Listened to 2-13-70, late show/electric set, the other night. Haven't heard this one in quite some time. The conditions were right for a deep listen and I was rightfully blown away. The recording I have is perfect, not a cut or blemish, so I think its a blend of both Bear's recording and the stage crew who set up a recording station under the stage. "Black box nitties and great big noble thighs" indeed!

Also recently listened to The Flying Burrito Bros" from 4/4/1969. Nice stuff.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always forget about the above site - it is usually a funny read -- his riffs on Billy are great. Like:

Okay, let’s do this: Billy looks like a friendly Italian baker who likes to fuck the cannoli before he sells it.

Yeah, cracked me up:

"As always, Bearded Mickey is terrifying."

"There have been many frightful versions of Mickey: Russian Hat Mickey, Shirtless Mickey, Pantless Mickey, but Bearded Mickey is the scariest."

I always forget about the above site - it is usually a funny read -- his riffs on Billy are great. Like:

You've GOT to scroll down to the "Sharp-Dressed Man" piece on the "Foolish Heart" video. Fucking hilarious!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sure does make me feel old since he was still 29 when i first saw the Grateful Dead at the Palladium 4/29/1977. I also saw a great show on his 42nd birthday 10/16/89 at what was then called the Meadowlands area in NJ.  Pretty funny that John Mayer and Mr. Weir share the same birthday.

Sure does make me feel old since he was still 29 when i first saw the Grateful Dead at the Palladium 4/29/1977. I also saw a great show on his 42nd birthday 10/16/89 at what was then called the Meadowlands area in NJ.  Pretty funny that John Mayer and Mr. Weir share the same birthday.

Good show 10.16.89, particularly that 2nd set. Caught them the year before in St. Pete for Bob's bday.

You can't go wrong with any of that run, but I would have preferred 8/24 (Dark Star > Dew is possibly my favorite for that combo). But...8/25 is a Betty, and 8/24 is not. So there's my answer.  :stunned

I love that song Loser. But I have to say I judge all versions by the April 29th 1971 version. I only know that date do the Ladies and Gentlemen release. The sound of Jerry's guitar is just exactly perfect.

You can't go wrong with any of that run, but I would have preferred 8/24 (Dark Star > Dew is possibly my favorite for that combo). But...8/25 is a Betty, and 8/24 is not. So there's my answer.  :stunned

I guess it was recorded by Bear, but it was part of the recent Betty board retrieval. So she just had the board, but she didn't record it? I guess I am confused. 

from dead.net

This complete show was recorded by Owsley "Bear" Stanley, has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman, and features photos by Michael Parrish, tour notes from the road, and original illustrations from Dave Van Patten.

I guess it was recorded by Bear, but it was part of the recent Betty board retrieval. So she just had the board, but she didn't record it? I guess I am confused. 

from dead.net

This complete show was recorded by Owsley "Bear" Stanley, has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman, and features photos by Michael Parrish, tour notes from the road, and original illustrations from Dave Van Patten.

I'll be damned! If memory serves me those were the first shows Bear was working after he got out of jail.

I'll be damned! If memory serves me those were the first shows Bear was working after he got out of jail.

Yeah - Bear was released that summer -- but according to the Relix article - 8/25/72 is a Betty Board. I always assumed a 'Betty Board' meant it was recorded by her -- perhaps that's not the case or the Relix article is incorrect. 

https://www.relix.com/news/detail/the_betty_boards_are_now_in_the_grateful_dead_vault

08.21.72 Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, California

08.22.72 Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, California

08.25.72 Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, California

Read more: https://www.relix.com/news/detail/the_betty_boards_are_now_in_the_grateful_dead_vault#ixzz4voLqK4Mo

People are pitching a fit about how quickly the new Dave’s pick has sold out. Particular harsh criticism is being spewed at people who get the shows just to re-sell them. And of course they say all they are interested in is the music... if that’s the case aren’t most, if not all of these shows available out in the nether? Is it just that these shows have been cleaned up and come with nice packaging? Or are they shows that really are not available right now?

People are pitching a fit about how quickly the new Dave’s pick has sold out. Particular harsh criticism is being spewed at people who get the shows just to re-sell them. And of course they say all they are interested in is the music... if that’s the case aren’t most, if not all of these shows available out in the nether? Is it just that these shows have been cleaned up and come with nice packaging? Or are they shows that really are not available right now?

I've read that there are a few songs in the 2nd set that have never been available.

It could be that there was a Betty recording and a separate Bear recording but I’m not sure. I have read that later in the 70s at least her recordings were done separate and distinct from the other soundboard recording. She used her own tape, tape machine and fed her own mix out of the board into her recorder and there was often a separate recording on a different machine with a different mix at many shows but I don’t know if it’s been documented show by show

It could be that there was a Betty recording and a separate Bear recording but I’m not sure. I have read that later in the 70s at least her recordings were done separate and distinct from the other soundboard recording. She used her own tape, tape machine and fed her own mix out of the board into her recorder and there was often a separate recording on a different machine with a different mix at many shows but I don’t know if it’s been documented show by show

Yeah - that's what I am thinking. As stated, parts of this show was missing from the vault - perhaps they used the recently received Betty stash to fill it in. Maybe the liner notes will shed some light.

Continuing through the surprisingly strong Spring tour from 1983....listening to first set of 15 April 1983...wow - very strong......Now in the second set Stranger Sampson opener - the band is cooking!

Nice. Good era. Caught the New haven shows that spring. The Stephen Still stuff a few nights earlier was cool at Brendan Byrne, but not more so for the appearance rather than the playing....