Bands you saw early on who became big?

Any bands that you saw on the first tour or maybe in an unusually small venue before they got big?? I guess for argument sake bands that could sell  well for a 3,000 or more capacity venues these days

Mine include

Band of Horses-Maxwell's Hoboken 200 capacity on first tour

Bloc Party-Bowery Ballroom first tour

Coldplay- Saw their second ever NYC show

Foals-Maxwell's first tour

Franz Ferdinand- Instore Best Buy NYC first tour

Guster- Saw their third ever show as Guster at my sleep away camp..maybe 50 kids there

My Morning Jacket- 2003

The National-Maxwell's

Pete Yorn-Saw first tour at small club in NJ

Train- Was maybe 30 people there and they opened for Pat Mcgee Band

Honorable mention

Son Volt saw them in 96 on the Horde tour (Don't think they are big I guess)

Wilco- Being There tour

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw My Morning Jacket open up for Doves in the fall of 2002 at Boston's Avalon club. Jim James had his long hair covering his whole face.

Static X opened up for Type O Negative at Life in New York City 1998.

i saw Smashing Pumpkins at TTs, just after Gish came out. hmmm... who else? I saw The National at the Middle East in 07. Also saw Pavement at the Middle East, on their second East Coast tour, before S&E came out. Saw The Flaming Lips  at TTs when Ron Jones was still in the band, '95 or so. it was on the Hit To Death tour.

does seeing Deep Wound (pre-Dinosaur Jr band w/ J and Lou) count?

oh, another one... I saw Mastodon open for Neurosis in 2007.

Nice would have loved to see the Pumpkins and Lips early. Saw the lips on the Bulletin tour in 2000 at Fletchers in Baltimore which holds 200 or so. Wayne splatted fake blood on me and gave me a high five..I was in the front row and couldn't hear for days afterwords

Two shows come quickly to mind:

The Cure at the Underground, Allston MA. Tiny venue, just couple hundred people there I think. Boys Don't Cry was just out.

Ramones upstairs at Max's Kansas City. 

Black Sabbath at Academy of Music-is that early enough (Masters of Reality tour) and small enough to qualify? (right up there with Mr. Tinnitus Photography seeing Phish at the Paradise in the "I would never have thunk it" category).  

Wilco at the Avalon, Boston.

I know there must be others, I will have to give it some thought.

Urge Overkill at a tiny little club (formerly the Blue Note,  but after the Blue Note moved to bigger digs) on the edge of downtown Columbia, MO (1990)

The Pixies at that same tiny space, when it was still the Blue Note (1989)

Neutral Milk Hotel—twice: once at an in-store at Reckless Records on Broadway in Chicago, and once at Lounge Ax, also in Chicago (both in 1998)

Goo Goo Dolls at Metro in Chicago. When GGD were still kinda a punk band and still good. (1991)

David Broza in the basement of a Jewish center on the Northwest side of Chicago; just him and an acoustic guitar. If you don't know who he is, think of him as the Bob Dylan of Israel... frequently selling out arena-size venues in the Middle East. (1984, or so)

Blur at The Vic in Chicago, with opening act Pulp. (1994)

Wilco at the Lounge Ax in Chicago. Their first-ever show in town, and only second show, ever. (1994)

:D

Also...

Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins opening up for The Red Hot Chili Peppers at the American Theater in St. Louis (1991).

Drive By Truckers playing for seven people at Dottie's Bar in Atlanta.

Foo Fighters opening for Mike Watt, Masquerade Atlanta.

Kings of Leon opening for the Strokes Is This It tour.

Derek Trucks opening for Col. Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit.

Medeski Martin and Wood playing at a tiny coffeehouse. 

Phish's supposedly legendary Roxy run. Not sure if that counts since three nights at a 1,000 capacity theater hits the 3,000 threshold.

Take pictures back then of the shows?? :guitar

unfortunately no. i started in 2006.

there are a lot of shows that i wished i'd had a camera with me. 

The Cure at the Underground, Allston MA. Tiny venue, just couple hundred people there I think. Boys Don't Cry was just out.

have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nGA8A_iV4

btw, i'll trade my Phish show for your Sabbath show. :)

Uncle Tupelo opening for fIREHOSE at the Blue Note in Columbia, MO before No Depression was even released. (1989)

unfortunately no. i started in 2006.

there are a lot of shows that i wished i'd had a camera with me.

have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nGA8A_iV4

btw, i'll trade my Phish show for your Sabbath show. :)

Holy crap, I never saw that video! Will watch tonight on the big screen.

And yes, I would love to make that trade!

We used to see Deerhunter all the time in tiny clubs. God, they were a shitty band back then.  Atrocious. Somewhere along the way they figured out how to write melodies. 

Oh...

I shared a stage once with Explosions in the Sky before they took off.  Probably the friendliest group of musicians I've ever met. 

The first two that come to mind are R.E.M. in September, 1982 at Huff Gymnasium in Champaign, IL (five bucks to get in) and Wilco in Chicago on the Being There Tour. 

A few that come to mind:

Phish at Biddy Mulligans in 91

Pavement at Lounge Ax, 91

Soundgarden & Mudhoney, Metro, first time playing Chicago

Material Issue, early 90s, many times

I caught a good chunk of Phish in small clubs (one show in dead of winter was about 25 people) in VT and NH and VA in '87-'88. But everyone knows they don't count.

Which clubs in NH? Nothing springs to mind immediately. I live in NH & can only think of a few bars or theaters in the bigger cities. I did some research and noticed a show in Newmarket.