Wilco- March 18, 2017 Beacon Theater, NYC [ Night 1 of 4]

Thanks for the setlist, remphish1, and for the other write-ups and recordings, everyone! A few notes and thoughts to add to what others have said:

My wife and I were in the 6th row on Nels's side. As other has noted, Wilco's guitar wizard cast a particularly powerful magic last night. Because Nels always seems to emanate a kind of brilliant light in both music and spirit, I've sometimes had a hard time determining what makes a given performance especially transcendent. (As Jeff said at one NYC show: "he walks among us.") But I imagine this run of shows, being a homecoming for Nels, and a Beacon homecoming at that, is something special for him. His solos were otherworldly, and he was especially buoyant and bouncy throughout the show. Also, somehow he doesn't seem to break a sweat. How is that possible? The ovation after Impossible Germany was the longest I can remember. John had that kind of proud smile that suggests the solo was a standout for the band, too. The applause went on for such a long time that Jeff had to abandon his first couple attempts at stepping back to the mic. His "I think we're gonna be all right," comment was a nice return to the subtle (up to that point) political commentary and a sly reference to the cathartic power of the face melting solo.

Politics hovered over the show -- not only on Jeff's We're all in this together" shirt, which he wore but didn't explain. One of Jeff's first banter moments was to ask the crowd "How you doing so far? You hanging in there?" which I think many took as a standard show check-in but seemed like more of a post-election general wellness check. When he launched into the "save pessimism for better times" commentary knotgreen mentioned, and which I know from Bböp's reports that he's done at other shows, Jeff said something like: "The French say that. We've been to France, they really do say that. I can't say it in French though." As worldrecordplayer said, Jeff also invoked his father's advice. "I'll tell you what my 83-year-old father told me: Don't let that monster make you f*cking sick." The f-bomb stood out to me because they're relatively rare from Jeff these days, and it really brought the point home. This is no time for pessimism, and it's not time to mince words, either. Maybe someone should put Jeff's dad's advice on a shirt, too. Hardly missing a beat, Jeff followed up the advice anecdote with a wry "Here's a song from our first record," before the band launched into a blistering Box Full of Letters.

Elsewhere in Banter Corner:

When the band came out for the first encore, Jeff noted that "A moment of silence doesn't seem appropriate for Chuck Berry. How about a moment of jubilation? We wouldn't be here, none of us (indicating the band AND the crowd) would be here without Chuck Berry." Which led to much cheers and the quick, careful attempt at a duck walk that Sandy mentioned. The news of Berry's death broke relatively close to the show, but I wonder if we might see a cover during the Beacon run. Wishful thinking, maybe, but one can dream.

There was a guy in our row with crutches, which he raised a couple times in salute to the band. When Jeff acknowledged him, it prompted a second fan in the same section to raise his or her crutches, too. Multiple crutch salutes! When the guys came out for the second encore, Jeff summed it up this way: "You know it's a good night when there are crutches aloft."

As far as I know, I think this is the first Beacon appearance by this lineup. Wilco does a good job of changing up their NYC venues, and the Beacon is an obvious place for them in terms of size, sound quality, history and atmosphere. The crowd gave them a warm and enthusiastic welcome. After a standing reception for the Ashes opener, everyone sat back down, and stayed seated for a several of the Schmilco songs, which had me a bit worried about the crowd energy and the band's perception of it. (At last year's Kings Theatre shows, most everyone I could see stood from start to finish). But the orchestra crowd stood up again for IATTBYH and was mostly up from then on. I glanced back at the loge and balcony several times (we have loge seats for Wednesday's show) and saw that most everyone was sitting for the majority of the show except for the back couple rows of the loge and a couple of dancin' rebels in the first row of the balcony. Throughout the theater and throughout the night, the joyful noise of applause and cheering was at a constant and loud pitch. I also thought we did a decent job of the Spiders sing-a-long. Not Chile level; "They sing pretty loud in Chile," Jeff goaded. But not too shabby.

As we were leaving, I heard one guy remark flatly that he "didn't realize they were a jam band," which I thought would amuse some of VCers. We're sitting out tonight's show but will be back on Tuesday and Wednesday. What a gift of a run ahead of Solid Sound.

