The year in travel

This summer my wife and I took 2 week and went to France, Greece and Jordan. In France we saw 2 games for the Euros (Iceland v Hungry and Ukraine v Poland) and sat on the beach for a few days. We have both been to France before so mostly just relaxed and watched soccer. Then spent 36 sweltering hours in Athens. Saw the Parthenon and other ruins and some museums. Never been very high on on list, but now if we go back we can just skip right to the islands.  Then we went to Jordan. Saw Wadi Rum, place they filmed Lawrence of Arabia, (or those of you who like 'new' movies The Martian), guided by a local who lives there year round with his family. Then we went to Petra. We rode camels in from the back of the monument. It is more than just the one facade, which I didn't know about before we were walking there with our guide. Then spent the night at the Dead Sea. Got to float and rub some mud on us. It was probably the best trip I have ever been on. I would recommend it in a second to anyone. 

Besides that a few trips to family in Omaha, Chicago and Indianapolis and a work retreat to Mexico.  

Fun thread! I did more world travel than usual in 2016.

-A few weeks in Denmark in April and May for work (loved Tivoli)

-Croatia and a little Austria for the last half of June (Plitvice Lakes National Park is fantastic)

-SF in September

-Baltimore in October

Plus a handful of Chicago jaunts

Next year I don't have anything on the books yet, but trying to plan another Euro trip. I don't think Iceland is in the cards this time, but it's definitely somewhere I'd like to go.

Great thread! Some of you are very worldly, I'm jealous. I've never been much of a traveller but I did venture out of British Columbia this year! The wife and I went to Seattle (to see a certain music act). I hadn't spent much time in the US of A before, but it felt very much like Vancouver, just with some slight differences. Next year we'll be going to Chicago, I've never been more east than Calgary before, so that should be interesting. This is all prep for a hopeful eventual trip to London at some point in the next few years.

Other than that we spent a bit of time in Jasper Alberta which is a tourist town in the Canadian rockies. Parks Canada is giving out free passes for next year so we'll probably go back next summer.