Baseball Post Season 2016

I think he will be a pitch hitter, too - at least for tomorrow.

We'll see what happens if they don't win tomorrow, though, about Game 4 and 5. I think it's too risky putting him in the field for Game 3, since they really don't need to. Would be cool to see him get another 4 or so at bats, though tomorrow night, in Wrigley.

Well Schwaber has not been cleared to play the field.  All in all, I think it is beneficial.  I expect good things for him off the bench.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only silver lining to being a White Sox fan living through this nonsense is that I was able to pick up Blackhawks tickets for Sunday night well below face value.  :banana

The only silver lining to being a White Sox fan living through this nonsense is that I was able to pick up Blackhawks tickets for Sunday night well below face value.  :banana

What sport do the White Sox play?  According to every media outlet, Chicago has only one baseball team and certainly no other baseball team from Chicago has won a world series.  

CvlT-uwUAAAvWJ2.jpg

What sport do the White Sox play?  According to every media outlet, Chicago has only one baseball team and certainly no other baseball team from Chicago has won a world series.  

CvlT-uwUAAAvWJ2.jpg

That is crazy that they left out the sox...

I thought he did an okay job, though.

Too bad the Cub's bats didn't. Since the playoffs started, It seems like it's all or nothing for the Cubs.

And since I mentioned it, my friend was able to unload all four Peter Hook tickets -- at face value, too. Glad not everyone are wimps like us who don't want to deal with crowds...

Should be fun tonight - a neighbor is setting up a screen in his back yard to watch the game, taking advantage of the nice weather. He is actually getting a keg - haven't been to a kegger in years....

Should be a good one -- I think Maddon blew all of Fox announcers' mind when he brought Chapman in - (to a point of annoyance).

Must admit when Chapman covered 1st and came down hard on the base -  my stomach sank....

Should be a good one -- I think Maddon blew all of Fox announcers' mind when he brought Chapman in - (to a point of annoyance).

Must admit when Chapman covered 1st and came down hard on the base -  my stomach sank....

I'll second both comments/feelings.

Chapman did have slower speeds last night, but I didn't think putting him in was crazy. He got what 6 outs over 21 pitches Not that out there for him. It will be very interesting to see who pitches for how long and when tonight. And such a disappointment for either team to lose

Anyone else finding Joe Buck to be annoying?

He can be and I know a lot of people rag on him (though he doesn't bother me that much for some reason). Just be glad it isn't A-Rod/Rose, Tim McCarver, or Joe Morgan

Yes, technically not an error but that was fly ball 101 type stuff. Didn't expect to see such a screw up during the Series.

Yes, technically not an error but that was fly ball 101 type stuff. Didn't expect to see such a screw up during the Series.

I've heard it was kind of both players' faults. The CF has the "right of way" there, and so he should have called the other player off, but at the same time, the RF should never have continued running in front of the CF - he should have changed course to run behind the CF's field of vision. 

I wonder if Zobrist would have been called safe even if the catcher made the tag. He was clearly blocking the plate before controlling the ball. 

Buckner's error still may still take the cake.

i still think Buckner was the wrong goat.

painful history, digging this up:

Schiraldi was to face the Mets' 2-3-4 hitters to start the tenth. He retired Backman on a fly to left and Hernandez on a fly to center, and the Red Sox were one out away from their first championship in sixty-eight years. After his out, Hernandez went into the clubhouse and undressed and watched the remainder of the game on a clubhouse TV. Because of a mistake by the scoreboard operator, the words "Congratulations Boston Red Sox, 1986 World Champions" briefly flashed on the scoreboard.[20]

Needing baserunners to stay alive, Carter provided a spark by lining a single into left field. Aguilera's spot was up next due to the double switch and Mets manager Davey Johnson, running low on players, sent someone into the clubhouse to retrieve Kevin Mitchell to pinch hit. Mitchell had gone into the clubhouse after Hernandez recorded the second out, allegedly to book a flight home for later that night.[17] Despite the rush, the rookie utility man came through with a single. Knight was the next batter and, after two pitches, he faced a count of no balls and two strikes. The Red Sox were one strike away from the championship. But on Schiraldi's third pitch, Knight singled, scoring Carter and advancing the speedy Mitchell to third.

McNamara had seen enough and went to the mound. He took the ball from Schiraldi and called on his former closer, Bob Stanley to face Wilson with the tying run ninety feet away from scoring. Stanley had already faced Wilson three times in the series, retiring him twice. The last time Wilson faced him was in Game 4, and he recorded a single. Stanley got Wilson to keep missing and fouling off pitches, with the count at 2-2 after seven pitches. For a second time, the Red Sox were one strike away from victory. But on the eighth pitch, Stanley lost control of a pitch that went inside and nearly hit Wilson. Wilson fell over and waved Mitchell in to score as Gedman could not field the ball in time, while Knight moved into scoring position with what was now the winning run. Interestingly, Stanley appeared to have balked by failing to come to a stop in his "set" position after starting his motion. Had the apparent balk been called, the result would have been virtually the same (with Mitchell scoring and Knight advancing to second), but with Wilson still facing a 2-2 count.

During Wilson's at-bat, Marty Barrett repeatedly yelled at Stanley from second for a throw as Knight was far off the bag and could easily have been picked off. Stanley, however, could not hear from the crowd noise and was focused on Wilson. On the tenth pitch of the at-bat,[21] Stanley induced a ground ball off Wilson's bat. Buckner, who was playing on the lip of the infield to protect against a hit through the first-second base hole, moved over to the foul line to try to field the ball. He did not field it. The ball rolled between his legs and into the outfield, enabling Knight to come around third and score without a play. The Mets won the game 6-5 and tied the series at three games. The win went to Aguilera, with the loss going to Schiraldi as he was responsible for Mitchell and Knight on base. Schiraldi was also credited with a blown save after giving up the tying runs in the eighth while Stanley was also credited with one for not holding the lead in the tenth.

He WAS the wrong goat.And yes, Shiraldi and Gordon "blew" Game 7. Buckner should have been pulled, as he had been by McNamara most often towards the end of the season due to his bad legs. Even if Buckner was pulled (as he should have been) the Sox could have lost Game 6. Also, Buckner even bat .500 in Game 7, scoring a run.