The City of Neighborhoods Project

Hi Wilco fans,

I noticed there is the Going to Chicago... thread that LouieB started, but I thought I would share a neighborhood project I created that features local businesses and organizations in Chicago, for those that are interested.  For each neighborhood, there's a write-up of what a visitor could do and see in a day (modeled after NYT's "36 Hours") and also some interviews with business owners and people who work at the businesses or organizations.  So far, we've completed 4 neighborhood pieces: Andersonville, Greater Grand Crossing, Little Village, and West Ridge.  

Here's a link to the neighborhood guides: http://www.thecityofneighborhoodsproject.com/blog.

To view the excerpts from the interviews, you can select "The Interviews" on the navigation or go there directly: http://www.thecityofneighborhoodsproject.com/interviews/.

I in no way want to spam this forum, so if this is not a good place to share, no problem at all.  If it is okay, I would just update this thread as new pieces are completed.

Thanks!

Super good work on this site.  I live in West Ridge and you did a great job on that.  I am acquainted with the other neighborhoods as well and those seem comprehensive too.  As I say in my thread, get off the beaten track and visit some of these neighborhoods rather than the usual hipster or youth ghettos most folks go to (although Andersonville kind of qualifies as this, but offers much more than Wicker Park or Lakeview.)  Good work.

LouieB

• 2 months later...

Back when it was still part of Rosehill cemetery, I used to sneak in to that wooded section (now the West Ridge Nature Preserve) and go carp fishing. The fishing was awesome! Very isolated spot too, I had concerns that I might stumble across a body. Saw coyotes in there.

Back when it was still part of Rosehill cemetery, I used to sneak in to that wooded section (now the West Ridge Nature Preserve) and go carp fishing. The fishing was awesome! Very isolated spot too, I had concerns that I might stumble across a body. Saw coyotes in there.

I live nearby.  It's a great spot and will be better when some of the plantings mature.  

LouieB

Back in the early 2000s, those woods were INFESTED with raccoons. I mean, they were everywhere.

Infested is right. In fact going by there at midnight was nightmare inducing because folks would feed them and they would come out in packs.  It seemed like there were hundreds, but it was probably just dozens, which for raccoons, who are fairly solitary creatures was so weird.  Sadly I believe they euthanized some and relocated some and they are now gone.

LouieB

I was hunkered down by the shoreline, fishing, when I looked up to see a raccoon sleeping in the crotch of a tree about 10' above my head. Then I starting looking around to see 'coons sleeping in trees all over the place. Never saw anything like that before or since.

• 2 weeks later...

I live nearby.  It's a great spot and will be better when some of the plantings mature.  

LouieB

didn't they just recently pull a body out of there?

I was hunkered down by the shoreline, fishing, when I looked up to see a raccoon sleeping in the crotch of a tree about 10' above my head. Then I starting looking around to see 'coons sleeping in trees all over the place. Never saw anything like that before or since.

i have a hard time believing that.

didn't they just recently pull a body out of there?

i have a hard time believing that.

i heard they did.  I also drove by today and there were emergency vehicles all over the place.

LouieB

• 1 month later...