Hiss Golden Messenger

I think they're terrific. They played a show here in Norfolk Virginia maybe right after that first album came out. The turnout was so low they moved the show to the attached bar/restaurant instead of in the main theater. But they did not seem fazed and they put on a great show for a tiny crowd.

I saw him play at a little festival in NOLA last year. Met him briefly after the show and shared with him how much I enjoyed the set. He seemed genuinely appreciative. If "Biloxi" is indicative of the new album's sound, I think I'm gonna enjoy it.

jw harding, 

Thanks for the feedback. They're playing NOLA Monday night, and I'm on the fence because I have a pretty busy week next week. I've read a couple of positive reviews but haven't listened to anything from the new record except for "Biloxi" (which I liked). Guess I'll give it a listen one evening this week. And who am I kidding? I'll probably end up at the show on Monday night. 

Just listened to the new album as well. Very nice, contemplative music for a Sunday afternoon in autumn. Barring some work-related curveball, it's pretty much a sure thing that I'll be attending next Monday's show in NOLA. 

Maybe my favorite band of the past 5 or so years. Probably helps that I've hit my mid-30s and have a two year old, so I identify with a lot of the things he's singing about – see "Mahogany Dread."

I'll also recommend Jake Xerxes Fussell for anyone who likes those artists. I've heard of him for years because I went to school in the same town in which he once lived. Really digging his self-titled album:

51rSKbt2CjL._SS500.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Poor Moon is absolutely essential.  After you work through HGM's catalog, you might want to check out MC Taylor's old band, The Court & Spark.

Great to see some HGM love around here. 

Totally agree, the Court & Spark was a fantastic band (one of my all time favs). It was interesting to hear some of the early iterations of HGM right after C&S called it quits (lots of dub-influenced songs) and how it's evolved into the current sound. The most recent albums have just been getting better and better. Though I still love Country Hai East Cotton.  

If you haven't already, definitely check out Scott Hirsch's solo album "Blue Rider Songs", came out last summer I believe. He played bass with HGM for a while, and was the guitarist in the Court & Spark. Longtime collaborator with Mike Taylor. One of my top albums of 2016.

• 1 month later...