to see this.  I got to see BIlbo Walker in a couple years ago at Red's Juke Joint in Clarksdale.

Inglorious Basterds.  A film that soothed my nazi killing desires in a very satisfying way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished season 2 of Better Call Saul. I cracked a smile when he gave some love to the town of Cicero. That was one hell of a crazy place back in the 80s/90s.

We still haven't gotten around to watching Season 2 of Saul. We watched Season 1 and thought it was okay - it never really clicked, though. I am sure we will get to Season 2 one of these days.

Been watching Catastrophe on Amazon Prime -- great, funny British sitcom.

How far along are you?

We lost interest somewhere in season 2. 

Started strong though. Vicious stuff.

We got through the three seasons that are available.

Season 3 is good - definitely gets 'darker', though. The character who is always smoking the e-cig always cracks me up - the junkie is an interesting character, too - a different type of junkie role.

I would get back on it.