Favorite concerts you saw this year?

Highlights including last December, since this year's hasn't happened yet:

* Neko Case at Apollo Theater, NYC - Dec. 2015. 

* Spring Standards - King Killer Studios Brooklyn, & Boxing Day show at Arden Gild Hall, Delaware - Dec. 2015
* Wilco - 3x but I guess I'll go with King's Theater Brooklyn 2/5/16 as the best, if only because it was my first time in that awesome venue.
* The Who - March 14 Philly - might be my last time seeing them, barring me attending any other Desert Trip-like festivals.

* Lucius - 4x in 2016. Daryl's House in Pawling NY June 24 was my favorite. Great to still be able to see them in tiny venues from time to time.
* Pearl Jam - 4x including 2 great MSG shows, but I'll pick Columbia Sc as my favorite. They were all really great though.
* Rhett Miller - June 20 City Winery NYC. He performed a solo acoustic Wreck Your Life in its entirety (minus the Murry song)
* Joseph Arthur - August 15 City Winery NYC. Love the new album "The Family."
* Temple of the Dog - MSG November 7. Once in a lifetime show?
* Drive-By Truckers - Union Transfer Philly November 9 - Nobody I'd rather have listened to the night after the election.
* Los Lobos & Mavis Staples - November 20, Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY - I fell off the LL bandwagon in the last 2-3 years, but this hometown (for me) show was rejuvenating. 

Jason Isbell - Midland Mi

Dawes Columbus Ohio

Bottle Rockets Ann Arbor

Michael Robertson and the Broken Hearted Saviour's Midland Mi.

Josh Ritter Grand Rapids MI.

Derailers Austin Texas

You know I would consider taking you up on that, even though I never heard of either (which is why I'm taking the under), but already catching 3 straight nights of shows Thurs-Sat, can't possibly make it out Sunday night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Understandable.

I guess this is Torche's last tour, according to Facebook posts I've seen from Steve Brooks. Bummer.

I'll bite because I absolutely love reading you're favorite shows from the year. This year marks the first time I've tracked all my shows and rated them. Total shows 32. Here are my top ten:

1. I have to wrap 3 shows in to one as I want no repeats. MMJ at red rocks for 2 nights and 1 hometown show in Louisville. Absolutely incredible performances from maybe the best live band going.

2. Steven Wilson at theVic theater in Chicago. This man is a genius with possibly the best cast of musicians with him that I've seen live.

3. Gojira at the Fillmore in Detroit. Absolutely crushing show from one of the very best metal bands doing it today.

4. Meshuggah/High on Fire at the Majestic theatre in Detroit. I need new words to describe how tight and heavy Meshuggah is in a live setting. A mix between futuristic aliens and cyborgs comprise this band of swedes.

5.Opeth/The Sword at the Fillmore Detroit. Speaking of phenomenal Swedes, Opeth spanned their catalog beautifully walking the line between genres with ease. Akerfeldt continues to be one of my all time favorite front men.

6. Sigur Rós Fox theater Detroit: my wife's favorite band and a cracking live band to boot. They played as a 3 piece on this tour and reworked many songs to perfection. I still say popplagio is the best close to a concert that I've seen... every.single.time.

7. The Dillinger Escape Plan at Revolution Live in Fort Lauderdale: Chaos, precision, insanity. One of my all time favorite live bands threw down again in Florida. They may not be for everyone but their live shows need to be seen to be believed. I'll miss these guys terribly.

8. Muse at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit: Best visuals I've seen at a concert since the wall tour. Muse are over the top and bombastic but boy can they play a live show. I'll always catch them when they come to town.

9. Wilco at Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago: Great venue, great crowd, great night, great setlist and in my opinion, the greatest American band still going. Not the best Wilco show I've seen but still excellent. 4 rows back in front of Nels is a nice place to catch a show.

10.Ty Segall and the muggers at the Majestic theater in Detroit: what a fun show and Ty became a bona fide front man without being tied down with a guitar. The band was on fire and Ty is a mad man. I had never seen him before this night and was truly blown away by the performance.

*The worst show of the year is a tie between city and Colour and the Decemberists. Both uninspired and seemingly phoned in shows that made me seriously question being a fan of either.

While 2016 sucked in many ways, it was still a decent year for shows and I went to a fair amount this year. My favorites:

Jenny Lewis at the Immanuel Baptist Church in LA in January for the 10th anniversary "Rabbit Fur Coat" tour.

Smashing Pumpkins at the Ace Hotel in LA in March. Billy Corgan was in a rare good mood and we got mini-reunion of 3/4ths of the original line-up with James Iha and Jimmy Chamberlin joining him for part of a stripped-down set. Plus Liz Phair killed as the opener.

Elvis Costello at the Fox Theatre in Riverside in April. A great career-spanning set.

Mudcrutch at the Fillmore in San Francisco in June. 

Radiohead at the Shrine in LA in August. Amazing performance and my second favorite show of the year.

PJ Harvey, also at the Shrine, a few weeks later in August.

Tame Impala at the Greek Theater in Berkeley in September.

Wilco. I saw three shows in September, two at the Fillmore in SF and one at the Ace Hotel in LA. All were great.

Yusuf/Cat Stevens at the Pantages Theatre in LA in October. My favorite show of the year. His voice sounded just like it did in the 70s and took the audience on a trip through his musical history with an intimate, conversational tone.

*The worst show of the year is a tie between city and Colour and the Decemberists. Both uninspired and seemingly phoned in shows that made me seriously question being a fan of either.

