The year in travel

Anyone go anywhere fun on vacation this year? Plans for next year?

I went to the Domnican Republic in January, Hit up Maine, New Hamphire, Vermont over the Summer and Heading to Vegas and Arizona next week.

Hoping to go to Cuba and Iceland next year...fingers crossed

i did a shit ton of traveling this year.

March - Barcelona (family vacation)

April - Tilburg/Amsterdam, NL (Roadburn)

June - London/Paris (family vacation w/ in-laws)

June - Iceland (aborted ATP, went w/ several friends)

also went to Vegas for Psycho LV and met up w/ friends out there.

next year, not sure... hope to ski in Utah in March w/ the family. 

Finally made our 1st family trip to Colorado in June - kid's were troopers while camping and hiking.

Almost made it to a top of mountain (Lily Mountain Trail), but the 4 year petered out with a 1/4 mile to go or so. It was a blast of a hike, though.

Thinking of camping/hiking out east next year, but no plans set.

We were in Iceland for 16 days in June. We rented a camper van and camped all over the island. In a country of amazing places, the Westfjords were number 1. I cannot recommend Iceland enough. Everywhere you look, you are in awe of the natural beauty. I wonder if tinnitus and I were ever in the same place at the same time, since we both were there in June?

A few long weekends in Atlanta, St. Augustine and St. Pete, too. We are leaving Sunday to camp at Ft. Clinch State Park near Fernandina Beach for 3 days

Hey Doug what brings you to Atlanta for the long weekend? I got my in-laws in Marietta so I am there several times a year. Glad everyone is digging Iceland really got to make it there! Winston and NoJ can you see the Northern lights up there? I hear upper peninsular area you can see them?

We saw the northern lights two summers ago in Manitowish. After 20 years of paying attention to coronal mass ejection reports, I finally saw it. Simply breathtaking. The best part though was that my family was with me. It was awesome.

This year I went to:

Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan, AK

Carcross, Yukon Territory

Santa Fe and Albuquerque (and surrounding areas), NM

Cape San Blas, FL

Washington DC

Wilmington, DE

Philadelphia, PA

Seattle, WA

Next year I have the following lined up:

Amsterdam & Paris in Spring

Richmond, VA to see PJ Harvey

Detroit, MI to see Nick Cave (and to cross another state I've never visited off the list)

I was going to go to Red Rocks in May for Tom Petty, but our travel schedule is getting full and my dog is sick of being boarded, so for all of our sakes I scrapped that idea.

Hey Doug what brings you to Atlanta for the long weekend? I got my in-laws in Marietta so I am there several times a year. Glad everyone is digging Iceland really got to make it there! Winston and NoJ can you see the Northern lights up there? I hear upper peninsular area you can see them?

The Country Living Fair every October. My wife is a Country Living magazine fan. It is at Stone Mountain. It has workshops, speakers, authors and such, but basically, it is a huge outdoor flea market for the moneyed class! My wife spends her money from teaching a yoga class after school once a week. We've been going every year for too damned long! I get away from home, see a bit of fall color and, most importantly, make my wife happy.

I want to go to Iceland in the winter for the Northern Lights. The 24 hours of sunlight in the summer was weird.

We were in Iceland for 16 days in June. We rented a camper van and camped all over the island. In a country of amazing places, the Westfjords were number 1. I cannot recommend Iceland enough. Everywhere you look, you are in awe of the natural beauty. I wonder if tinnitus and I were ever in the same place at the same time, since we both were there in June?

we were primarily around Reykjavik, as we did end up seeing two shows that happened in the tatters of ATP (Sleep, and Thee Oh Sees/Angel Olsen). the farthest away we got was up to the glacier north of Gulfoss (ie, not very far). but man was there some amazing scenery, and i want to get back.

a few of my favorite photos from the trip:

p1968132451-5.jpg

p1076535466-5.jpg

p1076535523-5.jpg

p1076562635-5.jpg

^Awesome! Out of all my travel goals Northern Lights is way at the top

Not often, but last summer I got a glorious show as I was floating nekkid in the cold lake during a very nice sauna session. I didn't see a variety of colors - just an eerie green, but the dancing light cascades were fantastic. 

The star gazing in Ely is always fantastic compared to all the light pollution I get just outside of Chicago. 

^^^Great photos Tinnitus. They remind me a lot of the Isle of Skye and the Outer Hebrides.

Ouch

Oh, I was kidding.

We have been going there on a yearly basis until we started  having kids -- we figured at age 6 and 4 they are now finally old enough to fend for themselves against all the forces of nature.

I'm no photographer, but I hope you all don't mind me following tinnitus' lead and posting a few Iceland pics: Well, every picture I choose says "Error This file was to big to upload". I have no tech skills. Sorry.

Morocco with my son.

drove to France by way of Czech and Germany to near Chartres for a family meet-up.

A couple trips to Sweden, but that's for work and doesn't really count.

Morocco! Cool. Did you tour all around the country? I love their food and architecture would like to go some day!