Winterlude 2017

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had a seat in a mezzanine box at the Chicago Theatre? I understand the sound isn't good and of course way in the back. I assume these are mezzanine (Section BOX Row L3 Seat 4)? At first I thought they were balcony box but doesn't look like it. Any info would be appreciated!

I don't believe things ended well between Jeff and Billy.

I think you're correct, but I don't think they ended disastrously, and some time has passed, and they both have a sense of history, and...oh, who knows, but I'd place a decent-sized bet on it.

Where's everyone staying for Winterlude? I almost rented a condo, about the same price as a hotel but not as close. I'll be working in room for 5 days so wanted something descent. I was going to go through Hotwire but I hate not being able to cancel and not know for sure what I'm getting. I know that can generally be figured out, in fact I have gotten what I expected most of the time. Honestly, with the extra Hotwire fees then having to pay for wifi at some places it's not that much better of a deal.

I got a room at the Hotel Monaco about 2 blocks away from the theatre. Good rates, winter sale $119/night. I reserved a room the other day then they had a flash sale yesterday that was even cheaper, I think $104 for a deluxe king. I opted to cancel reservation and upgrade to river view room with the sale rate. I ended up paying only slightly more than a room that would face a wall or parking garage. Anyway, nice place and a bit cheaper than the Wit. Keep an eye on the flash sales! Also if you do consider the hotel, sign up for the loyalty reward program or whatever. You'll get free wifi and a credit for the minibar. I love going to Chicago this time of the year, cheap hotels! The same room in March would be over $400!

Dang, hinko, those hotel prices are very manageable. I'm getting an itch and my schedule is open for Wed and Thu, flights are reasonable......now I just need to get my hands on a decent single for both nights and I'm there!!!!

We are staying at the LondonHouse about 3 or 4 blocks from the venue for $140 a night.  The weather is going to be a shock flying in from Arizona, but I'm looking forward to wearing some winter coats that I never get to wear here!

Besides bars and restaurants, what are some good indoor daytime activities in Chicago this time of year?  How about Wille Dixon's Blues Heaven or some other music history museums or sites?

Our first Wilco shows in Chicago and my wife's birthday to boot!  We could more than use a boost of good vibes lately so we are especially stoked!

Our first Wilco shows in Chicago and my wife's birthday to boot!  We could more than use a boost of good vibes lately so we are especially stoked!

There's nothing better than a Chicago Wilco show. Happy birthday to your wife!

Where's everyone staying for Winterlude? I almost rented a condo, about the same price as a hotel but not as close. I'll be working in room for 5 days so wanted something descent. I was going to go through Hotwire but I hate not being able to cancel and not know for sure what I'm getting. I know that can generally be figured out, in fact I have gotten what I expected most of the time. Honestly, with the extra Hotwire fees then having to pay for wifi at some places it's not that much better of a deal.

I got a room at the Hotel Monaco about 2 blocks away from the theatre. Good rates, winter sale $119/night. I reserved a room the other day then they had a flash sale yesterday that was even cheaper, I think $104 for a deluxe king. I opted to cancel reservation and upgrade to river view room with the sale rate. I ended up paying only slightly more than a room that would face a wall or parking garage. Anyway, nice place and a bit cheaper than the Wit. Keep an eye on the flash sales! Also if you do consider the hotel, sign up for the loyalty reward program or whatever. You'll get free wifi and a credit for the minibar. I love going to Chicago this time of the year, cheap hotels! The same room in March would be over $400!

thanks much for info on the Monaco. Just booked river view room too and canceled my more expensive hotel wit (a very nice hotel too) reservation. 

That's a great deal! Wish I wasn't locked in to my Omni reservation. They had a special in November that I booked for $150/night. Still a great deal for a nice CHI hotel! First time CHI Wilco gig! Can't Wait!

Besides bars and restaurants, what are some good indoor daytime activities in Chicago this time of year?  How about Wille Dixon's Blues Heaven or some other music history museums or sites?

