I've "been shown the light"! :banana

Nice little scratch on 5/7 disc 3, though. I'll have to play that one first.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone recall what show it was when Phil(?) said "white rabbit g'dammit!" in response to someone in the crowd? I thought it was 5-2-70 but didn't hear it last night when listening.

According to the below link it was Garcia from 3/2/70

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/04/march-1970.html

he AUD tape catches the opening songs, the SBD tape not coming in until the middle of Know You Rider. The band is in a good mood - there's lots of laughter and inaudible chatter between songs, and Garcia even jokes with the audience, introducing Uncle as "a little spring song". From Casey Jones on, the rowdy Capitol crowd shouts at the band, full of song requests, any random song. (One forlorn soul even requests Rosemary!) Before Hard to Handle, Garcia says, "This isn't New York City. Shit. It's cool, we're not going anywhere." Then he mocks Weir: "White Rabbit, goddammit!"

This should read 3/20/70, not 3.2.70. The comments come after Rider and before Hard to Handle....

Right you are - typo on my part.

Pretty heady essay in the latest 77 release. 5/5/77 sounded great - it's been a while since I listen to the tapes. Now onto 5/7 - my favorite of this set.

Got home late from work on this dreary Friday evening to find the box set had been delivered. Admired the packaging, then went first for the Help>Slip>Franklin's from Buffalo. I'd been waiting a long time to listen to an official release of this show. This did not disappoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HSF was the first thing I listened to as well. Then had to go to set 2 at the Garden, one of my early favorites. A perfect early version of Terrapin. But that Friend of the Devil always got me, as much as I prefer the faster versions. With the excellent sound and slower tempo, the band interplay shines. Even the between song tunings stand out. It really makes you feel like you're there in the dark, listening to the band noodle about, as the tension builds. 

Downside is the packaging is bulky, excessive. Don't know if these CD cases will stand the test of time. Looks cool, so my kids really like to play with it, which just makes me anxious.

Now onto the 5/5 show, since it's the 40th anni of that one!

I've "been shown the light"! :banana

Nice little scratch on 5/7 disc 3, though. I'll have to play that one first.

I went straight for that one after work. Eyes > Wheel > Wharf Rat > Around, US Blues. Played just fine, thank Dog. 

That packaging is fucking surreal, they seem to out-do themselves with nearly every new box. 

I'm forcing myself to listen to these shows in order, so we listened to nothing but 5/5 last night.  WOW!  Betty does not get enough credit.  "Recorded by Betty Cantor Jackson" doesn't come anywhere close to enough credit in response to the beauty, clarity, and separation of instruments and the breathing space of her fine fine mixes that she did in real time!  Amazing work, thank you thank you thank you Betty!.  This kind of recording quality really helps me hear how good a given performance is.  I guess I have to hear all the details, that's why almost no AUDs sound good to me.  I did not A and B this release with my low gen SBD tapes or the Charlie Miller SBDs on archive.org yet, but it sure sounds incredible!

The entire first set was smoking, I have held the Sugaree and the Peggy-O as the best versions ever of those tunes, but I never realized how fantastic the Tennessee Jed was and really top versions of all the songs.  Second set, too, did not let up.  That Scarlet Fire can stand up to any others and it was solid all the way through to a killer Johnny B Goode, which had me thinking "The Grateful Dead are the second best rock band in history at covering Chuck Berry." #1 is the Stones, of course.  Last night in the moment, this seemed like a top ten first set of all time, there really was no weak spot for me.  it was revelatory.

My non Deadhead wife said during Looks Like Rain "this is the first time ever I could say I loved Donna's singing"  She also started out finding only 1972 and the acoustic sets from 1980 and anything with Pigpen as enjoyable Dead.  Now she's saying she likes the Dead from the late 60s all through the 70s, ha ha ha!  My plan to convert her slowly but surely is working!  She also astutely says that Northeast shows are better than West Coast shows, they just played tighter and sharper and more energetically because those East Coast crowds demanded it.  You had to bring your A game for tough crowds in NYC, Philly, Boston, etc.

Probably gonna have to play Boston tonight, but there was something really cool about listening to New Haven exactly 40 years to the day after it happened.  I'm stoked!

