Baseball Post Season 2016

great game between the nats/ dodgers tonight. Hoping the dodgers can finish; I'm a lifelong Phils phan and root for Utley and chooch  since my boys are at least  2-3 years away.. And not a Harper fan(love his game,hate everything else...haha).

At great risk of being banned from this site, I'm rooting Giants tonight in hopes of the tension of another elimination game after the wet farts in the AL sweeps.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was great. Exciting stuff. Go Cubs. 

I remember in '84 (Bless you boys, Ernie Harwell RIP) when the Cubs Edit: DID NOT GET screwed out of having home field advantage in the NLCS because they still couldn't host night games (man, typing that makes me feel like Abe Simpson), and so San Diego got 3 games at home instead for TV revenue. The home team won every game in that series.  Should've been Tigers v Cubs that year.

Edit - apparently that was a myth. Nevermind!

I don't remember that back story in 84 or more than likely I forgot. That's crazing. Really crazy - surprised they were able to do that - guess it must have been in the rules for the league to do that.

I don't remember that back story in 84 or more than likely I forgot. That's crazing. Really crazy - surprised they were able to do that - guess it must have been in the rules for the league to do that.

The other crazy part is that the Umps in the NLCS were replacement umps for the first 4 games, due to an ump strike.

The series was 2 in Chicago, and 3 in San Diego. Cubs had the best record in the NL, so they should have had home advantage. 

Cubs won the first two, and then in their heartbreaking fashion, had the lead in each of the last three games.

Edit - nevermind about the league giving SD home field advantage. Apparently, they used to switch it every year. Even years were the West division's turn.

Looks like the whole 84 is a myth though.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-10-07/sports/0510070330_1_lights-at-wrigley-field-cubs-ozzie-guillen

Frey blamed the lack of lights at Wrigley Field for the final three games being played at Jack Murphy Stadium, where they could be televised in prime time. But, in reality, an old rule established in 1969 dictated that in even years the Western Division team would enjoy home-field advantage,

Maybe it wasn't that Cubs got screwed out of home field advantage. Maybe it was that they moved the schedule to be 2 and 3, instead of 2-2-1?

Nope - NLCS format was definitely 2/3. So.... nevermind? Not sure why this myth exists. But a dear friend of mine (the first Cubs fan I knew - always admired his fanaticism) repeats it. That's where I got it from.

OK, Here it is. Between 69 (the first year of League playoffs) and 83, the NL East team had Home Field Advantage in odd years. 

It gets weird in '85, when the Dodgers hosted the Cards, even though it was an odd year. (The Cards had the better record, and it wasn't until '94 that they abandoned the alternating years format).

I'm trying to find why the West division hosted in '85... 

Holy crap - I only watched bits of it, but last night's Dodgers/Senators finale, a game that did not involve extra innings, took 4 hours and 32 minutes.

The seventh inning alone was over an hour.

I am not sure why people think Dusty Baker is such a great manager.  That loss last night was in part to his dealing with pitchers.

Also, as great as it was to have Kershaw pitch the final two outs and get the save, I question it the thought process.  Yes, I understand that the Dodgers used their normal bullpen guys earlier in the game, but Kershaw was on short rest the last time he started and ended up giving up 3 runs in the 7th.  Now he probably won't start until game 3?  With the Cubs pitching Lester, Hendricks, and the Dodgers throwing out Maeda and Urias for the first two games, it would probably a be a must win at home.  Although a Arrieta / Keshaw pitching match up would be fantastic baseball. 

Edit:  Apparently Kershaw is set for Game 2.  Interesting 4 days rest (with a two out save put in there).  

No love for the LA Dodgers ?! 

Don't count them out, showed lots of heart in game 5 vs the Nats. 

:thumbup

It will be some fantastic baseball in the next week.  I am not sure anyone is counting them out, they are a tough team, but I think my Cubbies have the overall edge.   

Edited by KevinG

Before that grand slam, Joe Maddon was looking like a coach who could not make a good decision if his life depended on it. He took out Lester early, smoked through his bullpen in the 7th and 8th, including his closer, and all it got him was a 3-1 lead that turned into a 3-3 tie.

He had 3 pitchers left, and if it went to extras, the Cubbies were probably toast. That grand slam saved his butt.

great fall baseball- love the new thinking/ strategy employed by the modern day managers.

it can be tedious on the plus side, plenty of snack time/ refreshment fill-ups.....

don't hate me: rooting Dodgers cause of all the ex-

Phils, Also, Theo and the boys seem to be lining up for their photo opps.

108 stitches on a baseball. 108 years since the Cubs won the WS.

not snarky - just rooting.

I very rarely listen to sports radio, but while going through channels this morning, I happen to catch someone calling in who is a film editor - he watched the footage on his professional equipment and he said Gonzalez was indeed out. People who call into sports radio are never wrong.

(He looked safe to me, too)

I very rarely listen to sports radio, but while going through channels this morning, I happen to catch someone calling in who is a film editor - he watched the footage on his professional equipment and he said Gonzalez was indeed out. People who call into sports radio are never wrong.

(He looked safe to me, too)

I will say - it did look like when he was bringing his left hand in to touch the plate, that he wasn't sliding it across the ground, so it appeared that his hand might have been in the air, and not on the plate at that crucial moment that it appears that he was safe.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/10/20/adrian-gonzalez-nlcs-instant-replay/92447386/

In the photo in the linked article, which purports to show him touching the plate a split second before the catcher's mitt tags his face, you can see a shadow under his left hand. Is he touching home plate there?

I would have called him safe, but I can see why they didn't overturn it.

So! Let's see...

I'm just going to go through the archives and see if there's anything in the past which might leave Cubs fans with something to worry about.

Game 6 at Wrigley in the NLCS. Check.

Cubs are up 3 games to 2. Check.

Nope. I see no parallels to past events. Nada. Nothing bad has ever happened in this situation... No way. 

You are correct, sir. None.

Have to admit, I have tickets to show at the Metro ( a block or so away from Wrigley) for next Friday night  -- if the Cubs make it to the Series they will be home; there is no way I will be heading to the show if that is the case. So now, I kinda hope they blow it.

We bought these tickets back in January and I told my wife that we may be in trouble if the Cubs make it to the Series - she laughed...

You are correct, sir. None.

Have to admit, I have tickets to show at the Metro ( a block or so away from Wrigley) for next Friday night  -- if the Cubs make it to the Series they will be home; there is no way I will be heading to the show if that is the case. So now, I kinda hope they blow it.

We bought these tickets back in January and I told my wife that we may be in trouble if the Cubs make it to the Series - she laughed...

Oh I definitely plan on being near ground zero if the Cubs make it.