anyone get the access pass text today for Weir Lesh shows?

I signed up for it, but I got email earlier stating that I was put on a wait-list. Honestly, I didn't think the demand would be that high - I guess it is good for the two that it is.

Onto 12/14/80 - another decent show. Great Loser - the drums/space has been great during this run, too  -----.Drums/Space with Airto Moriera and Flora Purim - really cool stuff.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed up for it, but I got email earlier stating that I was put on a wait-list. Honestly, I didn't think the demand would be that high - I guess it is good for the two that it is.

Onto 12/14/80 - another decent show. Great Loser - the drums/space has been great during this run, too  -----.Drums/Space with Airto Moriera and Flora Purim - really cool stuff.

Hold-overs from the Apocalypse Now sessions. I think I've posted this before, but this aricle on the evolution of Drums-Space (Drums, Space) is pretty neat if you're into that kind of thing (specific note is made regarding the Long Beach shows, too):

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2017/03/drums-and-space-guest-post.html

Check your inbox. I just sent you my code, which was sent this morning. It's for the 3/10 show.

I'm not going to use it. As far as I know, I'm not on a wait list (never got such an e-mail)

You don't know Mtn Jam bro?

Lots of my friends that are ABB & GD also were unaware of Donovan's Lyrics or that there were lyrics ..

Moving on Picked reasonable priced tkts Bob & Phil in Boston at what was once the Wang Theatre that Wilco has played prior.. Supposed to have some special guests ..

Avoided the package 449 for two drinks and soundcheck

Funny you should mention Apocalypse Now. Just last night I was listening to the vinyl soundtrack that I picked up over the weekend. Remember that scene when Willard and Lance get off the boat and go looking for someone in command? Lance is tripping his brains out. Well, that entire scene is on the soundtrack. And that scene is one of my favorite film moments of all time. Needless to say, I was thrilled.

Lots of my friends that are ABB & GD also were unaware of Donovan's Lyrics or that there were lyrics ..

Moving on Picked reasonable priced tkts Bob & Phil in Boston at what was once the Wang Theatre that Wilco has played prior.. Supposed to have some special guests ..

Avoided the package 449 for two drinks and soundcheck

That is probably the case for the casual music fan. I'm pretty obsessed with Mountain Jam and it's origins. Somewhat related, here's a Duane era Mountain Jam where they tease Dark Star in the intro:

https://youtu.be/8try-yDpEzY

Tried for single for one of the shows in Chicago and nothing -- crazy.

Maybe it is because Phil couldn't sell out the Riv either of the nights last month - but I didn't think it would be such a huge draw - definitely was wrong about that. (Or everybody really just wants to see Weir)

I don't the remember the last time I got shut out of a show when I got on the TM site at 10am.

Guessing they will do a webcast.

Tried for single for one of the shows in Chicago and nothing -- crazy.

Maybe it is because Phil couldn't sell out the Riv either of the nights last month - but I didn't think it would be such a huge draw - definitely was wrong about that. (Or everybody really just wants to see Weir)

I don't the remember the last time I got shut out of a show when I got on the TM site at 10am.

Guessing they will do a webcast.

Well it IS the only time they will have ever done shows as just a duo. Quite possibly the last time, too. And it's only a few dates. Not surprised at all how high the demand is. I'm contemplating flying back east for the one RCMH show my brother procured.

Well it IS the only time they will have ever done shows as just a duo. Quite possibly the last time, too. And it's only a few dates. Not surprised at all how high the demand is. I'm contemplating flying back east for the one RCMH show my brother procured.

Yeah - like I said I was wrong. I haven't talk to anybody of my friends to see they grabbed tickets. 

Yeah, that is a good one. Here's a kinda freaky one. Part of the reason Healy was canned, I've read, for stuff like this:

https://archive.org/details/gd89-05-07.sbd.gardner.3329.sbefail.shnf/gd89-05-07d3t03.shn

But he was part of the crew until '93, right?

