• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never listen to Deadco (i.e., the sans garcians) on my own. But, seeing them live was a pretty fun thing to do. The crowd, the scene, the circus, etc. was a blast. The music was fun too but I'd often catch myself inserting Jerry leads / sounds / feeling in my head while listening to solos...

For me, Deadco is a totally different scene than the late 80s when I saw my plethora of shows. It just seems safer now - like it is department store dead. Maybe it is me - i'm older and more established and secure with myself. Back in 87, 88, 89 and 90 seeing the Dead meant that I was skipping out on establishing what I am today. It was a form of professional hooky. I wouldn't trade it for the world but it just seemed riskier and more dangerous back then than now.

That "risk" ingredient added a lot. That "risk" ingredient is missing today. I often wouldn't know how I'd get to the next show or where I was sleeping. That is gone now.

Department Store Dead...

I'd never listen to Deadco (i.e., the sans garcians) on my own. But, seeing them live was a pretty fun thing to do. The crowd, the scene, the circus, etc. was a blast. The music was fun too but I'd often catch myself inserting Jerry leads / sounds / feeling in my head while listening to solos...

For me, Deadco is a totally different scene than the late 80s when I saw my plethora of shows. It just seems safer now - like it is department store dead. Maybe it is me - i'm older and more established and secure with myself. Back in 87, 88, 89 and 90 seeing the Dead meant that I was skipping out on establishing what I am today. It was a form of professional hooky. I wouldn't trade it for the world but it just seemed riskier and more dangerous back then than now.

That "risk" ingredient added a lot. That "risk" ingredient is missing today. I often wouldn't know how I'd get to the next show or where I was sleeping. That is gone now.

Department Store Dead...

Yeah, the risk factor! Those were my main/most shows seen years seeing the band, as well. The band was truly in peak form, imo, as well. 

I watched the "Jack Straw" on Colbert last night, almost by mistake, and couldn't get over how crappy it sounded. Mayer's guitar tone and plucking sounded like a high school garage band kid doing it. I don't get "it" and guess I never will as I've tried a bunch (a few live shows and plenty of audio/video shows).

Oof. Yeah, that is some weak sauce. Might be the softest Jack Straw I’ve ever heard.

I’m glad for the people who are digging it, but I just can’t get past Mayer at all. His guitar work doesn’t bother me as much as that breathy thing he does with his voice. I’d rather eat lead paint than listen to him singing anything, much less Dead tunes.

Yes, Mayer knows all the licks and riffs, but just seems to be compulsively vomiting them up regardless of what the rest of the band is doing. Not interacting, just soloing over them. And agreed on his vocals. He can't connect to the characters like the outlaw in Jack Straw the way Garcia could. 

Yes, Mayer knows all the licks and riffs, but just seems to be compulsively vomiting them up regardless of what the rest of the band is doing. Not interacting, just soloing over them. And agreed on his vocals. He can't connect to the characters like the outlaw in Jack Straw the way Garcia could. 

Last night, due to an over-zealous group of fb friends, I watched the MSG DeadLLD "St. Stephen." There's a point where they are "supposed" to go into the vocals andf Mayer wankers off over the attempt (the look on Chimenti's face is pretty funny, actually). When Garcia would do this, put the extra kick into a tune musically, it was usually a highlight. Mayer's attempts come off as lowlights, imo.

I saw the bulk of my shows from 87 thru 90. I don't recall too much "risk" outside of the normal risks that state and fed laws imposed on my lifestyle. Lots of sketchy people on the scene though. We always had a tent or car to sleep in/under. I could see not having one making things very different.

I saw the bulk of my shows from 87 thru 90. I don't recall too much "risk" outside of the normal risks that state and fed laws imposed on my lifestyle. Lots of sketchy people on the scene though. We always had a tent or car to sleep in/under. I could see not having one making things very different.

I guess it's hard to describe. I mean blowing off school and putting myself at academic risk by going to Chicago for 2 nights / milwaukee for 2 nights and then minneapolis. Or, quitting through not showing up to yet another job. Or, blowing my family off. etc. etc.

It was necessary to form who I am, but at a lot of those shows there was a really interesting mixture of feelings - complete joy and ebullience on the one hand, and fear on the other. Not for every show, but for a lot of them...And returning home and accomplishing what i needed to accomplishing made it all worthwhile. I could have followed the path I should have or the path that society dictated I should follow, but I chose my own path - at least for those days.

