Wilco — 9 October 2016, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Ibiraupuera Auditorium Oscar Niemeyer)

The headline for the show at Auditorio Ibirapuera could be “A Tale of Two Concerts”,  “The Night Glenn Incited a Riot”, or “Mariana’s Gift”.  It was one of the most memorable shows I’ve ever seen. Banter corner was alive and well.

The venue was an 800-seat theater, 50-ish seats wide and only around 15 rows deep with a lot of upslope to the back row.  It was certainly built for acoustics and comfort, and designed by Oscar Niemeyer.  The band was set up in a tight circle on the very front of a huge, low stage, without the big amps from the festival set.  The show started very early, maybe 7:15 local time.  Only a couple of ushers flanking the stage on the floor at each end. 

For the first two-thirds of the the show, it was unbelievably quiet and reserved.  Everyone sat, with just applause between songs for the first several songs.  It was awkwardly quiet for a while.  The song selection was certainly a factor.  You Are My Face was gorgeous.  Misunderstood started with Jeff’s acoustic and not Glenn’s drumming, and ended with Jeff whispering “nothing at all” alone.  Radio Cure was at its eerie best.  During Reservations, you could hear a pin drop.  Things moved along after that, with a few more comments from the audience here and there, which were easily heard by all in the room.  It was a totally weird contrast to the night before.  And then the roof came off.

After HMD, as Jeff started the signature guitar note for ITMWLY, Glenn began to goad the audience with a “come on” wave behind the drum kit.  The audience obliged loudly, and Glenn prompted some more.  Then he stood up, and it got louder.  Then he stood up on his seat and went into his rock start pose, and said something that I wish I could have heard.  Jump and crash, off we  go, and the place went berserk.  People swarmed out of their seats and rushed the front of the stage, the aisles, and anywhere they (we) could get, and the party was officially on.   We stayed like that for the rest of the show.  The ushers were all fine, and simply stayed in their assigned positions.  The energy level went from 2 to 10 and stayed there the rest of the show.  Band smiles increased from concerned awkward grins to beaming all around. 

Bull Black Nova (for those of you who care other than yours truly) was a much stripped down version with Jeff on acoustic, Nels on dobro, and Pat on electric.  Jeff started with a little  “OK” before going into the “acoustic” version intro, with a little skronk from Nels on the dobro.  Generally the acoustic (hootenanny) version, and downright chilling.  “I can’t calm down / pick up” was a whisper.  Sandwiched between Radio Cure and Reservations, in the complete silence of the venue, it had a restrained intensity that left me stunned. 

Banter Corner - There was a whole lot more banter than in the festival set.  Not much for the first few songs other than a quick “obrigado” here and there.  After Reservations, Jeff explained that the band “wanted to play a few quieter songs that we couldn’t play in the outdoor shows”.  He thanked the audience for being such a lovely and quiet audience, and seemed almost worried that he was interrupting the silence.  He sad that we didn’t have to be so quiet – “you can sing along if you want, you can do whatever you want; we’re here to serve.”  This was right before IG (which lit up the crowd in the previous shows), and the crowd responded with another great Brazil IG sing along, and then the Wilco Wilco Wilco chant after it.  Jeff beamed a big smile and said “Now THAT’S the Brazil crowd I remember from last night!”.

After that ice was broken a little, song requests became more common between songs.  At one point there were several at once, and perhaps a few other comments.  Jeff replied “I’m really sorry, there’s a language barrier…. Either that or you have something in your mouth.  Could be either.” 

In addition to the “obrigado”, Jeff had a few “tudo bem”s (all good) here and there.  He was quite proud of his two-phrase Portuguese vocabulary.  “I learned that because it sounds like ‘to the bank’.  It means how are you, right?  (cheers) I guess I could just say ‘how are you’, couldn’t I? (more cheers) Thank god.  You guys are so sweet”

After Locator and before Safety Girl – “I have to be honest.  It’s pretty hard to concentrate up here when you know what’s going on (back home).  There’s a debate.  You’re watching it too? But you get to live here.  I know you have (your own problems).  It’s good to be here together and caught in between idiots.  It’s driving me crazy.  I have this orange asshole stuck in the back of my mind.  Which brings us to our next song, We Aren’t the World.”

Before Box Full of Letters: “This is also off of our first album, so 12 of you will be happy”

After more shouted requests: “OK, those are some good songs.  Those are all songs that we know.  That we’re not going to play.  Thank you for knowing those songs.  We’re going to leave Brazil without playing all the songs.  We have a million songs.  People appreciate this (next) song.  This is one of the best songs” before launching into HMD. 

(Side note – “I’m a Wheel” was requested quite a lot, and Jeff called a rare audible for the second encore to play it, with a really good scream that lasted forever).

After the stage rush after ITMWLY, he looked at us all and smiled and said “Where did you guys come from?”

After the encore break, with a big “ole ole, Wilco, Wilco” chant and after Jesus, etc: “We’re overwhelmed. We won’t leave.  For two more songs.” Someone offered that they could stay at his place.  “All of us?  There are 20 of us.  Maybe you should all just some with us.” (cheers)

Spiders had the same sing-along moment that we had the night before, where the audience sings during the guitar breakdown.  It’s kind of a bamp-bamp-ba-dah, bamp-bamp-ba-da-da-da-dah” on repeat.  It replaced the drum beat / clapping section near the end.  Jeff clearly loved it, leading the “bamp-bamp” singing instead of the clapping both nights and grinning ear to ear. 

The highlight of banter corner was just before Hate it Here.  There’s video of it out on FB too.  Jeff said (pointing to Mariana at the front of the stage) “This is for Mariana.  Do you all know Mariana?  If there’s one person responsible for Wilco coming to Brazil, it’s Mariana.  Is Wilco coming to Brazil?  You’re goddamn right we are!” 

Quite a memorable night to end the Brazil run for a room full of grateful and loving fans.  Hugs galore (Mariana knew all 800 in attendance I think).  I was thrilled to be a part of it.  The WorldWide Wilco Peeps are the best. 

Vince

Setlist

Via Chicago

If I Ever Was a Child

Cry All Day

Company in My Back

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Kamera

You Are My Face

Misunderstood

Someone to Lose

Radio Cure

Bull Black Nova

Reservations

Impossible Germany

Whole Love

Passenger Side

Locator

We Aren't the World

Box Full of Letters

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

Late Greats

--------

Jesus, etc

Hate It Here

Always in Love

Random Name Generator

Spiders

--------

I'm a Wheel *

* California Stars and A Shot in the Arm were on the printed setlist for the second encore, but replaced with I'm a Wheel.

Edited by theashtraysays
For me all shows were great, full of friends and hugs, but this one was amazing!

I've never seen them in such a small place and seated (It was very beautiful but I was really happy when Glenn stood on his drums and people ran to the front of the stage. When Jeff dedicated the song for me I was so close, right in front of him. I can't believe it was real!)

The band seemed really happy and surprised with the audience. I'm so happy about it! I hope they come back soon!

Also, it was nice to have you here, Vince! :)

My favorite moments:

- Impossible Germany, as always https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Rg46MzJ3g

It was really special for me to see them in my city with my friends around. I never imagined that I would be so thrilled and emotional!