Re: Get Shown the Light box:

The beginning and closing essays in the booklet are excellent, providing some great context for where the band were at in that point in time. They also make some great statements on art, humanity, psychedelics. Really dug the discussion on Terrapin, Estimated, and Equinox - will have to give that tune another listen. But the essays on the individual shows are a joke. Seems they were pieced together from internet message boards with Heads using various superlatives to describe every song as the best version ever. I guess they were trying to give a nod to the fans, but seems they were trying to force a narrative on history and culture that ultimately failed. Talking a lot, not saying anything. Frustrating, as there are a lot of Dead writers out there who could've said something more profound or interesting. Not that big a deal relative to the music, but there have been some good essays in the past. If you got the music only version, or a download, no big difference. Not really that many great pictures in the booklet either. End rant.

I'm forcing myself to listen to these shows in order, so we listened to nothing but 5/5 last night. WOW! Betty does not get enough credit. "Recorded by Betty Cantor Jackson" doesn't come anywhere close to enough credit in response to the beauty, clarity, and separation of instruments and the breathing space of her fine fine mixes that she did in real time! Amazing work, thank you thank you thank you Betty!. This kind of recording quality really helps me hear how good a given performance is. I guess I have to hear all the details, that's why almost no AUDs sound good to me. I did not A and B this release with my low gen SBD tapes or the Charlie Miller SBDs on archive.org yet, but it sure sounds incredible!

The entire first set was smoking, I have held the Sugaree and the Peggy-O as the best versions ever of those tunes, but I never realized how fantastic the Tennessee Jed was and really top versions of all the songs. Second set, too, did not let up. That Scarlet Fire can stand up to any others and it was solid all the way through to a killer Johnny B Goode, which had me thinking "The Grateful Dead are the second best rock band in history at covering Chuck Berry." #1 is the Stones, of course. Last night in the moment, this seemed like a top ten first set of all time, there really was no weak spot for me. it was revelatory.

My non Deadhead wife said during Looks Like Rain "this is the first time ever I could say I loved Donna's singing" She also started out finding only 1972 and the acoustic sets from 1980 and anything with Pigpen as enjoyable Dead. Now she's saying she likes the Dead from the late 60s all through the 70s, ha ha ha! My plan to convert her slowly but surely is working! She also astutely says that Northeast shows are better than West Coast shows, they just played tighter and sharper and more energetically because those East Coast crowds demanded it. You had to bring your A game for tough crowds in NYC, Philly, Boston, etc.

Probably gonna have to play Boston tonight, but there was something really cool about listening to New Haven exactly 40 years to the day after it happened. I'm stoked!

These recordings are simply amazing. Each instrument and vocal just open up perfectly. Excellent representations of the sound of the full band on some very hot nights. Thank you Betty!

The beginning and closing essays in the booklet are excellent, providing some great context for where the band were at in that point in time. They also make some great statements on art, humanity, psychedelics. Really dug the discussion on Terrapin, Estimated, and Equinox - will have to give that tune another listen. But the essays on the individual shows are a joke. Seems they were pieced together from internet message boards with Heads using various superlatives to describe every song as the best version ever. I guess they were trying to give a nod to the fans, but seems they were trying to force a narrative on history and culture that ultimately failed. Talking a lot, not saying anything. Frustrating, as there are a lot of Dead writers out there who could've said something more profound or interesting. Not that big a deal relative to the music, but there have been some good essays in the past. If you got the music only version, or a download, no big difference. Not really that many great pictures in the booklet either. End rant.

I agree about the show reviews - it came off like I was reading reviews from archive.org. 

Did not get the set.  I'm curious about the connection of Estimated, Terrapin, Equinox. Quick summary? Thanks!

I shit you not: My boxset was delivered at 4:20. My proof is my wife's rolled eyes and shaking head...

Anyone wants an Apple Lossless dropbox of the 5/5/77 show, send me a PM. I'll have it up shortly.

oh

my

word.

beyond clean goodliness,

this made my weekend and then some.

Well, they did include a book on the Cornell show.

But yeah, the Best Version description of every song grew tiresome.

Wasn't too excited about the Cornell book, but the first few pages are decent enough. Holds some promise. 

Did not get the set.  I'm curious about the connection of Estimated, Terrapin, Equinox. Quick summary? Thanks!

Terrapin and Estimated were the most important songs that year - both introduced and played the most frequently. And both being opposing sides of the psychedelic coin. Terrapin being the inspiration, transcendence, striving for utopia, and Estimated being delusion and darkness. Equinox, a forgotten Lesh opus of the era, bridges the two worlds lyrically with lyrics like "Every man is a prophet/at the mercy of a fool." That's a real quick summary from one reading that probably doesn't do it justice.