Thanks for the setlist, remphish1, and for the other write-ups and recordings, everyone! A few notes and thoughts to add to what others have said:

My wife and I were in the 6th row on Nels's side. As other has noted, Wilco's guitar wizard cast a particularly powerful magic last night. Because Nels always seems to emanate a kind of brilliant light in both music and spirit, I've sometimes had a hard time determining what makes a given performance especially transcendent. (As Jeff said at one NYC show: "he walks among us.") But I imagine this run of shows, being a homecoming for Nels, and a Beacon homecoming at that, is something special for him. His solos were otherworldly, and he was especially buoyant and bouncy throughout the show. Also, somehow he doesn't seem to break a sweat. How is that possible? The ovation after Impossible Germany was the longest I can remember. John had that kind of proud smile that suggests the solo was a standout for the band, too. The applause went on for such a long time that Jeff had to abandon his first couple attempts at stepping back to the mic. His "I think we're gonna be all right," comment was a nice return to the subtle (up to that point) political commentary and a sly reference to the cathartic power of the face melting solo.

Politics hovered over the show -- not only on Jeff's We're all in this together" shirt, which he wore but didn't explain. One of Jeff's first banter moments was to ask the crowd "How you doing so far? You hanging in there?" which I think many took as a standard show check-in but seemed like more of a post-election general wellness check. When he launched into the "save pessimism for better times" commentary knotgreen mentioned, and which I know from Bböp's reports that he's done at other shows, Jeff said something like: "The French say that. We've been to France, they really do say that. I can't say it in French though." As worldrecordplayer said, Jeff also invoked his father's advice. "I'll tell you what my 83-year-old father told me: Don't let that monster make you f*cking sick." The f-bomb stood out to me because they're relatively rare from Jeff these days, and it really brought the point home. This is no time for pessimism, and it's not time to mince words, either. Maybe someone should put Jeff's dad's advice on a shirt, too. Hardly missing a beat, Jeff followed up the advice anecdote with a wry "Here's a song from our first record," before the band launched into a blistering Box Full of Letters.

When the band came out for the first encore, Jeff noted that "A moment of silence doesn't seem appropriate for Chuck Berry. How about a moment of jubilation? We wouldn't be here, none of us (indicating the band AND the crowd) would be here without Chuck Berry." Which led to much cheers and the quick, careful attempt at a duck walk that Sandy mentioned. The news of Berry's death broke relatively close to the show, but I wonder if we might see a cover during the Beacon run. Wishful thinking, maybe, but one can dream.

There was a guy in our row with crutches, which he raised a couple times in salute to the band. When Jeff acknowledged him, it prompted a second fan in the same section to raise his or her crutches, too. Multiple crutch salutes! When the guys came out for the second encore, Jeff summed it up this way: "You know it's a good night when there are crutches aloft."

As far as I know, I think this is the first Beacon appearance by this lineup. Wilco does a good job of changing up their NYC venues, and the Beacon is an obvious place for them in terms of size, sound quality, history and atmosphere. The crowd gave them a warm and enthusiastic welcome. After a standing reception for the Ashes opener, everyone sat back down, and stayed seated for a several of the Schmilco songs, which had me a bit worried about the crowd energy and the band's perception of it. (At last year's Kings Theatre shows, most everyone I could see stood from start to finish). But the orchestra crowd stood up again for IATTBYH and was mostly up from then on. I glanced back at the loge and balcony several times (we have loge seats for Wednesday's show) and saw that most everyone was sitting for the majority of the show except for the back couple rows of the loge and a couple of dancin' rebels in the first row of the balcony. Throughout the theater and throughout the night, the joyful noise of applause and cheering was at a constant and loud pitch. I also thought we did a decent job of the Spiders sing-a-long. Not Chile level; "They sing pretty loud in Chile," Jeff goaded. But not too shabby.

As we were leaving, I heard one guy remark flatly that he "didn't realize they were a jam band," which I thought would amuse some of VCers. We're sitting out tonight's show but will be back on Tuesday and Wednesday. What a gift of a run ahead of Solid Sound.

That's pretty much perfectly stated from my perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent write up! Thanks for filling in all of these details and perfectly describing, what for me were, the highlights of the show.

Thanks, tapers. How are you getting your gear through the door? I've heard it's not allowed and one security guy at the door told me no recording equipment allowed. Just wondering what the magic words are if I should try.

Thanks, tapers. How are you getting your gear through the door? I've heard it's not allowed and one security guy at the door told me no recording equipment allowed. Just wondering what the magic words are if I should try.

