Hiss Golden Messenger

I think they're terrific. They played a show here in Norfolk Virginia maybe right after that first album came out. The turnout was so low they moved the show to the attached bar/restaurant instead of in the main theater. But they did not seem fazed and they put on a great show for a tiny crowd.

I saw him play at a little festival in NOLA last year. Met him briefly after the show and shared with him how much I enjoyed the set. He seemed genuinely appreciative. If "Biloxi" is indicative of the new album's sound, I think I'm gonna enjoy it.

jw harding, 

Thanks for the feedback. They're playing NOLA Monday night, and I'm on the fence because I have a pretty busy week next week. I've read a couple of positive reviews but haven't listened to anything from the new record except for "Biloxi" (which I liked). Guess I'll give it a listen one evening this week. And who am I kidding? I'll probably end up at the show on Monday night. 

Just listened to the new album as well. Very nice, contemplative music for a Sunday afternoon in autumn. Barring some work-related curveball, it's pretty much a sure thing that I'll be attending next Monday's show in NOLA. 

Welp, I've officially been missing out on this band. I listened to the new album today, it's great. Is there anything else I should check out by them ASAP? 

Lateness of Dancers is probably my favorite album of the last few years. So far like it a bit more than the new one.

Maybe my favorite band of the past 5 or so years. Probably helps that I've hit my mid-30s and have a two year old, so I identify with a lot of the things he's singing about – see "Mahogany Dread."

Welp, I've officially been missing out on this band. I listened to the new album today, it's great. Is there anything else I should check out by them ASAP? 

Poor Moon is absolutely essential.  After you work through HGM's catalog, you might want to check out MC Taylor's old band, The Court & Spark.

I'll also recommend Jake Xerxes Fussell for anyone who likes those artists. I've heard of him for years because I went to school in the same town in which he once lived. Really digging his self-titled album:

51rSKbt2CjL._SS500.jpg

Brown-Eyed Women, their Grateful Dead cover on Day of the Dead is great (find on spotify).

Yes, good cut. The song Lucia, from the Lateness of Dancers album, sounds like Franklin's Tower channeled through JJ Cale. Some Dead influences in their music for sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Poor Moon is absolutely essential.  After you work through HGM's catalog, you might want to check out MC Taylor's old band, The Court & Spark.

Great to see some HGM love around here. 

Totally agree, the Court & Spark was a fantastic band (one of my all time favs). It was interesting to hear some of the early iterations of HGM right after C&S called it quits (lots of dub-influenced songs) and how it's evolved into the current sound. The most recent albums have just been getting better and better. Though I still love Country Hai East Cotton.  

If you haven't already, definitely check out Scott Hirsch's solo album "Blue Rider Songs", came out last summer I believe. He played bass with HGM for a while, and was the guitarist in the Court & Spark. Longtime collaborator with Mike Taylor. One of my top albums of 2016.

• 1 month later...