The Dead never could pull off Doin' that Rag, was a clunker. Phil's Quintet did a great job with it though. China Cat was also a clunker in the early days, the band couldn't pull it off. I think they shelved it for a while. It didn't take off until they married it to Rider around 71, right? I do like the organ riff in China Cat from Aoxomoxoa though.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes!

Just appeared at the archive a small comp. of the great Chuck by gd;

https://archive.org/details/DeadPlayBerry/GD72-11-23D2t13.flac

1. Roll Over Beethoven (Doug Sahm & Friends [Garcia; Lesh; Kreutzmann] / 11-23-72)

2. The Promised Land (Grateful Dead/ 02-24-74) 

3. Let It Rock (JGB / 12-20-75)

4. Memphis, Tennessee (MMC UJC - 07/64) 

5. Johnny B. Goode (Grateful Dead/ 07-02-71)

6. Run Run Rudolph (Grateful Dead / 12-15-71)

7. Around And Around (Grateful Dead / 09-27-72)

8. Thirty Days (Grateful Dead / 12-12-73 [soundcheck])

9. You Never Can Tell (JGB / 11-06-91) 

10. School Days (Kingfish / 12-20-75)

11. Brown-Eyed Handsome Man (NRPS / 05-02-70)

12. Nadine (NRPS / 08-20-74) 

This is really nice. Was not at all aware of Thirty Days or You Never Can Tell, and I didn't realize Run Rudolph was a CB tune. Veddy interesting.

The Dead never could pull off Doin' that Rag, was a clunker. Phil's Quintet did a great job with it though. China Cat was also a clunker in the early days, the band couldn't pull it off. I think they shelved it for a while. It didn't take off until they married it to Rider around 71, right? I do like the organ riff in China Cat from Aoxomoxoa though.

Nope, it looks like they played it pretty frequently from '68 through '72, according to setlist.com. They shelved it from March to December of '68, though, if you count that. There were a few good early ones, I think. But I think you're right about it not taking off until they married it to Rider.

I really liked that version of Mountains of the Moon Phil did on the Other Ones '98 tour. 

China Cat came together when they added the key change/solo melody and of course the addition of Rider. Damn, hearing those first notes was AWESOME!

I actually liked the new guitar. It did have an acoustic sound that didn't bother me. I can see why Jerry liked it as it was lighter and it had a cleaner tone. He always seemed to be after the sound of an amp-less electric plugged in...if that makes any sense.

I never have been a huge fan of Truckin' besides the studio version.

I think Furthur did a pretty good job of Doin' that Rag.

I liked Jerry's Lightning Bolt tone. Not necessarily better or worse, but thought it was cool and distinct. Main issue was there really were no standout shows or playing from the era he was using it, so I think the jury will be out on it. But I do think it suited the ballads well, particularly the country twang of Visions which he started playing again with the guitar.

Speaking (to myself :innocent ) about Chuck Berry and GD, I happened to hear the other day Jerry Reed cover of "Wabash Cannonball" 

and thought this is a plagiarism of Promised Land, or vice versa! 

Surely it's commonplace for you Americans, but I just 'discovered' (Thanks Google!) that song and its variations have been recorded by everybody, from Roy Acuff to Cash to...According to some blog "the Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland compiled a list of 500 "songs that shaped rock and roll"; "Wabash Cannonball" is the oldest song on the list"

Speaking (to myself :innocent ) about Chuck Berry and GD, I happened to hear the other day Jerry Reed cover of "Wabash Cannonball" 

Surely it's commonplace for you Americans, but I just 'discovered' (Thanks Google!) that song and its variations have been recorded by everybody, from Roy Acuff to Cash to...According to some blog "the Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland compiled a list of 500 "songs that shaped rock and roll"; "Wabash Cannonball" is the oldest song on the list"

Definitely the same melody.

Funny that Chuck didn't feel the need to attribute a song-writing credit for that one, but threatened the Beach Boys over Surfin USA. They gave him songwriting credit before it went to court. 

In reading tributes to Chuck, was previously unaware of the influence country music had on him, particularly his lyrics. Hadn't listened to him much since I was a kid, but the influence is pretty obvious once you hear it. His first hit Maybelline was  a rewrite of a country tune called Ida Red, popularized by Bob Willis. Makes even more sense that he was a big influence on the GD.

A while back (August 31, 2016), jw harding posted the following:

I'm not a completist, don't need to hear every version of El Paso, etc. It's hard to find shortcuts to the Dead, so I love the various Grateful Dead related mixes you can find online. Here's a guy who really knows his stuff, and his tastes align with mine. He apparently had ongoing correspondence with Dick Latvala. Some really cool stuff here, and great commentary:

http://saveyourface.posthaven.com/

Well...I really liked the idea of this.  I looked through the stuff at saveyourface and liked what he was doing and the "edited" versions. So for the last 7 months I've been accumulating my own "edited" versions of my favorite shows / songs / etc from the Grateful Dead and the various Jerry side projects. I am going to try and post a new batch every week or so (we'll see). I'll use "drop-box".

