Came home to find Dave's 24 in my box - wasn't expecting to get it today. Perfect Friday afternoon listening.

A hot Promise Land - Keith is a rockin'

Interesting Stella Blue, Jerry rushes it a bit -- guess this must be one of the earlier versions.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave's Picks 24, 8/25/72. Why is the 2nd set so short? Probably been discussed but I forget. Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing last night. Has to be the reel ran out and nobody changed it out. But I'm speculating.

Came home to find Dave's 24 in my box - wasn't expecting to get it today. Perfect Friday afternoon listening.

A hot Promise Land - Keith is a rockin'

Interesting Stella Blue, Jerry rushes it a bit -- guess this must be one of the earlier versions.

Had it "cranking" out of a little blue tooth speaker as I was raking leaves yesterday. Great soundtrack for me. 

But it got me to thinking - I would love it if Dave based his picks on the season for which that particular pick is coming out. He has 4 picks a year, why not match the season?

Had it "cranking" out of a little blue tooth speaker as I was raking leaves yesterday. Great soundtrack for me. 

But it got me to thinking - I would love it if Dave based his picks on the season for which that particular pick is coming out. He has 4 picks a year, why not match the season?

He mixes it for the hallucinations, so might as well coordinate for the seasons too.

Because summers fade and roses die?

I can't let the day pass without mentioning the 11/2/69 Dark Star. My favorites from the year that aren't 2/27 (Live Dead - perfection, no one argues that!) are 4/22 The Ark and 11/2 Family Dog. It mines much of the same territory of 11/8 (official release) but I think it's better.

Anyone have a theory about why this current iteration of the GD has been so much more successful in terms of touring revenue than previous ones (such as The Other Ones, Furthur, or The Dead)?

I can offer the obvious answer: John Mayer. Which I believe to be not only the obvious answer, but the correct one as well :) Secondarily, Oteil, and Mayer's impact on Weir, which is based on perception, but I also believe it to be true. Perhaps I should give Weir more credit on his own, but I detect a noticeable uptick in his guitar playing and energy. Perhaps that's 100% the result of Weir himself, perhaps its partially the result of some emotional and creative spillover from having Mayer in the band. My $.02. But as your base proposition suggests, fans are much more enthused about this version.  

Maybe because Phil isn't around, so they can have fun ( i kid - kind of).

I agree that Oteil and Mayer bring a lot more energy to the table and that energy is definitely felt at the shows - at least during the shows that I was at.

It definitely feels like an actual band again, rather than musicians just sitting in with the rest of the Grateful Dead dudes (or dude).

I can offer the obvious answer: John Mayer. Which I believe to be not only the obvious answer, but the correct one as well :) Secondarily, Oteil, and Mayer's impact on Weir, which is based on perception, but I also believe it to be true. Perhaps I should give Weir more credit on his own, but I detect a noticeable uptick in his guitar playing and energy. Perhaps that's 100% the result of Weir himself, perhaps its partially the result of some emotional and creative spillover from having Mayer in the band. My $.02. But as your base proposition suggests, fans are much more enthused about this version.  

Makes sense. I mean, obviously, he's the singular difference. Who'd a thunk it.  Who could have guessed a few years ago that the Dead would again be a top touring act by just adding John Mayer? I can't imagine seeing that being pitched a few years ago. 

Are there really that many Mayer fans, particularly among the older folks? I guess so, and honestly, it kind of blows my mind a bit. I've been to a few shows and just find the music pretty pedestrian (has it's moments from time to time but nothing I'd ever go back to and listen on tape and/or even remember a couple days later). 

Personally, I'd still rather see a "Jerry clone" (Kadlicek, Mattson, Stu, etc.) than Mayer up there.

I was watching bits of the show from MSG two nights ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17LAkWdX57s&t=3002s

It's OK, but, as has been said before, every song is just a bit slow. I stopped listening after Bertha. 

Maybe being there with a loud and receptive audience would make it better, but I can't imagine paying the $150 GA ticket (I'm guessing upwards of $190 after fees). That's some serious coin. Not sure what the cheapest seats cost, but not sure I want to be in the nosebleeds either. 

Are there really that many Mayer fans, particularly among the older folks? I guess so, and honestly, it kind of blows my mind a bit. I've been to a few shows and just find the music pretty pedestrian (has it's moments from time to time but nothing I'd ever go back to and listen on tape and/or even remember a couple days later). 

Personally, I'd still rather see a "Jerry clone" (Kadlicek, Mattson, Stu, etc.) than Mayer up there.

It helps that my wife likes Mayer --- though she never was really a fan of him prior to the Dead and Co. thing. He doesn't bug me and I think his playing is good and at times great.

He definitely brings something different- for better or worse - than the above guitars mentioned. I never been a fan of the whole 'clone' idea.

I just never gotten it - If I want to listen to somebody play like Garcia - I will just put on a tape - like this morning 11/14/72 has been playing.

I listened to each of the shows that I attended once - mostly because I wanted to hear how the taper did. I probably would watch more shows - via a webcast - if they were not so expensive. 

A combo of Mayer and the hype that got built up with the 50th anniversary and Fare thee Well. It's still the only place you can have that kind of an experience on that large of a scale in a relatively safe environment. Mayer has some name recognition for the younger generation and wives that Warren and Kimock don't. Plus, for a large part of the fanbase, they're just glad it's not Trey. The anti-Trey/Phish movement among Deadheads is weird. Insecure bunch.

I guess I didn't think the whole anti-Trey/Phish was still a thing. I heard the rumbling prior to the FTW shows, but not since. 

Can't say I have seen any 'Anybody but Trey' shirts floating around the lots, either.

(Though I don't follow any this too closely)

I think Mayer "gets it" in a way that others haven't. And I love Warren to death, but Mayer has incorporated this music into his DNA in a way others haven't. I think his playing is great, as is his enthusiasm for the music. That being said, everything is so mid-tempo. THe last show I saw last summer, the entire show was at the same tempo, no variety from song to song. No doubt, JRAD is my favorite version of GD music to see live. By far. But the bottom line is, as was noted above, when I want to listen to GD music I listen to the Grateful Dead. I never put on any Dead and Co., and only occasionally will I watch or listen to JRAD, as much as I love that band. Not like there's any shortage of GD music to listen to!