Finished up with the doc., last night. Did think it focused a bit too much on Garcia - but I guess that is expected.

Did notice that Wasserman was behind Weir in the press conference scene right after Garcia's death - which bummed me out even further.

Also I am glad they got the Barlow footage, prior to his recent health issues --- speaking of health issues, it looked like they may have been shooting Weir while he was going through his physical heath issues, esp. in one of the last scenes where he is getting into his car and heading to the field, it seemed like he was struggling a bit.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished up with the doc., last night. Did think it focused a bit too much on Garcia - but I guess that is expected.

Did notice that Wasserman was behind Weir in the press conference scene right after Garcia's death - which bummed me out even further.

Also I am glad they got the Barlow footage, prior to his recent health issues --- speaking of health issues, it looked like they may have been shooting Weir while he was going through his physical heath issues, esp. in one of the last scenes where he is getting into his car and heading to the field, it seemed like he was struggling a bit.

I caught Weir's struggles in that scene as well, but otherwise was surprised at how lucid and coherent he seemed throughout the movie. None of the classic Bobby brain farts or awkwardness seen in other interviews, particularly recently. Barlow's decline has been steep and tragic. 

I see. In that case - the film seems sort of thin to me. 

They should make it a series. 

Next week on The Continuing Adventures of The Grateful Dead. . .

. . .the boys put on a show you will never forget. . .

. . .plus more wacky stories from Steve Parish. . .

Bob was doing a show from TRI a while back, where he would be interviewed by Parish. Followed by some music.

Phil was doing the same last year. Playing a show from that year, preceded by an interview with Jay Blakesberg on what was going on that year in Dead history. 

Obviously a lot more stories to tell.

Bob was doing a show from TRI a while back, where he would be interviewed by Parish. Followed by some music.

Phil was doing the same last year. Playing a show from that year, preceded by an interview with Jay Blakesberg on what was going on that year in Dead history. 

Obviously a lot more stories to tell.

...and next more footage about how preposterous it would be for an 18 year old Englishman to go out in search of England...

Briefly - in the Deadhead episode. You can tell it was Pittsburgh if you have been there. 

I was wrong. It is in the last episode. Start around 15:30. 

It very well be my favorite show. That or 10/13/68

I actually found the Feedback from that show to be enjoyable, as it carries over some of the energy of the previous jam. Are there any other versions of Feedback that stand out? I think I was too young to appreciate it when I got into the Dead, and don't get that twisted anymore that I can handle listening to it. Wondering if there are any versions that stand out, or are they all pretty much the same waves of noise?

I actually found the Feedback from that show to be enjoyable, as it carries over some of the energy of the previous jam. Are there any other versions of Feedback that stand out? I think I was too young to appreciate it when I got into the Dead, and don't get that twisted anymore that I can handle listening to it. Wondering if there are any versions that stand out, or are they all pretty much the same waves of noise?

I'm not a huge "Caution/Feedback" guy but one that stands out is Fillmore East 9.(20, I think).70....

I've read here similar thoughts by folks longing for a '80 Dave's Picks:

http://www.eightiesgratefuldead.com/

Not an 80's/Brent fan, but was listening to Dicks Picks 5, 12/26/79, and enjoyed some of that. Particularly the Estimated, which had some trippy keyboard from Brent while Jerry went wild, followed by a jam that started to sound like Eyes before steering into Caution territory. 

June 30, 1984 (Indy) shakedown > PITB > Terrapin > Drums > Space > PITB... is a work of art...a masterpiece...

I'm glad you think so! That was my favorite hour of GD I ever personally saw live. Seriously!

listening/ watching the free broadcast for Dead and Company. Most of the playing sounds fine. Transitions and musicianship...not so much. Mayer sounds better on the timing and tuning of his fills.Tempos up slightly from last tour- I think.OB definitely got his microphone turned up/on.

and i think its a good move to put this stuff out for free. thats how it always was- i'm not one to ever pay for a webcast. But a free Wednesday night. Tune me in.

listening/ watching the free broadcast for Dead and Company. Most of the playing sounds fine. Transitions and musicianship...not so much. Mayer sounds better on the timing and tuning of his fills.Tempos up slightly from last tour- I think.OB definitely got his microphone turned up/on.

and i think its a good move to put this stuff out for free. thats how it always was- i'm not one to ever pay for a webcast. But a free Wednesday night. Tune me in.

I listened to the show, too, with the stream of comments. I periodically looked at some of the comments and was a little baffled at some of the over-the-top praise (during/after "Truckin'" people saying it was incredible, phenomenal, etc.)  I saw a post on FB from a guy who's seen a lot of GD shows saying he thought it was the best China-Rider he's heard since Brent died. REALLY??!! I thought the tunes sounded ok. There's nothing magical (though Drums/Space was really good) at all in any of this Dead & CO (to me) but it's nice to hear the tunes being played live. 

I'm glad younger folks are getting into it but it's still hard for me to understand the flat-out high esteemed praise from a lot of folks who've been around the block a few times with these songs. My first reaction was that it's hyperbole, but it's not. C'est la vie.

I listened to the show, too, with the stream of comments. I periodically looked at some of the comments and was a little baffled at some of the over-the-top praise (during/after "Truckin'" people saying it was incredible, phenomenal, etc.)  I saw a post on FB from a guy who's seen a lot of GD shows saying he thought it was the best China-Rider he's heard since Brent died. REALLY??!! I thought the tunes sounded ok. There's nothing magical (though Drums/Space was really good) at all in any of this Dead & CO (to me) but it's nice to hear the tunes being played live. 

I'm glad younger folks are getting into it but it's still hard for me to understand the flat-out high esteemed praise from a lot of folks who've been around the block a few times with these songs. My first reaction was that it's hyperbole, but it's not. C'est la vie.

I remember walking out of the second to last show in 95, thinking it was a complete joke, and contemplating mailing the band asking for a refund. It was such a complete embarrassment, and I was pissed. Shocked to run into so many people who thought the show was amazing. Listening back now, pretty sure I got that one right. The Visions was great though. Some people just suck at listening to music.