Disgusting new ticketmaster trend!

So not sure how many of you are familiar with ticketmasters dynamic pricing but I noticed a new trend and it is super revolting. I am buying tickets for Depeche Mode at Madison Square Garden. I go to a lot of shows so usually my objective is to get in as cheap as possible. They have about 10 different presales for the event which is frustrating. Ticket prices were advertised for the first presale as having prices of $55/75/95/119/159. I was unable to get the $55 seats in the first presale so I waited. The next day I tried for the second presale and the prices jumped to $75/95/119/139/179! I wasn't able to get tickets on this presale either and I even tried for the $75. Now that the presale is done and the general onsale is Friday the prices adjusted again now they are $99/119/139/159/199!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! So the dynamic pricing works that if a show is a hot ticket the prices adjust upwards. Well so a presale which offers 1,000-2,000 tickets sells well and it drives the price up before the public even gets the first bite of the apple! WHAT A DISGUSTING TREND! F TICKERMASTER.

I agree ticketmaster is not good but know that it is the artist that makes these decisions on this and in fact the "ticketmaster fee" is also shared with the artists/promoter.  Live Nation/Ticketmaster controls it.

The artist can do it however they want.  Look at Springsteen/the Stones.  Bruce has like 2 prices and $125 is top.....stones $300/$500 min lower level.

Depeche Mode did something for a presale that I hadn't seen before: sign up early & get a place in "line" and increase your spot in "line" when you preorder their new record. I jumped from 3,045 to 305 after I made that purchase and was given a specific presale time of Monday 12:30pm. I spent $99 for a seat at Mohegan Sun. I won't get into DM skipping Boston on almost every tour in the last dozen years....

^yeah the stinks too..another thing I noticed is They are charging $10 more for the Saturday show than the Monday! Also, Winston to your point I understand it is expensive however the prices shouldn't jump 100% before the general public had a chance. If these were the tickets right of the bat I would have been less ticked then this. I also was number 450 for the MSG presale and got nothing even after buying their overpriced cd!

Well, there's a point, which I'm sure you're close to, where this practice of separating you from your money is beyond what you would consider a reasonable return, right?

Right now this practice is viable, because there are consumers like you who are still willing to part with their money to get a ticket. When that stops, ticket prices will go down.

Some people think it's ridiculous that tickets for Hamilton are $750+, and they get all huffy about it. Well... tickets to Hamilton are $750+ because there are more than enough consumers who are willing to pay it.

^My limit is $125...I stick with it unless it is something spectacularly special. Unfortunately with NYC there is more demand and money so prices keep on getting out of reach. I now sometimes go to Philadelphia for shows because it is cheaper and less hassle. I understand what you are saying but it is hard for me to miss a show I really want to see.

I quit going to big money shows over 15 years ago due to outrage over ticket price, fees and the (usually) disrespectful crowds. The whole thing turned into a feeling of being ripped off. It killed me a few years ago when NY was touring with Crazy Horse, charging $80+ a ticket (which I could've afforded) but principal wouldn't allow me. One way to find some solace is that there are usually recordings available online to listen to thus avoiding the outrageous ticket price, stupid people who paid a premium price and talk thru the concert and that ripped off feeling.

I quit going to big money shows over 15 years ago due to outrage over ticket price, fees and the (usually) disrespectful crowds. The whole thing turned into a feeling of being ripped off. It killed me a few years ago when NY was touring with Crazy Horse, charging $80+ a ticket (which I could've afforded) but principal wouldn't allow me. One way to find some solace is that there are usually recordings available online to listen to thus avoiding the outrageous ticket price, stupid people who paid a premium price and talk thru the concert and that ripped off feeling.

I'm getting to that point

It sucks because all thru the 80s and most of the 90s I was a regular concert goer (my damaged hearing is proof, thanks Iron Maiden!). I feel bad for my kids who most likely wont enjoy the same sort of music experience.

It sucks because all thru the 80s and most of the 90s I was a regular concert goer (my damaged hearing is proof, thanks Iron Maiden!). I feel bad for my kids who most likely wont enjoy the same sort of music experience.

True think how long a teenage would have to work to afford a concert especially considering the service charges!

I've reached the end of the line point myself. You don't know how sad that makes me. I was a huge concert goer for over 30 years. But the prices are insane now. I started wincing when I had to decide if I wanted to spend $50 for a ticket, and that price is on the low end these days. I just can't afford it any more.

It will have to be something truly special for me to fork out big bucks for a concert these days.

NO ONE was a bigger music fan than I was over 30+ years. The live music industry has lost me.

I've reached the end of the line point myself. You don't know how sad that makes me. I was a huge concert goer for over 30 years. But the prices are insane now. I started wincing when I had to decide if I wanted to spend $50 for a ticket, and that price is on the low end these days. I just can't afford it any more.

It will have to be something truly special for me to fork out big bucks for a concert these days.

NO ONE was a bigger music fan than I was over 30+ years. The live music industry has lost me.

