Now Playing: 2017

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Star - Third.

As a big fan of the first two Big Star albums, I've been revisiting this album for years hoping I will eventually hear whatever it is that everyone raves about, but aside from a couple songs it still isn't registering.  And some of it I actually find repellant  (Holocaust, for example.  I never want to hear that again.)  I've given it more than a fair shot, and now I give up.  If anyone wants my copy it'll be on Amazon Marketplace by the end of the day.

Big Star - Third.

As a big fan of the first two Big Star albums, I've been revisiting this album for years hoping I will eventually hear whatever it is that everyone raves about, but aside from a couple songs it still isn't registering.  And some of it I actually find repellant  (Holocaust, for example.  I never want to hear that again.)  I've given it more than a fair shot, and now I give up.  If anyone wants my copy it'll be on Amazon Marketplace by the end of the day.

You can't listen to it as a Big Star album, because it's really not a Big Star album. 

It's so bleak. 

And, while I am not trying to convince you to give it another try—you like it or you don't—I'm trying to let you know that it's okay. There is nothing power pop about it. It is, very simply, the sound of a band, and a man, falling apart.

And, IMO, it's as beautiful as it is bleak. Painfully personal. Maybe that is part of why you can't get into it. Or maybe not.

But yeah, it is a difficult record. I just happened to be in a really bad place when it first heard it and it spoke to me.

You can't listen to it as a Big Star album, because it's really not a Big Star album. 

It's so bleak. 

And, while I am not trying to convince you to give it another try—you like it or you don't—I'm trying to let you know that it's okay. There is nothing power pop about it. It is, very simply, the sound of a band, and a man, falling apart.

And, IMO, it's as beautiful as it is bleak. Painfully personal. Maybe that is part of why you can't get into it. Or maybe not.

But yeah, it is a difficult record. I just happened to be in a really bad place when it first heard it and it spoke to me.

It's exactly what I don't want from music.  Bleakness is fine, but if there's no balance I check out.

FLAVOR CHANNEL

Unreleased and rare recordings from one of my favorite Chicago bands of the 1990s. They released one album, but really should have had more and should have made a bigger impact, even locally. I busted my ass trying to find these tracks, but persistence paid off and I got even more than I bargained for. A real treasure trove here. The sound is pretty all over the place, combining straight-up indie pop-rock a la The Smiths, with surf guitars, virtuosic stride piano solos, skronk jazz saxophones, and straight 4-on-the-floor punk piledriving rhythms—in any combination, on any given song.

They were great live, too.