Looks like Gregg did a GD song on his last album that is coming out:

1. Love Like Kerosene (GA guitarist Scott Sharrard cover)
2. Once I Was (Tim Buckley cover)
3. Love The Life I Live (Willie Dixon cover)
4. Out of Left Field (Percy Sledge cover)
5. Blind Bats And Swamp Rats (Johnny Jenkins cover)
6. Willin' (Little Feat cover)
7. Going, Going, Gone (Bob Dylan cover)
8. Black Muddy River (Grateful Dead cover)
9. Song For Adam (Jackson Browne cover)
10. My Only True Friend (Allman/Sharrard original)

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fine show, but DAMN we need more 80-85. Brentski gettin' the short stick over and over. Oh well.

I think the plan is to keep cranking out the Betty boards shows

If we're gonna be there for awhile then FOR THE LOVE OF GOD  please release the 6/14/76 Beacon show. My favorite Slipknot ever. Crazy Fingers and Playin are standouts as well.

And 5/26/73 Kezar!

For those interested...

2017_08_04_Edited__Garcia__et__al__Batch_05

1966-01-08.gd.sbd.san_francisco        King Bee
1972-07-26.gd.sbd.seattle        Dark Star > Comes A Time
1972-08-27.gd.sbd.veneta        PITB
1973-02-22.gd.sbd.champaign_urbana    GDTRFB>OMSN
1973-02-26.gd.sbd.lincoln        Big RR Blues
1974-05-25.gd.santa_barbara        Tennessee Jed
1974-05-25.gd.santa_barbara        US Blues
1976-06-12.gd.mtx.boston        Lazy Lightning > Supplication
1975-11-22.garcia.aud.st._paul        Roadrunner
1979-05-04.gd.aud.hampton        Half Step > Franklin’s Tower
1979-09-02.gd.sbd.augusta         Let It Grow
1981-08-28.gd.sbd.long_beach        Shakedown > LSailor>St.Circ>Wheel>Jam>Never Trust
1983-03-31.gd.mtx.warfield        Feel Like A Stranger
1985-03-28.gd.mtx.uniondale        The Other One > Black Peter > Sugar Magnolia
1987-08-22.gd.sbd.angel’s_camp        Hell In A Bucket
Batch06 Teaser

1979 and 1980 were great years to play at parties for people that kind of know the Dead but not really. It is uptempo and features a lot of pay-off apexes. The show from Providence on 1980-09-04 features a very jazzy yet uptempo Supplication > Estimated > Eyes. The soloing is very fast paced and loaded with apex after apex. I recently put this on during a post “Dead / Co.” show in chicago and it most definitely kept everyone awake and moving. Similarly, the 04 May 1979 Half Step Franklins features very uptempo soloing from Jerry that just draws your attention. The Half Step has a beautiful apex from Jerry that really is, well, just amazing.
    The 22 August 1987 Hell in a Bucket shows the band in fine form for the late 1980s. Limitations aside, the band could still provide a nice punch in 1987. This version of Hell delivers.
    What could have been…It seemed that in 1979 the band teased the concept of Let it Grow becoming an improvisation vehicle a few times. The 02 September 1979 Let it Grow is just that. Following a well delivered reading of the necessary song portions, Jerry really stretched the themes as the band wandered through his direction. Its very similar to the 1979 PITBs. Really interesting stuff here with lots of apexes and passion.
    The Jerry solo on the 31 March 1983 Stranger features a lot of unique note patterns and reaches an interesting apex and conclusion.
    Shooting fish in a barrel, the 22 February 1973 GDTRFB>OMSN is the band at its rockin’roll best.
There are certain versions of song/jams that really need no description because the legend and date speak for themselves (e.g., 19 November 1972 PITB; 28 September 1972 Other One; 18 July 1972 Dark Star). The 27 August 1972 PITB obviously meets this criteria.
    The Other One from 28 March 1985 has a pretty cool jam after the first verse that gets way out there and settles into an echoey / feedback fog that is worth hearing (as is the following Black Peter Sugar Magnolia). I love Jerry’s singing on the 1985 Black Peters…
    The King Bee from 08 January 1966 Fillmore Acid Test is really interesting. The soloing from Jerry shows how young he was with forming his solos but also shows that unique ability to nail an apex with his flavoring. Really cool stuff. Maybe it is the mix but I can’t really here Bob at all during this. Also, really cool to hear Pig egging Jerry on at several points during the jam.
    As I’ve mentioned before, the June 1976 shows were a bit rough – in my opinion. There were bright spots though. The 12 June 1976 Lazy Supplication is fantastic. The space into Supp starts slow but builds to a great peak. Weir’s delivery of Supplication is confident and tight.
    Despite being on hiatus from the Grateful Dead, Jerry certainly kept busy – arguably more busy in 1975. After Legion of Mary, the fall of 1975 Jerry shows really cooked. The 22 November 1975 Roadrunner smokes. In an alternate universe, this is probably what post Grateful Dead (with no 1976 reincarnation) would have sounded like…could have been worse…
    The 28 August 1981 medley of Shakedown, Lost Sailor, Saint, Wheel, Jam and Never Trust is 31 minutes (edited from 45ish) of pure bliss. The Shakedown apex is delirium, the Lost Sailor Saint is arguably the best I’ve heard (c.f., 06 September 1980?), the Wheel is nailed as almost a ballad, the ensuing pre Never Trust jam features psychedelic blues as  with the Never Trust. All in all, this description epically fails…it must be heard…Again, this is fantastic Dead to play at a party with people who kind of like the dead as it is very fast moving – almost like caffeine…
    Tennessee Jed and U.S. Blues from 25 May 1974 are well done but a hair sloppy – exceptional nonetheless. Anyone else think that 25 May 1974 and 08 June 1974 sound eerily like 1978 Dead? There is a “neatness” I generally hear in the 1974 shows that isn’t quite there with these two…
    The Dark Star Comes a Time from 26 July 1972 had some amazingly beautiful and intense moments inbetween some very drifty and nearly absent moments. I did my best to edit this into a coherent structure. The band (in particular Jerry) sounded very high for this portion of the show. When he sounded focused the jamming was really worth hearing…
    Find me a better Big RR Blues solo than the 26 February 1973 version and I’ll be impressed.
    And…a 40 minute-ish teaser for Batch06.
    Enjoy…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ueelr6x7km5rl40/AADvNa3cgvFVjmDSJLEwXfqUa?dl=0

