Name me a book you wish you could entirely erase from your memory, simply so that you could discover it again as if for the first time. A book so good you wish it could be brand-new to you again.

I'll go with "The Brothers K" by David James Duncan

:love

Name me a book you wish you could entirely erase from your memory, simply so that you could discover it again as if for the first time. A book so good you wish it could be brand-new to you again.

I'll go with "The Brothers K" by David James Duncan

:love

This looks good. I added it to my want-to-read list.

I've never had much urges to re-read a books (though I did do that with Love in the Time of Cholera just to highlight all my favorite parts) so my entry in this list would be blank in that sense, in another sense I wish I could transport myself back to age 18 when I was cracking open all the Dark Tower books (Stephen King). There are better books but just the wonder turning each page at that age was amazing. This is in a kind of way me concurring with the above poster suggesting the Harry Potter series (of which I read the first four and then stopped).

I do immediately regret that books can't go on forever sometimes like Catch-22.

This looks good. I added it to my want-to-read list.

I've never had much urges to re-read a books (though I did do that with Love in the Time of Cholera just to highlight all my favorite parts) so my entry in this list would be blank in that sense, in another sense I wish I could transport myself back to age 18 when I was cracking open all the Dark Tower books (Stephen King). There are better books but just the wonder turning each page at that age was amazing. This is in a kind of way me concurring with the above poster suggesting the Harry Potter series (of which I read the first four and then stopped).

I do immediately regret that books can't go on forever sometimes like Catch-22.

I know exactly what you mean.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, no question. I was pleasantly surprised to see it already mentioned.

It's funny. That's probably the 6th Irving I've read and the first I didn't really like.

Maybe if it was my first taste of his work I'd like it more.

That is interesting. My first Irving was The World According to Garp, but that was when I was young and I read it after I saw the movie version.. I didn't read Irving again until A Prayer For Owen Meany came out. A friend had read it and raved, so I read it. I've been hooked on John Irving ever since. I've never enjoyed a book more. I've definitely enjoyed many books before and after, but there was something about Owen...

The original Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Except I can't say that I would like to erase them from my mind as I still continue to enjoy reading them again and again.

It probably wouldn't hit me the same way now, that it did when I was 12/13, but I haven't had a book hit me in the same way that I fell in love with Lord of the Rings.  I can still remember reading the bulk of The Two Towers in the back of our station wagon on a long trip back from Michigan. We were driving through rain most of the way. I didn't see Gandalf's return coming, so that was awesome. 

If there's a thrill I wish I could relive, it would be that. 

Hated the movies. 

There are so many. It makes me sad that I used to read so many more books than I do now. I'm still an insatiable reader, but more short pieces these days. Maybe if I can ever retire I'll get my book reading mojo back.

Anyway, two that immediately spring to mind are John Updike's Rabbit Run--and all its successors--and Catcher in the Rye.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, no question. I was pleasantly surprised to see it already mentioned.

but there was something about Owen...

Yes! Owen Meany. What a wonderful, beautiful book that would be to discover again.

I will add to that:

The World According to Garp - Irving (still cry when I re-read it)

Sometimes A Great Notion - Ken Kesey

David Copperfield - Dickens

No doubt I will think of more to post over the coming days.

Great thread idea!

Peace Like a River, Leif Enger and The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Both for the language/style they were written in. Two of the few books with such excellently-worded text and vivid imagery that I frequently paused my reading just to appreciate both characteristics more so.