I completely agree. I saw the Wrigley shows this past summer on a friday / saturday (petty on thursday). The tempo did seem the same...and I would never listen to the deadco for fun. That urge is always satisfied by Jerry.

Listening to 23 June 1974 right now...Beyond the obvious Dark Star > Spanish > US Blues jam...the WRS>China Doll and spacey jam > Ship Fools is exceptional. The band was very very very loose during that June 1974 tour...

I think Mayer "gets it" in a way that others haven't. And I love Warren to death, but Mayer has incorporated this music into his DNA in a way others haven't. I think his playing is great, as is his enthusiasm for the music. That being said, everything is so mid-tempo. THe last show I saw last summer, the entire show was at the same tempo, no variety from song to song. No doubt, JRAD is my favorite version of GD music to see live. By far. But the bottom line is, as was noted above, when I want to listen to GD music I listen to the Grateful Dead. I never put on any Dead and Co., and only occasionally will I watch or listen to JRAD, as much as I love that band. Not like there's any shortage of GD music to listen to!

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to 23 June 1974 right now...Beyond the obvious Dark Star > Spanish > US Blues jam...the WRS>China Doll and spacey jam > Ship Fools is exceptional. The band was very very very loose during that June 1974 tour...

aah, the Miami Jai-Alai show. Always a favorite. Especially love that Spanish Jam.

I've watched some video with Mayer playing with the boys and it didn't do anything for me. My preconceived notions of Mayer didn't help either.

I think if this DeadCo LLC thing was writing and performing newer music written with this lineup in mind I'd probably be more receptive to it. Hell, Weir's last LP was pretty decent, I'm sure Mayer has lots of tunes lying around, Hart just released a new album, and I'm sure the rest of the band has numerous musical ideas that could/should come to life onstage. But the question is - how many people would go to a 20K seat hockey arena and pay $100 and up to see it?

A rehash of 40 year old tunes, played at depressing slow tempos, just isn't something I can get off on. And I have tried, I've listened to a few streams, watched a few vids, etc. I cannot get off - and that's what it's all about, right? If people are going and getting off, I'm happy for them. Even though I can't understand it.

I think Mayer "gets it" in a way that others haven't. And I love Warren to death, but Mayer has incorporated this music into his DNA in a way others haven't. I think his playing is great, as is his enthusiasm for the music. That being said, everything is so mid-tempo. THe last show I saw last summer, the entire show was at the same tempo, no variety from song to song. No doubt, JRAD is my favorite version of GD music to see live. By far. But the bottom line is, as was noted above, when I want to listen to GD music I listen to the Grateful Dead. I never put on any Dead and Co., and only occasionally will I watch or listen to JRAD, as much as I love that band. Not like there's any shortage of GD music to listen to!

"Gets it" is ambiguous and subjective. I would say that Mayer gets it less than just about any previous guitar player, unless gets it means generically regurgitating the riffs while adding a bit of SRV blues shredding to psychedelic masterpieces like the Other One.

It helps that my wife likes Mayer --- though she never was really a fan of him prior to the Dead and Co. thing. He doesn't bug me and I think his playing is good and at times great.

He definitely brings something different- for better or worse - than the above guitars mentioned. I never been a fan of the whole 'clone' idea.

I just never gotten it - If I want to listen to somebody play like Garcia - I will just put on a tape - like this morning 11/14/72 has been playing.

If I'm at a show watching a band play GD songs (or JGB songs, for that matter), I DO want to hear a close resemblance to Garcia. Save for JRAD, whom just have an amazing vibe and sound and uniqueness to them that other "cover" bands don't, I'll take the clones of DSO, current JGB, etc. any time....

Fuck. I missed out on nabbing JRAD tickets in Chicago on Feb 17. It's sold out now. I hesitated when I considered we have a new boy due at the beginning of Feb, and that weekend would be deemed "Valentine's" date weekend, and that my 2nd boy turns three on the 19th (and a smaller consideration was given to the venue, the Riviera, which has really shitty acoustics). 

But no, yeah, Papa wants to go get stoned and see a show downtown. See ya! Have fun with the newborn on Valentine's weekend, and hope I'm not too hungover for Georgie's birthday!

Fuck. I missed out on nabbing JRAD tickets in Chicago on Feb 17. It's sold out now. I hesitated when I considered we have a new boy due at the beginning of Feb, and that weekend would be deemed "Valentine's" date weekend, and that my 2nd boy turns three on the 19th (and a smaller consideration was given to the venue, the Riviera, which has really shitty acoustics). 

But no, yeah, Papa wants to go get stoned and see a show downtown. See ya! Have fun with the newborn on Valentine's weekend, and hope I'm not too hungover for Georgie's birthday!

