Wilco — 8 October 2016, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Popload festival)

The Popload Festival was the triumphant debut of Wilco in Sao Paulo Brazil.  You couldn’t ask for a more beautiful springtime evening anywhere in the world.  Thousands of adoring Wilco fans rocked and cheered and ole’ed and gave it up to a delighted Wilco onstage who were on fire the whole night.  It was loud, it was raucous, and the crowd loved every minute of it.  The festival was well-run, easy to navigate, good (and loud) sound, and plenty of happy and friendly Wilco fans.  On the way out, free water bottles were handed out to the fans – a very nice touch and welcome indeed.

The evening marked the return of the Glenn Kotche rockstar pose before ITMWLY, which drew a roar that was turned up to 11.  There was the Brazilian sing-along for IG.  There was a very unique sing-along for the guitar breakdown in Spiders (see night 2 review).  The 3-banger encore of Red Eyed/Got You/Outtasite was pure rockshow. 

Not a lot of banter (Wilco was not the closing set for the evening – The Liberteens had that slot), but a lot of appreciation and “obrigado”s from Jeff, and a heartfelt confirmation that the Brazil crowds were the best ever.  Apologies for taking so long, and a promise not to be gone so long until the next time.  Jeff mentioned that they were playing songs off of lots of the albums since none of them had ever been played there before. 

At the end of the Wilco set, there was a video with Jeff thanking everyone who joined the campaign (Is Wilco Coming to Brazil?) to bring them down to South America.  I hope someone can track that down.  The show was a rock concert that gave the people of Sao Paulo (and at least 1 wayward American) everything you could want in a rock and roll festival.

Setlist

Random Name Generator

Joke Explained

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Art of Almost

Either Way

Misunderstood

If I Ever Was a Child

Cry All Day

Someone to Lose

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany