• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DP 25 is 11/6/77

The Jimmy Page Truckin' show!  :thumbup

And 2018 subscriptions are open now.

Thanks for the heads up! 

What's that about? 

I saw a photo of Ritchie Blackmore wearing a shirt the other day that had the words If The Grateful Dead Can Do It. . .Anybody Can... on the front of the shirt in white letters. 

That was the first tape I ever got.  Love the Fire on the Mountain, vocal flubs and all.

Definitely one my firsts, too.

I tend to listen to the NIU show (10/29/77) more - but 11/6 is a good one, too.

11.6.1977 - great show...no doubt...

I am a bit amazed that they keep releasing shows that already exist in exceptional sbd quality...

Definitely one my firsts, too.

I tend to listen to the NIU show (10/29/77) more - but 11/6 is a good one, too.

Hey, I was at the Northern Illinois University (Normal, IL) show. I was at college in St. Louis and my brother did a year of graduate school in Normal. I remember going, but don't know if I've listened since.  https://archive.org/details/gd77-10-29.sbd.kempa.280.sbeok.shnf

I've had an excellent recording of 11/6/77 forever. That show always stands out to me for the first set, bookended by my favorite Half-Step and  then Jack Straw, and Music to close. Just smoking versions of each. Not that the second set is too shabby :) I've always had a good copy, but I'm glad to get the HDCD treatment of this show!

I am a bit amazed that they keep releasing shows that already exist in exceptional sbd quality...

This has been a curiosity of mine for a long while.The majority of officially released material is available, for free, in near identical quality.

Hey, I was at the Northern Illinois University (Normal, IL) show. I was at college in St. Louis and my brother did a year of graduate school in Normal. I remember going, but don't know if I've listened since. https://archive.org/details/gd77-10-29.sbd.kempa.280.sbeok.shnf

I've had an excellent recording of 11/6/77 forever. That show always stands out to me for the first set, bookended by my favorite Half-Step and then Jack Straw, and Music to close. Just smoking versions of each. Not that the second set is too shabby :) I've always had a good copy, but I'm glad to get the HDCD treatment of this show!

Illinois State is in Normal Northern is DeKalb.

Hey, I was at the Northern Illinois University (Normal, IL) show. I was at college in St. Louis and my brother did a year of graduate school in Normal. I remember going, but don't know if I've listened since.  https://archive.org/details/gd77-10-29.sbd.kempa.280.sbeok.shnf

I've had an excellent recording of 11/6/77 forever. That show always stands out to me for the first set, bookended by my favorite Half-Step and  then Jack Straw, and Music to close. Just smoking versions of each. Not that the second set is too shabby :) I've always had a good copy, but I'm glad to get the HDCD treatment of this show!

Too bad you didn't catch the DeKalb show -- a bit furthur from St. Louis than Normal is - but doable. 

When I started collecting tapes, my main suppliers all went to NIU.

Too bad you didn't catch the DeKalb show -- a bit furthur from St. Louis than Normal is - but doable. 

When I started collecting tapes, my main suppliers all went to NIU.

Yes, DeKalb would have been in range. No idea why we didn't go. I saw quite a bit of the midwest during my 4 years of college following the Dead around: Chicago (Uptown 11/78), Indy, Cincy (just a short time before people got crushed at the gates at the Who show there-could have been us at the Dead show), University of Northern Iowa, Normal. And St. Louis (unfortunately never at the Fox, that was before my time there).  Good memories of all those shows. 

^ Maybe I have it and just forgot?!

Another one of those mid-west shows we trekked to, UNI Dome 2-5-78, https://archive.org/details/gd78-02-05.aud.set2.warner.19466.sbeok.shnf was released as Dick's Picks 18. I know I have that one. 

Did the early bird subscription for the 2018 Dave's Picks series. I vowed I wasn't going to do that again, who has time to listen to all of this? But the GD just have a vacuum permanently affixed to my wallet :)

But the GD just have a vacuum permanently affixed to my wallet :)

^ THIS  :dj

I forgot it’s the 2/5/78 Scarlet that I love: upbeat tempo, bright, and 5 choruses of Jerry soloing before “the wind in the willows” plus a fully developed transition jam. I just dig this one. 4/24/78 is not far behind. ‘78 had great Scarlets, slightly more developed than ‘77s and no Donna screech unlike the otherwise sweet standalones from ‘74

I forgot it’s the 2/5/78 Scarlet that I love: upbeat tempo, bright, and 5 choruses of Jerry soloing before “the wind in the willows” plus a fully developed transition jam. I just dig this one. 4/24/78 is not far behind. ‘78 had great Scarlets, slightly more developed than ‘77s and no Donna screech unlike the otherwise sweet standalones from ‘74

Many consider 2/5/78 to be the definitive version of Scarlet>Fire. Many good ones and I would need to go back and listen to dozens of them just to pick what i would consider to be the best of the many versions i saw them do. Actually, there are worse ways to spend some time! 

Was just listening to Dicks Picks 34, 11/5/77. The Truckin' gets pretty rippin, maybe similar to the one from the next night people are referencing coming out on the next Dave's Pick? Not sure myself, haven't listened to the 11/6 version yet. The Around and Around that follows carries over that energy, and is actually a must listen for a tune that I've grown pretty tired of. Jerry is just in the zone.