Schmilco Vinyl Mix

Hi,

I just put on my vinyl copy of the album for the first time and noticed the mix sounds very different compared to the digital version. For example on "If I Ever Was A Child" the guitar is almost imperceptible, it's almost entirely bass percussion and vocals. Very weird. Anyone else noticing this?

Has anyone noticed that their orange vinyl is popping and skipping quite a bit? I had to turn it off halfway through someone to lose because that and nope were all over the place. I've used my brush on it already but I might have to take a paper towel or something and hope it's just vinyl debris.

Folks on the Steve Hoffman message board have been complaining about the quality of the colored vinyl.  Issues with non-fill causing noise and side B being off center.  So rather than buying the colored vinyl at Newbury Comics, I decided to order the black from Amazon.  It was supposed to arrive Sunday, but I am still waiting.  Karma for not supporting my local record store.

Has anyone noticed that their orange vinyl is popping and skipping quite a bit? I had to turn it off halfway through someone to lose because that and nope were all over the place. I've used my brush on it already but I might have to take a paper towel or something and hope it's just vinyl debris.

NOOOOO!!! Do not, I can't repeat this enough, do NOT use paper towel on a vinyl record, that'll make things much worse. There's a few solutions online to cleaning records, don't use woodglue or something like that, but destilled water and a microfibre cloth should work. If you're serious about vinyl, I can't recommend the Spin Clean enough. It's pretty affordable and does a great job. 

I sought the advice of my wise and knowing audiophile buddy :). Here's what he came back with.  I may need to take this up with Kung Fu:

"Looks like the colored vinyl was done at Independent Record Pressing in  NJ, the black vinyl at QRP in Kansas.  QRP is an awesome shop.  Might have to go black on this one.  Lots of complaints on the orange wax, a number of people say their pinks are perfect, we’ll see.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/wilco-schmilco-new-lp-2016.567432/page-11

NOOOOO!!! Do not, I can't repeat this enough, do NOT use paper towel on a vinyl record, that'll make things much worse. There's a few solutions online to cleaning records, don't use woodglue or something like that, but destilled water and a microfibre cloth should work. If you're serious about vinyl, I can't recommend the Spin Clean enough. It's pretty affordable and does a great job. 

+1 - For goodness sake don't go anywhere near paper towels. If your local record store has a cleaner, I'd take it in there.

My orange vinyl is definitely off center on side B. The needle is moving back and forth at least an 1/8th of an inch! Just reached out to schmilcovinyl@gmail.com as Wilco instructed people to do on their FB page.

Yep I think this is what's going on with mine too. Think I've learned my lesson on colored vinyl, just not worth it.

On an almost completely unrelated note on my vinyl copy of the new Band of Horses, "Country Teen" has no vocals....straight instrumental. Google yields no results to my inquiries....guess I won the prize.

Maybe it is one of those weird ones that got through. I have a Dylan cd that does not have his name on the spine of the cd inlay card.

On an almost completely unrelated note on my vinyl copy of the new Band of Horses, "Country Teen" has no vocals....straight instrumental. Google yields no results to my inquiries....guess I won the prize.

FYI, on my digital copy of that the vocals are only on the right side.  May be that you're not properly hearing both channels?

Yeah I'd imagine there's something weird going on with your set up. I can't think of how the pressing process went wrong for that to be the case. It's possible, I suppose, but you should do some tests and make sure everything is set up correctly, just to be sure! 

I have the orange vinyl, but I'm currently moving and haven't been able to play it on my table yet. Hopefully it's ok..but based on what I'm reading most people ended up with "bad" copies.

For what it's worth, I have the orange vinyl and it sounds great. There's still hope!