By edited I mean I don't need to hear Lesh's harmony ever again on the 1972/3/4 I Know You Riders, but I do want to hear the soloing and finale jams. I also don’t need to hear the 6-20 minutes of “oooohhh, nothin’s gonna bring him back…” etc.  Likewise, Playin' In The Band's can be nicely cut down to 1 verse and, as such, miss the Donna wailing on the front and back ends. Also, certain jams were fantastic but inbetween the amazing moments were extended stretches of drift or tuning that is easily removed.

So through use of "audacity" I spliced out what I don't need or want to hear.

In addition, I frequently was frustrated with how extended jams (Truckin' > Dark Star > Comes A Time) (China Cat > Rider) (Scarlet > Fire) (etc) were split up into separate tracks.

My “edited” versions include them as one long track.

So, this is how I like it. Take it or leave it...Enjoy or not...Feedback would be great...

I guess this isn’t for the purists out there that want every note. I can respect that. This probably isn’t what you want as I’ve paired it down.

I’ve been listening closely to Garcia et al for over 20 years. This is the most satisfying manner for me to listen to this amazing music…

Here is batch one (each song is provided as separate mp3s) (about 90 minutes). There are era-appropriate photos attached with each mp3...You should be able to just drop in itunes and have a great mix (the artist, album, song name, and era-appropriate photograph are linked with each mp3).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ueelr6x7km5rl40/AADvNa3cgvFVjmDSJLEwXfqUa?dl=0

password rogerrafa

1971-10-31.gd.sbd.columbus Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia

1972-07-26.gd.sbd.seattle NFA > GDTRFB > NFA

1973-02-15.gd.matrix.madison China Cat > Rider

1973-02-22.gd.sbd.champaign_urbana Playing In The Band

1974-05-12.gd.sbd_+_matrix_reno Big River

1974-05-14.gd.sbd.missoula Scarlet > Musta Been The Roses

1974-05-19.gd.matrix.portland Peggy-O

1975-03-23.gd.sbd_san_francisco Johnny B. Goode

1976-08-04.gd.sbd.jersey_city New Minglewood Blues

1977-09-03.gd.mtx.englishtown Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo 

1979-04-28.garcia.aud.palo_alto Strugglin’ Man

1979-08-12.gd.sbd.red_rocks Estimated > Eyes

1989-01-28.garcia.sbd.san_francisco Waitin’ For A Miracle

1989-02-10.gd.sbd.los_angeles Let It Grow

1989-05-07.gd.sbd.palo_alto Bird Song

Saw Roy Acuff sing Wabash Cannonball several times when I was a kid. Great memories.

Found this today on si.com of all places. Thought it was lovely.

Yeah, she's really something. She's got a whole album of GD material, and is also a big Phish fan and covers them equally well.

Found this today on si.com of all places. Thought it was lovely.

Thanks for the link: she is always amazing/ mesmerizing. Hope to see her live some day soon.

I'd love to see a Holly Bowling show...

Listening to 21 May 1974 Playin' In the Band (the infamous 45 day version) after many years.  It is ok I guess...There are much better versions around that time...Maybe I need to hear it a few more times. It just sounds like jerry meandering with the band doing their own meandering --- little interesting interplay...

I'd love to see a Holly Bowling show...

I've seen a bunch of live streams popping up on fb groups I belong to, lately....Obviously different than being there, but not a bad option.

A while back (August 31, 2016), jw harding posted the following:

I'm not a completist, don't need to hear every version of El Paso, etc. It's hard to find shortcuts to the Dead, so I love the various Grateful Dead related mixes you can find online. Here's a guy who really knows his stuff, and his tastes align with mine. He apparently had ongoing correspondence with Dick Latvala. Some really cool stuff here, and great commentary:

http://saveyourface.posthaven.com/

Well...I really liked the idea of this.  I looked through the stuff at saveyourface and liked what he was doing and the "edited" versions. So for the last 7 months I've been accumulating my own "edited" versions of my favorite shows / songs / etc from the Grateful Dead and the various Jerry side projects. I am going to try and post a new batch every week or so (we'll see). I'll use "drop-box".

By edited I mean I don't need to hear Lesh's harmony ever again on the 1972/3/4 I Know You Riders, but I do want to hear the soloing and finale jams. I also don’t need to hear the 6-20 minutes of “oooohhh, nothin’s gonna bring him back…” etc.  Likewise, Playin' In The Band's can be nicely cut down to 1 verse and, as such, miss the Donna wailing on the front and back ends. Also, certain jams were fantastic but inbetween the amazing moments were extended stretches of drift or tuning that is easily removed.

So through use of "audacity" I spliced out what I don't need or want to hear.

In addition, I frequently was frustrated with how extended jams (Truckin' > Dark Star > Comes A Time) (China Cat > Rider) (Scarlet > Fire) (etc) were split up into separate tracks.

My “edited” versions include them as one long track.

So, this is how I like it. Take it or leave it...Enjoy or not...Feedback would be great...