password rogerrafa

Maybe its just because I just listened to 122-78 but I thought I heard a bit of the Close Encounters theme in the outro jam of the Let It Grow from Augusta 9-2-79.  Nice one, I'd not heard that.  I gotta listen to more Fall '79 especially to look for more times Brent charged into the weirdness like on the Scarelt>Fire transitions and the Playin' jams.  Didn't know he ever did it on Let It Grow that tour, thanks for the tip!

Nice Supplication jam>Estimated, too, from Providence 9-4-80!

For those interested...

2017_08_04_Edited__Garcia__et__al__Batch_05

1966-01-08.gd.sbd.san_francisco        King Bee

1972-07-26.gd.sbd.seattle        Dark Star > Comes A Time

1972-08-27.gd.sbd.veneta        PITB

1973-02-22.gd.sbd.champaign_urbana    GDTRFB>OMSN

1973-02-26.gd.sbd.lincoln        Big RR Blues

1974-05-25.gd.santa_barbara        Tennessee Jed

1974-05-25.gd.santa_barbara        US Blues

1976-06-12.gd.mtx.boston        Lazy Lightning > Supplication

1975-11-22.garcia.aud.st._paul        Roadrunner

1979-05-04.gd.aud.hampton        Half Step > Franklin’s Tower

1979-09-02.gd.sbd.augusta         Let It Grow

1981-08-28.gd.sbd.long_beach        Shakedown > LSailor>St.Circ>Wheel>Jam>Never Trust

1983-03-31.gd.mtx.warfield        Feel Like A Stranger

1985-03-28.gd.mtx.uniondale        The Other One > Black Peter > Sugar Magnolia

1987-08-22.gd.sbd.angel’s_camp        Hell In A Bucket

Batch06 Teaser

1979 and 1980 were great years to play at parties for people that kind of know the Dead but not really. It is uptempo and features a lot of pay-off apexes. The show from Providence on 1980-09-04 features a very jazzy yet uptempo Supplication > Estimated > Eyes. The soloing is very fast paced and loaded with apex after apex. I recently put this on during a post “Dead / Co.” show in chicago and it most definitely kept everyone awake and moving. Similarly, the 04 May 1979 Half Step Franklins features very uptempo soloing from Jerry that just draws your attention. The Half Step has a beautiful apex from Jerry that really is, well, just amazing.

The 22 August 1987 Hell in a Bucket shows the band in fine form for the late 1980s. Limitations aside, the band could still provide a nice punch in 1987. This version of Hell delivers.

What could have been…It seemed that in 1979 the band teased the concept of Let it Grow becoming an improvisation vehicle a few times. The 02 September 1979 Let it Grow is just that. Following a well delivered reading of the necessary song portions, Jerry really stretched the themes as the band wandered through his direction. Its very similar to the 1979 PITBs. Really interesting stuff here with lots of apexes and passion.

The Jerry solo on the 31 March 1983 Stranger features a lot of unique note patterns and reaches an interesting apex and conclusion.

Shooting fish in a barrel, the 22 February 1973 GDTRFB>OMSN is the band at its rockin’roll best.

There are certain versions of song/jams that really need no description because the legend and date speak for themselves (e.g., 19 November 1972 PITB; 28 September 1972 Other One; 18 July 1972 Dark Star). The 27 August 1972 PITB obviously meets this criteria.