Interesting. I saw the Decemberists a little over a year ago (my first time seeing them) and was surprised at how great (and funny!) they were. I've been looking forward to seeing them again ever since!

While I've seen the Decemberists a handful of and they are in large a good live act this show left a horrible taste in my mouth. They only played for a little over an hour and the setlist left a lot to be desired. It looked like Colin just wasn't into it for some reason but the band never mentioned the extremely short, Luke warm performance afterwards. Just disappointing knowing what they are capable of.

Having just returned from seeing Tony Bennett and his band tonight, I want to add it to my list of favorite concerts for the year. I don't see how anyone who's 90 years old can do what he does. He's incredible. 

Too many great ones to pick any one favorite!

Rang in the new year with The Decemberists in San Franscisco at the Masonic.

Caught White Denim and Sam Cohen at The Teragram Ballroom in LA.

Saw David Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl - Amazing, amazing show.

Saw Neil Young at Jazz Fest in NOLA - possibly the best set I've ever seen from any band.

Also Paul Simon at Jazz Fest in NOLA.

The Who at Staples Center.

Three nights of Wilco at Theatre at Ace Hotel in LA.

Last night caught Jim James at the Orpheum in LA.

Tonight saw Conor Oberst at the Cathedral at Immanuel Pres...  Amazing sound, great versions of his old tunes plus the new album in full.

Interesting. I saw the Decemberists a little over a year ago (my first time seeing them) and was surprised at how great (and funny!) they were. I've been looking forward to seeing them again ever since!

I love the Decemberists' live shows. I only wish they'd tour the South more frequently because I can't get enough of them. 

Yes, Neil and Promise of the Real in the rain on Sunday afternoon was amazing. All 2 1/2 hours. 07f095ac196de260b6b16548f4941968.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm there basically right in the center of the crowd.  We were in the middle on the rail that went down the center of the crowd.  We had an umbrella but got harassed to put it down before Neil started.  I don't regret it.  This year I am bringing an actual rain coat and rain boots, just in case...

It was unreal.  The 20+ minute Cortez The Killer at the beginning of the set really set the tone for what was going to happen the rest of the day.  Just amazing.  I walked away from that show and said that was the concert I have been waiting to see my whole life.  Just pure genius avant-psych creation happening right before your eyes.  The rain was the perfect setting.

I love the Decemberists' live shows. I only wish they'd tour the South more frequently because I can't get enough of them. 

The New Years eve show in San Fran was a blast.  I've seen them at least 6 times.  My wife has seen them much more.  The New Years show was definitely my favorite show of theirs I have attended.  They did the most epic version of California One.  So beautiful and awesome.

Bruce Springsteen & E Street Met Life #2

Opened with NY City Serenade joined by full strings, not often your in a completely quiet football stadium, lit up the house by going directly into Roalita next.

4:01 later the last note echoed out!

Bruce Springsteen & E Street The Last Dance tour ending show at Gillette. This show was stock full of covers rarieties and an amazing acoutstic based rendition of Sandy.

Happy to be there with my 3 kids, suddenly in their 20s

Wilco at State Theatre Portsmouth, to me the band played livelier than their two nights later in Boston. Perhaps, it was the lively dedicated Canadian crowd all around me that helped to leave that indelible view.

Jackson Browne / Steve Windwood opening Tanglewood.

An amazingly pleasant summers eve well spent in the first row. Both performers seem to take good care of themselves, and are in fine voice. My first concert back there since Wilco 1/2 dozen summers prior.

Nathaniel Rateliff & the Nightsweats Lupos / Providence.

Playing their last night prior to going to Europe. My second time seeing them and they consistently deliver. I have been to Lupos many a time over the years it's never been hotter, and it felt Great! Did two great covers Out on a Weekend and Orphelia

Have a couple left for the year The Bosstones fun night.

Seeing The Roots the night after Christmas could be an addition to my list ..

Nathaniel Rateliff & the Nightsweats Lupos / Providence.

Playing their last night prior to going to Europe. My second time seeing them and they consistently deliver. I have been to Lupos many a time over the years it's never been hotter, and it felt Great! Did two great covers Out on a Weekend and Orphelia

I was just about to post about them in the "Newish Bands" thread but I think it was last year I found out about him/them. Love this band....I've been trying to catch him around here (Denver, his base) but they sell out quick (they went from clubs to selling out Red Rocks within the past year with the album release).

Saw a bunch of shows so far, most of which were "favorites"  :guitar but these of particular note:

Lettuce at HOB-Boston

Wilco-3 shows in 4 nights was probably the highligt of the year for me: one at State Theater, Portland and two at the Orpheum

Isbell at HOB

The Who-first time for me, cross that off my bucket list. That was always a big hole in my rock n roll resume

Drive By Truckers in Providence

Beach House at HOB

Lucinda at the Paradise

JazzFest, second weekend-all of it but of particular note was Neil in the rain, MMJ, and Los Lobos/Tab Benoit at night at Republic

Monsters of Funk, or whatever the George Porter, Jr./Zigaboo/Krasno and Evans band was called, at the Paradise

Phish at Great Woods

Dead and Company at Fenway

Elvis Costello at the Orpheum

Also saw a bunch of good comedy shows: Amy Schumer, Steve Martin/Martin Short and Kathy Griffin

Still to come in '16-two nights of Tedeschi Trucks Band at Orpheum, JRAD at HOB, and Jim Jeffries.

Since that original post, I will add the two Tedeschi Trucks Band shows and the JRAD show. All 3 were excellent.