The Keystone releases, especially the first, have always been my favorite Garcia project release. We were devouring Live at the Keystone in real time in our high school youth. Those kind of emotional evocative attachments don't break.

That Keystone stuff is gold standard stuff for sure. All of it, but especially Like A Road. 

The Road Trips 1970 with Wales is the other one I never tire of.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Keystone stuff is gold standard stuff for sure. All of it, but especially Like A Road. 

The Road Trips 1970 with Wales is the other one I never tire of.

Very true on the Keystone stuff being a gold standard of the early era Jerry releases. Similarly, Fire Up+ was a bit cheesy in retrospect, but had some real high moments. Particularly the live recording of Lonely Avenue is one of the peak moments in Garcia's history, and I would speculate documents the beginning of his heroin use, for better, and later, worse. Chilling.

Well, everyone has their own set of ears. I've listened to this several times and I'm loving it. Fall '91 was a great Garcia period (maybe the last?), and I find him to be in fine form, guitar and vocals, on this show. The Reuben and Cherise is pure gold-a total groove song from beginning to end. I've been recommending this to all my GD inclined friends.

RE: Garcia Live Vol. 8, 11-23-91 Milwaukee  - I concur, wrp, The setlist is fantastic, like one I'd hope for in vain at so many JGB shows, especially set 1 (any JGB show without either How Sweet It Is or Harder They Come means Jerry is in an especially good mood and digging deep, ready to tackle his most difficult songs, not just trotting out the stuff he can do in his sleep).  Melvin and Jerry are way connected, Kahn and Kemper are so simpatico together and with the songs and the band, the ladies are in typical fine form, the recording is fucking stellar, which for me is crucial to hear the beautiful details, and more importantly, Jerry's vocals are so soulful, you can tell he was really feeling it, you can almost hear him smiling.

We listened to this at full volume last Sunday night, and like so many times with JGB in person, its as close to church as I will ever get.  What I would not give for one more night with the JGB.  I think I appreciate the musical spiritual gift he gave the world more and more when I listen to shows like this.

RE: Garcia Live Vol. 8, 11-23-91 Milwaukee  - I concur, wrp, The setlist is fantastic, like one I'd hope for in vain at so many JGB shows, especially set 1 (any JGB show without either How Sweet It Is or Harder They Come means Jerry is in an especially good mood and digging deep, ready to tackle his most difficult songs, not just trotting out the stuff he can do in his sleep).  Melvin and Jerry are way connected, Kahn and Kemper are so simpatico together and with the songs and the band, the ladies are in typical fine form, the recording is fucking stellar, which for me is crucial to hear the beautiful details, and more importantly, Jerry's vocals are so soulful, you can tell he was really feeling it, you can almost hear him smiling.

We listened to this at full volume last Sunday night, and like so many times with JGB in person, its as close to church as I will ever get.  What I would not give for one more night with the JGB.  I think I appreciate the musical spiritual gift he gave the world more and more when I listen to shows like this.

Garcia is so damn ALIVE on this. On a plane listening again.  Must be the 4th time I've listened since I got it. I could also mention how great the TLEO is, not the slow crawl of a song it could be. "Fucking stellar" is right about the recording. 

It's a good one, for sure. I have never gotten around to collect much JGB stuff past 78, so I don't have much to compare it to. The double JGB cd release is my gold standard for the later stuff and this release is just a touch below it.

JGB_Cover-360x360.jpg

To complete the gold standard, add in several tracks from How Sweet It Is (I believe from the same shows as the double live 1990 album), especially the Tears of Rage!!!!

HowSweetItIs_Cover.jpg

2017_03_28_Edited__Garcia__et__al__Batch_02

1966-09-16.gd.vinyl_sbd_san_francisco In The Midnight Hour

1971-09-24.jgms.sbd.san_anselmo Biloxi

1972-03-21.gd.sbd.nyc Greatest Story Ever Told

1972-08-22.gd.sbd.berkeley Truckin’ > The Other One > Stella Blue

1974-02-24.gd.matrix.san_francisco Promised Land

1974-05-17.gd.sbd.vancouver Sugar Magnolia

1979-04-13.recon.sbd_denver Mohican and the Great Spirit

1979-08-13.gd.matrix.denver Althea > Lost Sailor > Deal

1979-08-14.gd.sbd.denver Terrapin > Playin’ In The Band

1982-10-10.gd.mtx.palo_alto China Cat > Rider

1983-03-31.gd.mtx.warfield Little Red Rooster

1989-06-19.gd.sbd.shoreline Feel Like a Stranger

The 1972-08-22 Truckin’ > Other One > Stella features a short but well done Truckin’ jam that folds into one of the finest Other Ones I’ve heard. The soloing from Jerry is deep and nearly liquid sounding at times. Following verse one is an extended and monstrous Lesh solo. The counter play between purely psychotic jamming and frenetic sprinting is a treat to hear. The band is really firing on all cylinders here – this isn’t simply a great jerry or phil version, but truly is a masterpiece from the whole band. The stella that follows is very nascent compared to later versions (e.g., “…can’t keep from cryin’…”), but is nonetheless very impressive. I especially like the final jerry scream of “stella blue” before a nearly tear invoking finale solo.