Its like running outside during a tornado watch -- totally stupid thing to do in terms of what society deems to be right / wrong, but having survived it, it makes you all the better of a person ((((or voting for Jill Stein instead of Hillary)))).

I just watched that Jack Straw on Colbert. That was very lame. It's also not representative of the few shows I've seen. But it does feed the narrative for those who aren't fans of this band. I'm going tonight, we'll see what they bring. After two fabulous Wilco shows in St. Paul, tonight will have to be a letdown!

I get that whole wild risk thing, and I suppose it’s for the best that that seems largely gone from the scene. But it sure was fun: riding from Lynchburg to Richmond, VA in the Fall of ‘83 with a car full of stoned freaks, to catch my one and only Crazy Fingers; losing the crowd I was with in Saratoga in ‘84 and just sticking out my thumb, assured I’d get a ride from a stranger (he went 40 minutes out of his way to drop me right at my door. Deadheads!); and, sober in the early ‘90s, bailing on the scene when a friend and I both caught the grim, dark vibe of where things had turned.

It was a special time in many ways, and for me, it was about much more than the Dead. It was the inherent wildness of those pre-internet 70s-80s concerts, some of which I’m still discovering thanks to tapers and FM broadcasts recorded back then: Yes, Genesis, Crimson, Zappa, Bowie, and, on the harder side of things, the early incarnations of Aerosmith, Van Halen, Led Zep, etc. I think I was born about 10 years too late, but I’m glad I got to be where I was.

I saw the Herring/McLaughlin show in Boston. Wow! A night of incredible music, especially but not limited to the guitars. McLaughlin is like 75 years old. His playing is still amazing-smooth, fast, and beautiful tone. Hadn’t seen him in like 40 years when I saw the original Mahavishnu at Avery Fisher Hall. Go see them if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 3rd row DFC for this Sunday night!

Department Store Dead...

I love this. Perfect.

I watched the "Jack Straw" on Colbert last night, almost by mistake, and couldn't get over how crappy it sounded. Mayer's guitar tone and plucking sounded like a high school garage band kid doing it. I don't get "it" and guess I never will as I've tried a bunch (a few live shows and plenty of audio/video shows).

I guess I'll never 'get it' either, brother.

Anyone have a theory about why this current iteration of the GD has been so much more successful in terms of touring revenue than previous ones (such as The Other Ones, Furthur, or The Dead)?

I do, its because they are using the mid 80's template when the GD were at the height of their popularity with regard to the structure of the shows.  also, mayer is bringing in a lot of young fans who were never into the Dead before

Caught the tour opener last sunday at MSG  and really enjoyed it and I am a big skeptic when it comes to the post Jerry GD world.  Got lucky with the set list and the tempos and thought Mayer (who I really wanted to dislike initially) did a real good job.  guy can play that guitar and wasn't copying Jerry which I usually find to be a big turn off

I do, its because they are using the mid 80's template when the GD were at the height of their popularity with regard to the structure of the shows.  also, mayer is bringing in a lot of young fans who were never into the Dead before

Caught the tour opener last sunday at MSG  and really enjoyed it and I am a big skeptic when it comes to the post Jerry GD world.  Got lucky with the set list and the tempos and thought Mayer (who I really wanted to dislike initially) did a real good job.  guy can play that guitar and wasn't copying Jerry which I usually find to be a big turn off

Good points. I also think it is because they are a band and not 4 dudes from the Dead playing with other musicians for a tour. Mayer is really into these songs where as Haynes and Herring were just there to play their lead-style guitar to fill in. Same with Trey at FTW. I also think there was a lot of buzz and momentum created by FTW which helped them. Definitely helped Phish. To keep this going there has to be some new blood that keeps it interesting rather than rehashing. Although, I know many see it as rehashing. Furthur was very tight, but very weird with JK in the uncanny valley of JG. 

