High ticket prices in the NY area are definitely the new normal. $100 seems to be the typical price for a theater show, even in NJ now. I can't afford $100 for a concert ticket. I'm slowly accepting the fact that my favorite leisure-time activity for the last 35 years is no longer affordable for me. Oh well. I see a lot of movies now instead. *shrugs*

Not going to any on the Beacon run?? To save money I went for the balcony second night but still $75 after fees

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the higher concert prices in the big markets. Reason #87 that I am glad I do not live near one.

Big prices and all I'm glad I live outside of outside the best live music city in the world. Literary there is a good show every night of the year. It's probably the reason I attend between 60-80 shows a year. I may be going broke but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am enjoying every minute of it and I have been going to shows frequently now for 21 years

Not going to any on the Beacon run?? To save money I went for the balcony second night but still $75 after fees

Unfortunately no. It's not possible for me to buy tickets at typical on sale times, so that lets me out of many chances for tickets right there. $75 + transportation costs to NYC is pretty much out of my price range right now, especially considering I'm pretty "meh" towards Schmilco. And I would only be able to go on the Saturday anyway, unless I took a day off from work. Didn't seem worth it to me right now.

Good question. B-side compilation seems unlikely since Alpha Mike Foxtrot compiled 20 years worth of b-sides only 24 months ago.

We've heard there is a lot of Tweedy material ready so that seems possible. We've been hearing about a new Loose Fur for a long time.

Is it time for another "real" live album like Kicking Television? That one came out 11 years ago now...

Tough to imagine them releasing a proper live album when they Roadcase most of their shows. Then again, I probably listen to KT more than any of the Roadcase shows that I own!

Unfortunately no. It's not possible for me to buy tickets at typical on sale times, so that lets me out of many chances for tickets right there. $75 + transportation costs to NYC is pretty much out of my price range right now, especially considering I'm pretty "meh" towards Schmilco. And I would only be able to go on the Saturday anyway, unless I took a day off from work. Didn't seem worth it to me right now.

I hear you try the week of maybe tickets will go cheap on stub hub!!

Good scoring on Stub Hub! I always seem to pay above face on Stub Hub. I think I don't have the patience (or calmness) to wait till day of for a show I really want to se.

on the flip side those were two shows weren't planning on seeing! That being said 90% of shows day or week of go underface but I always like having tickets in my hand in advance and the few times tickets take off in price I'd wouldn't want to risk being without tickets

Wilco will be playing Pori, Finland on July 13. Announced today.

Bill Frisell Trio is another performer. Believe Wilco has some connections to them through Nels?

I love the artist bio they have up on their site too. This is a keeper:

American band Wilco lead by singer-guitarist Jeff Tweedy will perform in Finland after several years as they play at Pori Jazz as a part of their European tour. For over two decades Wilco has been one of the most important and respected bands of alternative rock. Hailing from Chicago, the band began its career with alternative country but has since progressed towards more adventurous and varied directions. Their guitarist Nels Cline is also known for his solo career as a renowned jazz musician. Wilco combines elements from folk, Americana and art-rock and has released ten studio albums of which the most recent was released in autumn 2016. Wilco is known for its meandering and impressive concerts, which tend to last longer than regular concerts. They will also be getting wider timespan for their performance, than is regular at Pori Jazz. 

Wilco just tweeted good seats released for Beacon Theater shows. I just picked up a great pair for Saturday.

oh, great.  I have resisted the social media expansion known as "twitter" all these years now, but I can't resist anything that gets me better Wilco tickets.  Looks like I'll see you all in tweetlandia.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...