I guess this isn’t for the purists out there that want every note. I can respect that. This probably isn’t what you want as I’ve paired it down.

I’ve been listening closely to Garcia et al for over 20 years. This is the most satisfying manner for me to listen to this amazing music…

Here is batch one (each song is provided as separate mp3s) (about 90 minutes). There are era-appropriate photos attached with each mp3...You should be able to just drop in itunes and have a great mix (the artist, album, song name, and era-appropriate photograph are linked with each mp3).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ueelr6x7km5rl40/AADvNa3cgvFVjmDSJLEwXfqUa?dl=0

password rogerrafa

1971-10-31.gd.sbd.columbus Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia

1972-07-26.gd.sbd.seattle NFA > GDTRFB > NFA

1973-02-15.gd.matrix.madison China Cat > Rider

1973-02-22.gd.sbd.champaign_urbana Playing In The Band

1974-05-12.gd.sbd_+_matrix_reno Big River

1974-05-14.gd.sbd.missoula Scarlet > Musta Been The Roses

1974-05-19.gd.matrix.portland Peggy-O

1975-03-23.gd.sbd_san_francisco Johnny B. Goode

1976-08-04.gd.sbd.jersey_city New Minglewood Blues

1977-09-03.gd.mtx.englishtown Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo 

1979-04-28.garcia.aud.palo_alto Strugglin’ Man

1979-08-12.gd.sbd.red_rocks Estimated > Eyes

1989-01-28.garcia.sbd.san_francisco Waitin’ For A Miracle

1989-02-10.gd.sbd.los_angeles Let It Grow

1989-05-07.gd.sbd.palo_alto Bird Song

this is great man! definitely post more if you do them. love the pics too. where did you get them?

My god, this new Garcia Live is fantastic! A great show from a great period, and it sounds awesome. I think this could be my favorite of all the Garcia releases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was at this show and was so looking forward to this release. Meh. To me it's a B- JGB show. He's not really in strong voice and the tempos are a bit plodding. Highlights are beautiful versions of Dixie Down, Shining Star, and Waiting on a Miracle. The Rubin is nice too. I wouldn't call it a must have and i think there were much hotter shows around this time including the night before in Rosemont.

I was at this show and was so looking forward to this release. Meh. To me it's a B- JGB show. He's not really in strong voice and the tempos are a bit plodding. Highlights are beautiful versions of Dixie Down, Shining Star, and Waiting on a Miracle. The Rubin is nice too. I wouldn't call it a must have and i think there were much hotter shows around this time including the night before in Rosemont.

Well, everyone has their own set of ears. I've listened to this several times and I'm loving it. Fall '91 was a great Garcia period (maybe the last?), and I find him to be in fine form, guitar and vocals, on this show. The Reuben and Cherise is pure gold-a total groove song from beginning to end. I've been recommending this to all my GD inclined friends.

It's a good one, for sure. I have never gotten around to collect much JGB stuff past 78, so I don't have much to compare it to. The double JGB cd release is my gold standard for the later stuff and this release is just a touch below it.

JGB_Cover-360x360.jpg

Nothing is better than that original JGB double CD, which was the intro for many people of my generation. The new one sounds good, tho I did think Rubin & Cherise sounded kinda slow. The Dead played it for the first time around 91 (great youtube of the performance out there), and I remember it being much faster, but I'm no expert on R&C from that era.

Nothing is better than that original JGB double CD, which was the intro for many people of my generation. The new one sounds good, tho I did think Rubin & Cherise sounded kinda slow. The Dead played it for the first time around 91 (great youtube of the performance out there), and I remember it being much faster, but I'm no expert on R&C from that era.

Yeah - the double JGB CD was my intro JGB - my parents bought it for me for Christmas when  it came out. I don't think I even had any JGB boots at the time, so it was all very new to me.

I remember thinking how different it sounded from the Dead.

Yeah, that JGB album, recorded spring of 1990, has always been a favorite. Love that version of Waiting for a Miracle.

The Keystone releases, especially the first, have always been my favorite Garcia project release. We were devouring Live at the Keystone in real time in our high school youth. Those kind of emotional evocative attachments don't break.

As to this current version of R&C, I also noticed right away that it's not as rockin as other versions. But then I got hit by the groove, they just lock in right at the beginning and play it with this funky groove, sounds great to me.  

The recent JRAD shows with Oteil on bass are really outta sight. Dave D from Ween usually is on bass, love him, but Oteil is one of my top bass players all time. These guys really have a deep understanding of the music, incredibly playful, energetic, amazing execution. Psychedelic and rocking, with teases coming at you so fast you can't catch em before they're gone. The jam on Lorde's Royals is really cool in the transition into BTW. Great stuff!

https://youtu.be/MdQMS3jCOuA

Jam-
Other One--
Dark Star--
St.Stephen--
Cinnamon & Lesbians-- [stephen Malkmus & the Jicks cover]
Eleven--
Shakedown St

Set 2

King Solomon's Marbles
Black Throated Wind--
Touch of Grey--