I go back and forth with D/Co. If I'm in the mood for very mellow slow Dead-ish music, I like it. Oteil and Jeff are definitely adding something to the music rather than just playing along. Bob is Bob now. Ultimately, this is what the core 4 have been searching for over the last 20 years. Not replacements, but musicians who could fill the open spot with their sound and have it sound good with the music. To be a new member of the band. Make it continually interesting. Sure, I miss Phil, but Oteil in that spot has been very compelling. If they lose the drummers, Joe Russo would be totally compelling in that spot.  Does that make sense?

FWIW, I got free tickets to a recent Eagles concert (I know, but I love 'em:). Of course Frey was missed, but Vince Gill is the heir to that place in the band. He was excellent and the band didn't miss a beat. In fact, they seemed more like a band than they ever had because Henley's arch competition was gone. Henley was totally comfortable playing all Eagles and Joe Walsh songs.  

Good points. I also think it is because they are a band and not 4 dudes from the Dead playing with other musicians for a tour. Mayer is really into these songs where as Haynes and Herring were just there to play their lead-style guitar to fill in. Same with Trey at FTW. I also think there was a lot of buzz and momentum created by FTW which helped them. Definitely helped Phish. To keep this going there has to be some new blood that keeps it interesting rather than rehashing. Although, I know many see it as rehashing. Furthur was very tight, but very weird with JK in the uncanny valley of JG. 

I go back and forth with D/Co. If I'm in the mood for very mellow slow Dead-ish music, I like it. Oteil and Jeff are definitely adding something to the music rather than just playing along. Bob is Bob now. Ultimately, this is what the core 4 have been searching for over the last 20 years. Not replacements, but musicians who could fill the open spot with their sound and have it sound good with the music. To be a new member of the band. Make it continually interesting. Sure, I miss Phil, but Oteil in that spot has been very compelling. If they lose the drummers, Joe Russo would be totally compelling in that spot.  Does that make sense?

FWIW, I got free tickets to a recent Eagles concert (I know, but I love 'em:). Of course Frey was missed, but Vince Gill is the heir to that place in the band. He was excellent and the band didn't miss a beat. In fact, they seemed more like a band than they ever had because Henley's arch competition was gone. Henley was totally comfortable playing all Eagles and Joe Walsh songs.  

I miss Phil, too - but no one can say Oteil's not a VERY good singer. IMO he should sing ALL the Jerry ballads. He certainly has a quality to his vocals that makes it ok for me. Jeff certainly has earned the position on the keys. As far as Mayer goes - it just like he's out of his element. I know the guy can fucking play, he can play some blues. Can you imagine how it might work if he played a Cream tribute? 

I watched it, Mr. H. On the plus side - the tempo didn't drag like it has for most of what I've heard. The down side - super short, "AM radio version" - no minor key jam AT ALL, and Mayer's tone was really really thin.

I miss Phil, too - but no one can say Oteil's not a VERY good singer. IMO he should sing ALL the Jerry ballads. He certainly has a quality to his vocals that makes it ok for me. Jeff certainly has earned the position on the keys. As far as Mayer goes - it just like he's out of his element. I know the guy can fucking play, he can play some blues. Can you imagine how it might work if he played a Cream tribute? 

great points fellas.  I wholeheartedly concur.  it was nice being back at MSG with the boys

Anyone have a theory about why this current iteration of the GD has been so much more successful in terms of touring revenue than previous ones (such as The Other Ones, Furthur, or The Dead)?

I was on the fence about John Mayer being a part of it.

But after having seen a Worchester show 2 years ago I was a believer that this might work. I have since seen summer shows in CT, Fenway, and the two most recent Boston's .

. The present incarnation delivers the most energized sand balanced Show since GD.

Thankful that I saw the original. Nothing will come close to when they were on. I'm happy that they are committed to keeping this music alive by playing it live. Many of my friends feel the same. Reviews are often filled with the words this bamds on fire, sometimes they do lock in tightly on a jam, and get a well deserved hand for their efforts.

Also I think the song selection is better and has some Radio hits evenly sprinkled to maintain the casual fan's interest.

More than a footnote is Otiel's contribution he continues to expand his role by singing more and the fans at the show Love IT. I'm looking forward to seeing them again!

Let us know how that McLaughlin/Herring show is - if you don't mind...

I didn't hear about the tour until recently and the two Chicago dates are sold out. Sounds like a great show.

John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring were incredible last night, as well as pretty much all the players. Especially loved the George Duke-like stylings of Herring’s keyboard player.