The Willie Dixon Blues Heaven is nice but not amazing. I'd recommend it to Chicago area music fans, but with limited time it isn't a must see.

As far as music sites, the Chicago Theater offers tours. The Green Mill might be a nice spot if you have an evening free. It is close to Wilco's most played venue: The Riviera. Buddy Guys could be a good lunch spot (I've never eaten there and can't vouch for the food). Late night Blues at The Kingston Mines.

There is a "going to Chicago" thread in Tongue Tied Lightning.

Other than music related, my favorite indoor activities: Art Institute of Chicago, The Field Museum, Lagunitas tour, Willis Tower Skydeck, Garfield Park Conservatory, Steppenwolf Theater 

The Willie Dixon Blues Heaven is nice but not amazing. I'd recommend it to Chicago area music fans, but with limited time it isn't a must see.

As far as music sites, the Chicago Theater offers tours. The Green Mill might be a nice spot if you have an evening free. It is close to Wilco's most played venue: The Riviera. Buddy Guys could be a good lunch spot (I've never eaten there and can't vouch for the food). Late night Blues at The Kingston Mines.

There is a "going to Chicago" thread in Tongue Tied Lightning.

Other than music related, my favorite indoor activities: Art Institute of Chicago, The Field Museum, Lagunitas tour, Willis Tower Skydeck, Garfield Park Conservatory, Steppenwolf Theater 

Thanks for those suggestions, I appreciate it along with a lot of other ideas from the visiting Chicago thread, thanks!

And thanks, Magnetized, for the birthday wishes, too!

Dude, I'm glad you brought this up, I just checked and the rooms went down to $119 at the LondonHouse, so I got the lower price on Hotels.com.  I probably wouldn't have checked if you hadn't brought it up so thanks!

I spent hours on Hotwire trying to get the best deal. I hate to not be able to cancel however and after looking at booking directly, the rates about the same when you figure the Hotwire fees. I keep checking the closer hotels, Wit, Monaco, Virgin and so on for better rates but I think I've done as good as I can. They will have good sales from time to time so doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it. Can't beat the prices this time of the year in downtown Chicago! I think I'm paying $744 total with tax for 5 nights for River View room at the Monaco. Normally wouldn't care too much about the view but since reserved seating at the shows, I won't have to wait in line all day and will be in room working a lot.

One thing about the Monaco, parking is stupid, I think $58/night. I have a large vehicle that doesn't typically fit in garages. I always use SpotHero or ParkiWhiz to find surface lots. I managed to find a garage that has 8' 2" clearance a few blocks away. $120 for 5 days. Only catch, no in/out but don't plan on driving anywhere.

One more thing about the Monaco, they charge for internet unless you are a rewards member, you can sign up when making reservations or even after I believe. Then the $14 or so per day internet fee is waived and you get a $10 credit for the mini-bar which I think gets a couple bags of chips. 

One thing about the Monaco, parking is stupid, I think $58/night. I have a large vehicle that doesn't typically fit in garages. I always use SpotHero or ParkiWhiz to find surface lots. I managed to find a garage that has 8' 2" clearance a few blocks away. $120 for 5 days. Only catch, no in/out but don't plan on driving anywhere.

If you truly aren't going to use the car once you arrive in Chicago I would recommend parking it in a neighborhood on the street for free. PM for more details about parking my street if you'd like. I live 2 miles from the theater right off public transit.

If you truly aren't going to use the car once you arrive in Chicago I would recommend parking it in a neighborhood on the street for free. PM for more details about parking my street if you'd like. I live 2 miles from the theater right off public transit.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer! Let me think on it. I have a diesel so I'm going to want to start it on occasion and may want to be close to hotel.

Almost here folks. I have row DD Nels side for night one, row D center for night 2 (taking my 11 year old son - pretty psyched), 4th row balcony Sat night with my bro and our wives.

And now I may need to just bite the bullet and buy a single for Sunday. I'd hate to miss any of my white whales that night (In a Future age..., when the roses...)

Safe travels all.