No magic words necessary. I had no issues whatsoever at the door. Moreso inside when every usher that walked past said "I don't think you're supposed to do that". If you're trying to tape a band like wilco and get hassled at the door, be persistent. Tell them the band allows it and notifies the venue and that anybody on their crew will be able to confirm

was it one of these? maybe you couldn't see the small print?

donaldchunkletlead.jpg

I wasn't there, but that's the one (except the navy blue or black version) he's worn since the Chicago Winterlude shows last month. A Chunklet special. Henry Owings and Susan Miller Tweedy are old friends, I'm pretty sure.

And here's a link to some back story on the shirt (with appropriate Wilco content included)...

https://www.chunklet.com/were-all-in-this-together-except-you-youre-a-dick-t-shirts-back-in-print/

I wasn't there, but that's the one (except the navy blue or black version) he's worn since the Chicago Winterlude shows last month. A Chunklet special. Henry Owings and Susan Miller Tweedy are old friends, I'm pretty sure.

And here's a link to some back story on the shirt (with appropriate Wilco content included)...

https://www.chunklet.com/were-all-in-this-together-except-you-youre-a-dick-t-shirts-back-in-print/

He wore the black version both Beacon nights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few more stray thoughts from the night:

The whole band seemed in great spirits. We were farthest from Pat, but he seemed especially aware and appreciative of the crowd's energy. No windmills, but he did the wind up move a few times. He's rocking a full beard now, which reminded me a bit of a younger man's version of Bob Weir's beard. Pat's a lot younger than Weir, but through their respective careers they've shared a kind of enduring boyishness, so it seems a halfway decent comparison. Or maybe I just like saying "Bob Weir's beard." Maybe there's a future Wilco b-side in the phrase, a nod to their previous song about another famous Bob and his beard.

The sing along portion of Jesus, Etc... really filled the theater. (Jeff did his standard invitation for the audience to chime in.) As Jeff has acknowledged in past shows, that song has a special connection to, and resonance in, New York. I always love hearing it here.

When Jeff did his "You hanging in there so far?" check in, a guy yelled out "keep your hands down," probably in reference to enthusiastic fans, or maybe people overdoing it with the cell phone videos. Jeff retorted that "I don't think you can ask people to keep their hands down at a rock show," which prompted a big cheer and many raised hands. Maybe a couple raised crutches, too.

Once again, Matrix wasn't working as Jeff's guitar tech. (Bböp noted this in his write-up about a recent show. Toronto, maybe?) I hope all is well with him. Anyone know the reason for his absence?

Once again, Matrix wasn't working as Jeff's guitar tech. (Bböp noted this in his write-up about a recent show. Toronto, maybe?) I hope all is well with him. Anyone know the reason for his absence?

This kind of stuff is from the "Knowing way too much about the band" dept., but I'm glad that at least some people are interested. From what I heard re: Matrix, it has to do with visa problems. Always an issue with foreign bands/crew this time of year, and probably with the Trump idiocy compounding matters. Hopefully things get sorted for him soon...

And thanks to all for providing detailed and timely reports in my absence! Your work is appreciated. B)

This kind of stuff is from the "Knowing way too much about the band" dept., but I'm glad that at least some people are interested. From what I heard re: Matrix, it has to do with visa problems. Always an issue with foreign bands/crew this time of year, and probably with the Trump idiocy compounding matters. Hopefully things get sorted for him soon...

Thanks for the intel, Bböp. I hope his visa issues get resolved soon.

On another note, it occurred to me that, unless I'm mistaken, these shows are the band's first full concerts in Manhattan since Terminal 5 in 2012. The NYC area has been graced with a bounty of Wilco appearances during the past few years, more than I could've hoped or expected. But it's still a bit surprising that it's been nearly 5 years since they've ventured into the deep chrome canyons. The Beacon really is an ideal home for them, the one drawback perhaps being that the theater setting encourages sitting more than primarily GA venues.

Had a great time tonight. Taping in that room is a bit of a hassle, but it came out well. Impossible Germany was particularly moving tonight.

Here's my tape: http://viachicago.org/topic/52324-wilco-20170318-beacon-theater-night-1/

Thank you for the recording. Excellent quality! I've listened to it twice already.

thanks for the recording opsopcopolis.  nice job, sounds great.  I had to give a eulogy for a too soon departed friend yesterday and it was a really nice to have the show to listen to on my drive.

and my favorite quote from jeff was via his 83 year old father:  "Don't let that monster make you fuckin' sick."

see you all in North Adams

• 2 weeks later...