I'm trying to look up why he was fired, and answers range from burying Bob in the mix, to not making Sting loud enough, to being a junky...

But he was part of the crew until '93, right?

I'm trying to look up why he was fired, and answers range from burying Bob in the mix, to not making Sting loud enough, to being a junky...

Yep, '93.

^...to trade SBDs for the nose...

Heard  this too, and then al,owing patches to go straight the DAT. Came to a head in '93 Raleigh, supposedly.

Yep, '93.

Heard  this too, and then al,owing patches to go straight the DAT. Came to a head in '93 Raleigh, supposedly.

I remember getting the Raleigh 93 boards relatively quick. I listened to them quite a bit, because they sounded good. 

Nice Taper article on the 93 Raleigh shows

A Taper’s Section Night to Remember…Grateful Dead Play Chapel Hill 3/24/93
Rumors swept through that, not only would there be no patch that night, but also about Healy being in big trouble for giving us the last one. How people knew this I can’t say, but word was that bassist Phil Lesh was the most upset. Despite the proliferation of stellar audience tapes, one supposed that soundboards of whatever quality were more likely to be bootlegged by the unscrupulous and profit-minded in the underground music business. Otherwise, what difference could it truly make? Soundboards leaked with great frequency, oftentimes from Dick Latvala himself, the Dead’s tape archivist.

http://jambandsonline.com/a-taper’s-section-night-to-remember-grateful-dead-play-chapel-hill-32493/

71 shows for Dave's Pick 26.

"For Dave's Picks Vol. 26, we're heading back to the Fall of 1971, when Pigpen was home resting, and Keith was a month into his tenure with the Grateful Dead, for the complete show on 11/17/71 in Albuquerque. This was the Dead's first show in New Mexico, and they welcomed the welcoming New Mexican crowd with some of the best music they played in all of 1971. The 15-song first set is only outdone by the spectacular second set, featuring one of the most powerful and intense versions of "The Other One" you'll ever hear, as well as a "Not Fade Away" that rivals the one played two nights earlier on 11/15/71 in Austin. Add to this that CD 3 is rounded out with half of the 12/14/71 show in Ann Arbor (with Pigpen back on stage!), and the 2018 Dave's Picks Subscribers' Bonus Disc features the other half of 12/14/71, and you have a release featuring two of the best shows of the second half of 1971." - David Lemieux

Very casual GD fan here looking to dive into the pool of live recordings. Have sampled various shows from the 1970s through friends who are hardcore Deadheads. Give me your top 5 shows for a newbie to start with.

I am admittedly a "Brent" baby as I only saw one show with keith and donna so here goes from my perspective, certainly not an exhaustive list as it changes from day to day, but here's a good start  ;

3-9-81 MSG ( my all time favorite chinacat>rider)

9-26-81 Buffalo (seemless second set with a nice morning dew)

4-19-84 Philly (all time big rr blues)

11-29-80 Alligater Alley, FL (big time shakedown st)

10-11-83 MSG (return of St. Stephen, solid rockin' second set)

I'm sorry, but that is not a good place for a casual Dead fan to start. Personal preferences aside, the 80's were not the high point for the band. 

Go with the big ones from across their top years:

8/27/72 (Sunshine Daydream)

6/9/77 or 5/8/77 (Pretty much any show from Spring 77)

12/19/73 (Dick's Picks 1)

8/13/75 (One from the Vault)

8/24/68 (Two from the Vault)

5/19/74

I'm sorry, but that is not a good place for a casual Dead fan to start. Personal preferences aside, the 80's were not the high point for the band.

Go with the big ones from across their top years:

8/27/72 (Sunshine Daydream)

6/9/77 or 5/8/77 (Pretty much any show from Spring 77)

12/19/73 (Dick's Picks 1)

8/13/75 (One from the Vault)

8/24/68 (Two from the Vault)

5/19/74

Thank you!