Feel Like a Stranger from 1989-06-19 features a nicely crafted jam that peaks well. The Strangers from 1989 were a great launching point for the band and on many instances was a harbinger of whether the show would be 1989 average or 1989 exceptional. This version indicated 1989 exceptional. The 1989-02-10 version was another harbinger of 1989 exceptional.

Greatest Story from 1972-03-21 was, like the Stella from 1972-08-22, nascent in form. The band’s rhythm wasn’t quite in sync, but I really like this version for the raw Jerry solo. The band would mold around Jerry’s lead during the ensuing years.

I’ve listened to what is out there for 1965 and 1966. It is interesting but mainly not really exceptional in my opinion. Good stuff, but nothing dramatically impressive. The 1966-09-16 Midnight Hour is an exception. Jerry cooks throughout this 5 minute solo. Again, a window into what the band would become. It is interesting to hear Pig jump in here and there and how advanced Jerry molded his solo based upon either having to work with Pig or work alone.

Promised Land generally can be a throw-away tune (e.g., like Sugaree from 1971, 2, 3 and 4). It basically was a warm-up tune which generally was neither exceptional nor poor. The 1974-02-24 version belies this argument. Indeed, the Keith solo is really well done with Weir’s and Jerry’s rhythm interplaying beautifully. The finale from Jerry scorches as well. Very tight.

This batches’ China Rider time-machine lands in Palo Alto 1982, 1982-10-10 to be precise. This is a very clear example of laid-back but driving (e.g., oxymoron?) jamming from the band. The transition bridging China and Rider features Jerry cooking but also features several chunky Lesh bombs and an almost jazzy Mydland sound. It apexes really well. The following Rider fails to not impress.

I’ve always really liked the triplet of Althea Lost Sailor Deal from 1979-08-13. This was an amazing show with lots of highlights. This triplet often gets missed in most reviews. The Althea and Lost Sailor features delicate but well done Jerry solos. Not the most intense, but really well done. The Deal smokes.

Not wandering very far, the next night featured an impressive Terrapin Station > Playin In the Band. The best Terrapins, in my opinion, get deep or lost during the in-song space prior to “Since the end is never told…” This version indeed does get a bit lost, and the transition back to the song is pretty well done. The ending of Terrapin is well done. The following PITB is great. In many respects the Keith Brent swap is most vividly apparent in PITB. The 1978 PITB generally didn’t wander or explore and was short. The 1979 PITB, quite the contrary, wandered and explored. Indeed, Jerry really pushed this version out there with a masterful combination of both psychedelic sprinting and overall weirdness. Brent added a lot to this band, and his effect was immediately apparent with Jerry’s improvisation. The band went from mainly a song based band in 1978 to an improvisation band in 1979.

The Clementine New Potato from 1968-02-21 displays two of the band’s 1968 assets – free flowing jamming and structured jamming. The Clementine meanders beautifully with careful and delicate improvisation from Jerry. There is nothing dramatically impressive here from a skilled perspective, but its simplicity is its beauty. The following New Potato shows the bands ability to each hit their spots in a relatively complicated jam. I’ve always really liked the finale structured jam during New Potato. It kind of mixes frenetic despair with an arrogant swagger – if that is possible. This version is impressive among the many from this era.

1983 was a mixed bag with the inevitable decline in Jerry’s health and very related Persian addiction. A lot of 1983 shows reflected these problems across the board. A lot 1983 shows had a few great moments. 1983-03-31 was mainly rough, but it did have a few exceptional moments. The Little Red Rooster is an example. Standing out from an at best average first set, Jerry woke up and delivered a sinister reading.

Jesse Winchester’s Biloxi was the perfect tune for Jerry. He could delicately sing the tune in his near falsetto voice but also deliver his ascending solos that rendered the ballad with passion. The 1971-09-24 version matches this description. It also represents an early show billed as Garcia Saunders.