Well double fuck - didn't hear anything about this show until now. Crap. 

Speaking of the Riv - Phil is playing there tomorrow and Thursday.  Tickets still available for both nights. 

I'll catch jrad in madison...

I'm catching them 2 nights during JazzFest!

"Gets it" is ambiguous and subjective. I would say that Mayer gets it less than just about any previous guitar player, unless gets it means generically regurgitating the riffs while adding a bit of SRV blues shredding to psychedelic masterpieces like the Other One.

Ha! Yes, YMMV!

BTW, I have to note that there is more discussion of GD and other bands than of Wilco here these days. I'm still in a little bit of shock that there's no report of last night's show (in St. Louis of all places!) and that I had to go to FB to get a setlist. But let's keep the GD chatter going.

Wow. Two Boulder shows last summer sold out in minutes!

Yeah - I am kinda surprised that it isn't sold out -- on paper, the band that he is bringing, doesn't motivate me to go. I noticed a few weeks ago he added  Eric Krasno and Karl Denson to the bill. 

But let's keep the GD chatter going.

My ex won tix to Jackie Greenes's Bday bash show last Saturday at the Warfield with Anders Osborn, Phil, Bob maybe?, etc. She flew out with her boyfriend or whatever he is and was asked to present the birthday cake and organized the crown in a "Happy Birthday" from stage. Jerk.

Well double fuck - didn't hear anything about this show until now. Crap. 

Speaking of the Riv - Phil is playing there tomorrow and Thursday.  Tickets still available for both nights. 

I spotted a few tix on stubhub in the low $50s. Not a huge markup, but... fuck scalpers.

Like mountain bed, I've never been able to get into the Mayer incarnation. I just don't like the guy or his playing, and I've still given it an honest shot, both on video and audio. All I can say is "ugh." Glad it works for somebody, 'cause it ain't ever gonna work for me.

The best post-Jerry incarnation with both Bobby and the drummers that I ever saw was in Tampa in 2003, and that was with Jimmy Herring on lead. I'm going to see him with John McLaughlin the weekend after Thanksgiving, and I'd rather go to that show than any show with Mayer in it. Sorry, Weir!

Like mountain bed, I've never been able to get into the Mayer incarnation. I just don't like the guy or his playing, and I've still given it an honest shot, both on video and audio. All I can say is "ugh." Glad it works for somebody, 'cause it ain't ever gonna work for me.

The best post-Jerry incarnation with both Bobby and the drummers that I ever saw was in Tampa in 2003, and that was with Jimmy Herring on lead. I'm going to see him with John McLaughlin the weekend after Thanksgiving, and I'd rather go to that show than any show with Mayer in it. Sorry, Weir!

Let us know how that McLaughlin/Herring show is - if you don't mind...

I didn't hear about the tour until recently and the two Chicago dates are sold out. Sounds like a great show. 

I know I am beating dead horse here - but if I only listened and watched a webcast of Dead & Co. - I may feel the same way, but actually going to a show is a whole different thing for me - with this band. The whole vibe is pretty great and the music is a big part of it. It's weird, I guess.

It does suck that prices for tickets for this Fall tour are a bit expensive - but so it goes.

I saw the Herring/McLaughlin show in Boston. Wow! A night of incredible music, especially but not limited to the guitars. McLaughlin is like 75 years old. His playing is still amazing-smooth, fast, and beautiful tone. Hadn’t seen him in like 40 years when I saw the original Mahavishnu at Avery Fisher Hall. Go see them if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as a younger head (born in '78) who only got to see the boys live once (10/1/94 at boston garden- solid show), most of my live experiences with the music have been post-dead, so to speak. i loved the phil and friends and furthur shows i caught in the late '90's- early 2000's- lots of great memories. still, i haven't brought myself to go to a dead and co. show- while i love oteil, and mayer's certainly a great player, it's just too weird to me. from what i've watched and listened to, the all-mid-tempo energy critiques seem to ring pretty true...

that being said, JRAD is one of the best live acts i have ever seen, period. first saw them 2 nights at the paradise right after thanksgiving two years ago, and i was hooked. faithful to the songs and spirit, but with their own special flavor and incredible musicianship to boot.

seeing them saturday 12/9 in boston, and i'm already getting stoked. trying hard to make the night before as well, but these shows sold out so fast and i can't quite get my head around paying stubhub prices for a second show (if anyone has a line on an extra GA floor single for friday 12/8 let me know!

Dang. I really want to see JRAD. I came THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger on a pair of Stub Hub tickets just now, but just couldn't spend $130 on 2 tickets. I think the thing that got me was that the price of the ticket on Stubhub was $48 per ticket, but then had an additional $30 for "convenience fees."

Fuck it.