What took you so long! Classic albums you just discovered

I was thinking about how you know a lot about music, so I decided to listen to London 0 Hull 4 a few times over the weekend. Upon reflection, I realized that you are correct, therefore I no longer consider it a classic album. I don't like to appear ignorant, so I appreciate your candor. Without you challenging me regarding one of my favorite albums, I'd have kept embarrassing myself. Thanks again.

:lol  :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how psyched were you when you first heard "Symptom Of The Universe"?

I've always thought side 1 of Sabotage stands up against any side Sabbath ever recorded. It's really a major piece of work from them.

so i paid a LOT of money for the Sabbath VIP tickets, even at the lowest tier. of course, getting excellent seats was a great aspect of it (something like 9th row center), but we also got to see the soundcheck along with about 50 - 75 other people. the first bit was the drummer doing a drum solo (hard pass), it ended w/ Ozzy coming out and singing "Iron Man," but the middle was an instrumental version of "Symptom" which pretty much made it proper value. Iommi is by far the best riff master ever, and it was pure joy watching him blaze through that. 

so i paid a LOT of money for the Sabbath VIP tickets, even at the lowest tier. of course, getting excellent seats was a great aspect of it (something like 9th row center), but we also got to see the soundcheck along with about 50 - 75 other people. the first bit was the drummer doing a drum solo (hard pass), it ended w/ Ozzy coming out and singing "Iron Man," but the middle was an instrumental version of "Symptom" which pretty much made it proper value. Iommi is by far the best riff master ever, and it was pure joy watching him blaze through that. 

That's awesome.  My wife is not a huge music fan, so I don't think I could get away with a purchase like that.  Hamilton tickets yes, Black Sabbath VIP, no. Regardless Im sure its a memory that will last forever.

That is fantastic! And I agree about Supertzar - I saw Sabbath a few times back in the very early 80s and that was their walk-on music. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been listening to Temple of the Dog non-stop since I saw them last month. I had a copy on tape back in the day, but only liked 2 or 3 songs. Never got into Soundgarden/Cornell. But now I'm all over this one. It commonly takes seeing a band live for me to really dig their latest album, but that's usually not long after the record comes out, a few months maybe, not 25 years later, LOL.

A more realistic example would be Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, generally regarded as Mark Lanegan's finest solo album, and probably better than anything by Screaming Trees. Back in the mid-late 1990s I was really into the Winding Sheet and Scraps at Midnight, but for some reason Whiskey didn't click for me the first time I heard it. I put it away and then played it again like 8 or 10 months later, and then the switch was flipped.

I really like all of the first six, but if I were to just pull one or two out I would start in the middle with Masters and Vol 4. All of them are good, but these are the ones I go to.

I would go with Sabotage and Paranoid, but I would almost as easily say Masters and Vol 4. 

All of the first 6 are really good. I would have to say that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath might be my least favorite of that period, though. The title track, Killing Yourself To Live are top shelf Sabbath, but much of the rest of the LP seems overproduced. Not heavy enough. How much more would I like a song like Who Are You, slowed down a bit and stripped down to the basics? Sabotage seems to find a much more happy medium between production and balls to the wall riffage. 

I listened to Carole King's Tapestry twice yesterday. Have no idea why but it came into my head and by the end of the day I had spun it twice. I would say this, The Best of Bread, The Lovin Spoonfull Greatest Hits and some Gordon Lightfoot were played more than anything in my house growing up. Tapestry could easily be argued as one of the greatest of all times. According to Wiki more than 10 million copies sold in the U.S. alone, 4 Grammys, 5 weeks at #1. Pretty insane. If I close my eyes and listen to "It's Too Late" I'm transported to my moms 1983 green Accord

I listened to Carole King's Tapestry twice yesterday. Have no idea why but it came into my head and by the end of the day I had spun it twice. I would say this, The Best of Bread, The Lovin Spoonfull Greatest Hits and some Gordon Lightfoot were played more than anything in my house growing up. Tapestry could easily be argued as one of the greatest of all times. According to Wiki more than 10 million copies sold in the U.S. alone, 4 Grammys, 5 weeks at #1. Pretty insane. If I close my eyes and listen to "It's Too Late" I'm transported to my moms 1983 green Accord

It use to be if you went to a flea market and they had albums - you would find many copies of that record. 

It use to be if you went to a flea market and they had albums - you would find many copies of that record. 

You know its funny, since the vinyl resurgence all these LPs that were so common now sell for relatively high prices at actual record stores.  Used to be they were really cheap and easy to find.  Tapestry is still easy to find, but many albums less so.  I noticed that the store I am working at now was selling Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians for nearly 10 bucks.  Crazy.

LouieB

There may have not been that many of those pressed. As vinyl was on it's way out around that time (1988). You probably already knew that. I have not bought any used records in a long time. There are now two places down the street here that sell used records. A friend of mine tells me their prices are too high. And it is probably common stuff - Frampton Comes Alive, Bob Seger, Styx, etc. 

You don't like Sabbra Cadabra and Spiral Architect? 

They're ok. I much prefer Megalomania and The Writ as side closers however.