As with many aspects of life the purely exceptional is often paired with an equally repressive counterpart (e.g., my intelligence and my looks). So the Grateful Dead was faced such a cruel twist of fate in 1974. Indeed, many many different jams and songs were marked with sheer beauty but also a cacaphonic presence – Donna. I hate to Donna bash. I really do. I used to describe her as a psychedelic gnat – annoying but interesting. As I’ve gotten older, though, I just find it hard to suffer her singing. Thus, this brings us to the 1974-05-17 Sugar Magnolia. This a fun version having an impressive Jerry lead during SSDD instrumental. Jerry and the band are equally impressive during the SSDD vocals, but Donna’s wailing render it unlistenable. To render it a joy to hear, I spliced the very ending of the SSDD vocals to the end of the SSDD instrumental. I think it works.

Finally, I added a beautiful Jerry solo taken from the Reconstruction show on 1979-04-13 during the version of Mohican and the Great Spirit. Enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ueelr6x7km5rl40/AADvNa3cgvFVjmDSJLEwXfqUa?dl=0

password rogerrafa

Been working my way through a couple early '73 shows in an effort to listen to all the top-rated versions of Here Comes Sunshine, one my favorite Dead "deep tracks." I managed to re-listen to all of the 2/9/73 Roscoe Maples Pavilion show where they debuted it (plus a whole lotta other tunes), but by the time I got into the 2nd set of the 2/15 Dane County Coliseum show, I started to experience listener fatigue.

Tell you what though: those early '73 versions of Playing in the Band kick some major butt. They're not under the 10-minute mark like the earliest versions, but they're also not at the (to me) bloated level of some later versions.

Once I get a nice palate cleanser - Paul McCartney that same year at the Borehamwood Studio, and the Stones in Bearsville Studio rehearsing for the Some Girls tour - it's back to '73 Dead. That 2/17 show has a Here Comes Sunshine > China > Rider. Have any of you fanatics heard that one? Sounds like a cool combo for sure.

Been working my way through a couple early '73 shows in an effort to listen to all the top-rated versions of Here Comes Sunshine, one my favorite Dead "deep tracks." I managed to re-listen to all of the 2/9/73 Roscoe Maples Pavilion show where they debuted it (plus a whole lotta other tunes), but by the time I got into the 2nd set of the 2/15 Dane County Coliseum show, I started to experience listener fatigue.

Tell you what though: those early '73 versions of Playing in the Band kick some major butt. They're not under the 10-minute mark like the earliest versions, but they're also not at the (to me) bloated level of some later versions.

Once I get a nice palate cleanser - Paul McCartney that same year at the Borehamwood Studio, and the Stones in Bearsville Studio rehearsing for the Some Girls tour - it's back to '73 Dead. That 2/17 show has a Here Comes Sunshine > China > Rider. Have any of you fanatics heard that one? Sounds like a cool combo for sure.

That St. Paul 2-17-73 HCS is probably my favorite version of them all. The movement into China Cat is one of the best pure seamless transition jams. I remember bringing this to a friend's birthday party about 20 years ago (all Deadheads in attendance) and heads were snapping right and left when this played. 

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-02-17.sbd.ashley-field.32875.sbeok.flac16

That St. Paul 2-17-73 HCS is probably my favorite version of them all. The movement into China Cat is one of the best pure seamless transition jams. I remember bringing this to a friend's birthday party about 20 years ago (all Deadheads in attendance) and heads were snapping right and left when this played. 

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-02-17.sbd.ashley-field.32875.sbeok.flac16

Looks like I've had a copy since 2014, but I haven't necessarily heard it! I had to reload all my stuff from an external hard drive after a system crash, so I literally do not know what I have heard in some cases (774 items in the Dead folder alone). It's quite possible I'll be hearing this for the first time.

I don't see this as a good thing, really: 

As previously reported, Amazon is teaming up with Bob Weir for a biography series focused on the career of the Grateful Dead, and the project now has a writer in Jonathan Herman, who recently gained fame for his Oscar-nominated script for the N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton, Deadline Hollywood reports (via JamBase).

The new series, which has yet to be titled, will focus on the 2003 book by longtime Dead roadie Steve Parish, Home Before Daylight: My Life on the Road with the Grateful Dead. Weir will act as executive producer on the project, along with overseeing all the series’ music. Grateful Dead manager Bernie Cahill and his talent company ROAR will also executive produce.

The news comes as Amazon plans to release their anticipated Amir Bar-Lev-directed and Martin Scorcese-produced Grateful Dead documentary, Long Strange Trip, on May 26. The streaming service is also working on a Bob Dylan bio series, Time Out of Mind.

I am not a fan of such things to begin with. What do you think? They are going to show fat-ass Jerry sitting around in his smelly clothes smoking heroin. That book is mostly about the shit Steve got into throughout his life. It's junk. 

Think it was Weir that f'd up. They had to restart Truckin, too.

Guessing, Garcia stopped it because it was a TV taping.

They had stopped tunes and restarted them during actual concerts, too  - of course, I forget any examples.

Wish they would release this. It did sound great in the theaters.