The Other One from 28 March 1985 has a pretty cool jam after the first verse that gets way out there and settles into an echoey / feedback fog that is worth hearing (as is the following Black Peter Sugar Magnolia). I love Jerry’s singing on the 1985 Black Peters…

The King Bee from 08 January 1966 Fillmore Acid Test is really interesting. The soloing from Jerry shows how young he was with forming his solos but also shows that unique ability to nail an apex with his flavoring. Really cool stuff. Maybe it is the mix but I can’t really here Bob at all during this. Also, really cool to hear Pig egging Jerry on at several points during the jam.

As I’ve mentioned before, the June 1976 shows were a bit rough – in my opinion. There were bright spots though. The 12 June 1976 Lazy Supplication is fantastic. The space into Supp starts slow but builds to a great peak. Weir’s delivery of Supplication is confident and tight.

Despite being on hiatus from the Grateful Dead, Jerry certainly kept busy – arguably more busy in 1975. After Legion of Mary, the fall of 1975 Jerry shows really cooked. The 22 November 1975 Roadrunner smokes. In an alternate universe, this is probably what post Grateful Dead (with no 1976 reincarnation) would have sounded like…could have been worse…

The 28 August 1981 medley of Shakedown, Lost Sailor, Saint, Wheel, Jam and Never Trust is 31 minutes (edited from 45ish) of pure bliss. The Shakedown apex is delirium, the Lost Sailor Saint is arguably the best I’ve heard (c.f., 06 September 1980?), the Wheel is nailed as almost a ballad, the ensuing pre Never Trust jam features psychedelic blues as  with the Never Trust. All in all, this description epically fails…it must be heard…Again, this is fantastic Dead to play at a party with people who kind of like the dead as it is very fast moving – almost like caffeine…

Tennessee Jed and U.S. Blues from 25 May 1974 are well done but a hair sloppy – exceptional nonetheless. Anyone else think that 25 May 1974 and 08 June 1974 sound eerily like 1978 Dead? There is a “neatness” I generally hear in the 1974 shows that isn’t quite there with these two…

The Dark Star Comes a Time from 26 July 1972 had some amazingly beautiful and intense moments inbetween some very drifty and nearly absent moments. I did my best to edit this into a coherent structure. The band (in particular Jerry) sounded very high for this portion of the show. When he sounded focused the jamming was really worth hearing…

Find me a better Big RR Blues solo than the 26 February 1973 version and I’ll be impressed.

And…a 40 minute-ish teaser for Batch06.

Enjoy…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ueelr6x7km5rl40/AADvNa3cgvFVjmDSJLEwXfqUa?dl=0

password rogerrafa

These are great! Thanks so much. PM'd you about an idea I had.

Nice show, likely overshadowed by 6/18/74. Don't think the Slipknot is quite there yet, but always cool to see it outside of HSF.

Agreed.

It really is interesting how different 6.18 and 6.20 are. 6.18 is definitely more expansive and explorative, while 6.20 is more tight and speed based. Totally different mindsets. Amazing how the band could be such different bands show to show - night to night.

Also, neither night performed PITB.

Duke '78. The entire show (particularly 2nd set) is very "animated". Garcia actually catches air at the end of U.S. Blues...

Here's a little longer clip. Dig Billy's stick toss, perfectly timed, too (hope this doesn't link directly to my FB page....):

https://www.facebook.com/musicplayedtheband/videos/1941857809394633/

I just got done watching Long Strange Trip. I was surprised by how much I didn't like it*, and it makes me feel bad and somewhat used to know that every time I saw the Dead, Jerry would have rather been on his couch living off Ben and Jerry's royalties.  Not that it isn't obvious in hindsight that he was phoning it in for the entire '90s and much of the '80s.

*Lots of meaningless footage of the guys mugging (while also claiming they hated the cameras)

Totally useless interviews (Al Franken, some random nobody deadhead who got episode five almost entirely to himself, and others.)

Glorification of Garcia's downfall as his crowning artistic statement ("He's finally doing pure art now that he's actually dying while singing about dying"...I could throw up)

Non-stop MTV style fast cuts

Completely ignoring several band members (Welnick, Hornsby, Constanten)

Completely ignoring the ordeal with Mickey's dad.

Countless Frankenstein clips (we got it loud and clear after the second time: they created a monster)

No discussion of  GD creating their own record label and ticket business.

The band phoning in any attempt to help Jerry when he was clearly dying.

To its credit, there was some good footage I'd never seen.  Very high quality acid test footage, for example.  All in all, a terrible mess of a film.  Who was the audience supposed to be for this?

Huh, I really liked the Franken parts, and thought his commentary really got to the heart of being a fan. The part about how someone else's favorite Althea just didn't do it for him like HIS Althea did. 

That was the only substantive thing I recall Franken saying.  I like Franken, but a lot of his screen time was just him laughing, or saying "uuuuuh."  I'll bet he said some interesting stuff that didn't make the film, and that's the director's fault, not Franken's.