:( guess music is only for the priveledged and rich at least more so in the NYC area

Understand your frustration. What bothers me about ticketmaster are the very high service charges. Artists seem to control actual ticket price and many many bands got tired of selling a $50 ticket only to have it sold for $100 or $300 etc on the secondary market. This has become more of an issue with the ease for anyone to be a "scalper" on stubhub and other similar marketplaces AND given shift in music industry where most artists only make money from touring (ticket sales/merch and not record sales. That has made artists focus more on how much they get from ultimate price of ticket by time it is used. What also bothers me are artists like Clapton who charge a fortune like for 3/20 at Madison Square Garden.The guy must be rich beyond need and he is pricing my son and his generation out of chance to see one of the legends. Clapton's attitude, which is his right, i assume is these are face value prices the market will support and hey it's a market driven business and no one makes you go. I bought a single ticket from ticketmsster and it was over $300 with service charges. I figure one more time to see him and then i wont ever again. Springsteen used to sell lower priced tickets for behind the stage and in the rafters, but he cut down the number of ticket pricing levels. But when he plays i go no matter what and last tour with fees was about $175. Some artists, Green Day one of many exmples as is our beloved Wilco, keep prices lretty low which means more fans can afford to go but also means more buyers can make more money on stubhub selling if the market establishes a higher price. I prefer that approach, but not all artists due because of dollars going to others.

All that said, instead of blowing off seeing shows i would see more up and coming or lesser known but good bands before they get too big as there are so many. I dont think I paid $30 to see in NYC Kaleo, Shovels and Rope, Maren Morris, Houndmouth and Jackie Greene or JRAD by way of exanples and so many more for $50-100 range. Thankfully Wilco is still very reasonably priced and to me always a well spent dollar.

Understand your frustration. What bothers me about ticketmaster are the very high service charges. Artists seem to control actual ticket price and many many bands got tired of selling a $50 ticket only to have it sold for $100 or $300 etc on the secondary market. This has become more of an issue with the ease for anyone to be a "scalper" on stubhub and other similar marketplaces AND given shift in music industry where most artists only make money from touring (ticket sales/merch and not record sales. That has made artists focus more on how much they get from ultimate price of ticket by time it is used. What also bothers me are artists like Clapton who charge a fortune like for 3/20 at Madison Square Garden.The guy must be rich beyond need and he is pricing my son and his generation out of chance to see one of the legends. Clapton's attitude, which is his right, i assume is these are face value prices the market will support and hey it's a market driven business and no one makes you go. I bought a single ticket from ticketmsster and it was over $300 with service charges. I figure one more time to see him and then i wont ever again. Springsteen used to sell lower priced tickets for behind the stage and in the rafters, but he cut down the number of ticket pricing levels. But when he plays i go no matter what and last tour with fees was about $175. Some artists, Green Day one of many exmples as is our beloved Wilco, keep prices lretty low which means more fans can afford to go but also means more buyers can make more money on stubhub selling if the market establishes a higher price. I prefer that approach, but not all artists due because of dollars going to others.

All that said, instead of blowing off seeing shows i would see more up and coming or lesser known but good bands before they get too big as there are so many. I dont think I paid $30 to see in NYC Kaleo, Shovels and Rope, Maren Morris, Houndmouth and Jackie Greene or JRAD by way of exanples and so many more for $50-100 range. Thankfully Wilco is still very reasonably priced and to me always a well spent dollar.

Clapton is bonkers so with dynamic pricing it also works in reverse. If you go on Ticketmaster now for his March shows they have the pick on map option. They LOWERED tickets in many upper deck sections because they are not selling well because it's too expensive. If the section you paid $300 for was lowered I'd call Ticketmaster and ask for a refund in the difference in price ( I was successful doing this once before) in addition they added a section behind the stage which is only $190 a ticket. I'm seeing him Monday the 20th I was able to snag 1 $95 seat but I am literary the last seat in the whole building!

As far as seeing smaller bands I'd say 90% of the shows I see are in the 4000 or less capacity places. Most of the tickets I buy are $40. Or less

^^Wilco passed my $ threshhold long ago. I think I last saw them at the Hide-Out festival, no wait, it was at Pitchfork just a couple summers ago. 

I saw U2 at the United Center (Chicago) a couple summers ago, but those GA floor prices weren't outrageous ($75). 

Los Lobos is the only long-running band I'm still interested in, and they don't play arenas.

I have way more fun at smaller places anyways. 

^True but what about bands you liked for decades? If Wilco moved onto arenas would you give up on them? Some bands still are reasonable in arenas..I have seen many arena shows in the $40-60 range.

granted i'm not a typical show goer as for the most part i never pay for tickets, but i've definitely got friends who don't bother seeing bands when tickets go past the ~$40 range.

the last band i really splurged for was Sabbath, and that was worth every red cent. and there were lots of them given.

btw. i like that Neil Young still does GA when playing arenas, and those are also the cheapest tickets.

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I found this a fascinating snap-shot at the current ticket situation/dilemma:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/the-man-who-broke-ticketmaster

It also answers the question about why I've found myself striking out so often lately on tickets.

A couple of interesting takeaways from this article go to points made in this thread: 1) Scalpers specifically target the artists that set the lowest prices (or rather have the largest difference between face-value and market-value). 2) There's another critical (conspiracy-type) question about whether artists (or even Ticketmaster itself) bypass the primary market altogether, holding back tickets and selling directly to resellers (and thereby avoiding back-lash), that goes largely un-commented upon. When you have the primary and secondary markets running through the very same site, this becomes very dicey. 3) No one really has the answer here.