Wow! Phish announce a 13 show run at MSG for this summer!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lame.  hope they add some Chicago or Alpine dates too.

I can understand, as they are all in their 50s now, wanting to set up shop in one plave for an extended run rather than take on the grind of a full tour yet again.

I'm actually really glad I don't live in the NYC area because figuring out how to do all 13 of those shows would be a bear (and I would literally die afterwards!). Hell, it's taking some gymnastics to get to all 4 Winterlude shows!

The whole concept is being done in part to bust Billy Joel's balls. The piano man was pissed they had a hold on NYE a few years back as he wanted to play MSG, and referred to them as a second rate cover band. Phish responded by playing no covers that NYE run. Billy Joel holds the record for most consecutive sold out shows at MSG - 12. This is not lore, it has been as confirmed as much as can be done.

I can understand, as they are all in their 50s now, wanting to set up shop in one plave for an extended run rather than take on the grind of a full tour yet again.

I'm reminded of those late 80s/early 90s GD MSG runs."We set up shop, you come to us". Completely understandable. But if you're one of those "every show" people, can you even imagine what 2.5 weeks in NYC would cost? I daresay it might be a year's salary for me if you did it right.

I'm reminded of those late 80s/early 90s GD MSG runs."We set up shop, you come to us". Completely understandable. But if you're one of those "every show" people, can you even imagine what 2.5 weeks in NYC would cost? I daresay it might be a year's salary for me if you did it right.

In this case I guess it's more for the fans that live close by! I agree I was think about the cost and it would be staggering! As much as a fan as I am with minimal cost involved I am only planning on going to 2 shows!

The whole concept is being done in part to bust Billy Joel's balls. The piano man was pissed they had a hold on NYE a few years back as he wanted to play MSG, and referred to them as a second rate cover band. Phish responded by playing no covers that NYE run. Billy Joel holds the record for most consecutive sold out shows at MSG - 12. This is not lore, it has been as confirmed as much as can be done.

Fuck Billy Joel! Seriously.

Right. As much as I like going to shows, as I age I become more and more "ok" with watching the shows live from my house/back porch, too.

They got a few thousand fans to spend a ridiculous amount of money to see 3 shows in Mexico. An out of towner pulling off the entire run would be challenging. Would have to be people with no real jobs and excess money, so there will be a handful of drug dealers and trustafarians who can pull it off. 

They got a few thousand fans to spend a ridiculous amount of money to see 3 shows in Mexico. An out of towner pulling off the entire run would be challenging. Would have to be people with no real jobs and excess money, so there will be a handful of drug dealers and trustafarians who can pull it off. 

The Mexico thing (along with The Dead/SCI thing, Warren's Jamaica thing, etc.) are all-inclusive, high-end resorts, though. I'd definitely do one if the time and budget allowed. Jam Cruise, too, would be a hoot.

I doubt a lot of people will be doing all 13 shows, too. Kind of gives a bunch of people to catch a show or 3 throughout the 2-3 week period. It's summertime and NYC is one of the busiest tourist places (THE busiest?) in the U.S. Makes a lot of sense, regardless if it bums people out from distant states.

i suddenly have a lot more respect for Phish

Plus, the video and audio is excellent

beers are better too.