• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankenstein was on AMC this past weekend. Funny catching some of the shots that were used in the doc.

I think the holy grail film was the recordings made of them on their first trip to England, that had never before been seen. Funny they call it the "holy grail," as there is another scene in the movie, with the cart being wheeled thru the vault, that is very reminiscent of the ending scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I asked the director if it was intentional, but he gave an indirect answer about it being the "Dead Sea Scrolls" rather than the "grail." 

Bob's wife was just talking about watching the film at TRI and getting take out.

It sounded like she said the________Festival. I was thinking it was something to do with England. 

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Jerry Garcia: The Movie That Changed My Life

It sounded like she said the________Festival. I was thinking it was something to do with England. 

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Jerry Garcia: The Movie That Changed My Life

Could have been the Bickershaw festival, which they played on 5/7/72, but I don't think it was...

If the footage they were exclaiming about was the same they were showing shortly afterwards, that was with a beardless (well, maybe a day's growth) Garcia. Photos of him during the '72 tour had him with a full beard. 

I don't think they toured the UK or Europe before 72. Could be wrong...

Could have been the Bickershaw festival, which they played on 5/7/72, but I don't think it was...

If the footage they were exclaiming about was the same they were showing shortly afterwards, that was with a beardless (well, maybe a day's growth) Garcia. Photos of him during the '72 tour had him with a full beard. 

I don't think they toured the UK or Europe before 72. Could be wrong...

Pretty sure there was an England show or shows in 1970.

I am guessing the footage was from  Live at Newcastle-Under-Lyme on 1970-05-24 - Hollywood Festival

Below is a link about filming the event.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/hollyfilm.html

They talk about the below in the film.

So what ever happened to the film ? There was a TV crew there on the Sunday from the BBC who were dosed by the Deads crew, so that footage was a write off , but presumably the plans for the film of the entire festival fell through . Am I wrong , and cans of film of this historic event are at this moment moldering away quietly in a vault, once again never to see the light of day ?

Just finished Part 5 - it was nice to see all the Dead Heads, again.

I guess it would have been cool to have a small captions of the shows/scene that was being played. I am sure eventually all the scenes will be documented.

I never saw the GD. Imagine your first show being the Watkins Glen show. 

I have a French friend who got into the Dead when he came over here for graduate school. Dude loved to party. Then he was living in Seattle. Some French buddies came to visit. They dosed, and went to a Dead show. I'd imagine it was something like that. He said they were all like little babies. 

I must have missed this or ? - It notes the episodes are Season 1. Does that mean the whole thing is not up there yet? Or is that the whole thing?

I see. In that case - the film seems sort of thin to me. 

They should make it a series. 

Next week on The Continuing Adventures of The Grateful Dead. . .

. . .the boys put on a show you will never forget. . .

. . .plus more wacky stories from Steve Parish. . .