Winterlude 2017

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm getting old(er) and more crotchety, but what the hell is wrong with some people?  Why would you spend $90 to attend a Wilco concert on a Saturday night and then spend almost the entire show chattering non-stop about everything BUT the concert you had paid to see.  Go outside and talk!!!  Or listen to the concert on the radio at home and don't ruin the experience for others.  That said, not even the clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right (and especially behind me) could spoil the night (though they tried mightily).  The songs are so damn good and the band so damn tight that I still had a wonderful night.  A great set list back loaded with multiple gems off Being There.

I know I'm getting old(er) and more crotchety, but what the hell is wrong with some people?  Why would you spend $90 to attend a Wilco concert on a Saturday night and then spend almost the entire show chattering non-stop about everything BUT the concert you had paid to see.  Go outside and talk!!!  Or listen to the concert on the radio at home and don't ruin the experience for others.  That said, not even the clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right (and especially behind me) could spoil the night (though they tried mightily).  The songs are so damn good and the band so damn tight that I still had a wonderful night.  A great set list back loaded with multiple gems off Being There.

Happens every show. I give it a few minutes, and then just lean in and ask the talkers to "turn down the volume." They usually get the hint and shut up. I used to be more antagonistic, but found that this simple request works without inciting push back.

I came really close to asking the people behind me to pipe down a few times on Wednesday and Thursday. I'm with you guys, I just don't understand it at all. It's one thing if you're seeing a band at a bar and you paid a $15 cover, but this is $100 to see Wilco! Shut up and watch!

Happens every show. I give it a few minutes, and then just lean in and ask the talkers to "turn down the volume." They usually get the hint and shut up. I used to be more antagonistic, but found that this simple request works without inciting push back.

It does usually work, but it depends on the venue and the number of you vs. them. I was at a GA Drive By Truckers show not long ago and I was alone in the midst of what turned out to be a group of people who I guess all knew each other. That wasn't so apparent when I politely asked one of the couples if they could keep it down. They collectively jumped down my throat like I was out of line. I just sidled out of the way and found a new place to stand.

I don't get it either.  This is endemic to all rock shows really and we have discussed it here at VC for years.  But with these shows at a really nice and expensive venue, it is impossible to understand why people are dicks.  A kid and his father talked to each other throughout the show last night (Sunday).  

Great show though in general.

LouieB

• 1 month later...