• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today the White Sox may have already peaked for the  year with  a 11-2 win over the Tigers. Shields pitched great to boot.

Also, nice to hear that Sale had a great opening start.

Also, nice to hear that Sale had a great opening start.

Heck yeah!

7 shut out innings. The guy was pumped and the crowd seemingly even more pumped. Quite the home debut and welcome.

He may be little happy being out of Chicago...

I don't think he really cared for the White Sox front office towards the end...

The vast majority of the Chicago sport writers have him winning the Cy Young this year.

^^^ The feeling was likely mutual.  Sale is a wonderful pitcher, but he has pulled some crap (cutting up uniforms he didn't like, the Drake LaRoche incident and others) which made him look like a tool.  I loved watching him pitch on the South Side, but the White Sox got a great return for Sale from Boston which should help jump start their rebuild.  

^^^ The feeling was likely mutual.  Sale is a wonderful pitcher, but he has pulled some crap (cutting up uniforms he didn't like, the Drake LaRoche incident and others) which made him look like a tool.  I loved watching him pitch on the South Side, but the White Sox got a great return for Sale from Boston which should help jump start their rebuild.  

I agree with everything.

One my great baseball memories is sitting in the 'Sale Zone' with my kid (his first major league ball game) one night. It was a Scherzer/Sale match up. They both pitched great, but Scherzer pitched a 9 inning/3 hit shutout.

Odd not seeing an MLB thread and it's Opening Week (or maybe I missed it, in which case I'll delete). Anyway....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701934-cardinals-star-adam-wainwright-throws-awful-wild-pitch-vs-cubs?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Kept thinking about starting one, but I got too lazy.

If anything has taught me in the last couple of years it is time to make completely inaccurate predictions.  

National League

East:

Washington Nationals

New York Mets (WC)

Atlanta Braves

Marlins

Phillies

Central:

Chicago Cubs

Pirates

Cards

Brewers

Reds

West: 

Dodgers

Giants (WC)

Diamondbacks

Rockies

Padres 

American League

East:

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Oriels 

Yankees

Rays

Central

Indians

Royals (WC)

Tigers

Twins

White Sox

West

Rangers

Mariners (WC)

Astros

A's

Angles

Playoffs

NLWC: Mets over Giants

NLDS: Cubs over Mets

NLDS: Nats over Dodgers

NLCS: Cubs over Nats

ALWC: Mariners over Royals

ALDS: Mariners over Rangers

ALDS: Red Sox over Indians

ALCS: Red Sox over Rangers

World Series:

Cubs over Red Sox in 6

I'm not going to list them all but will say that I think COL will either take the NL West or get a WC shot.

Also, I believe it  indeed will be BOS v CHC in WS, but BOS takes the WS (only 4 NL teams have ever repeated a WS victory, so odds are stacked against them repeating).

Also, I believe it  indeed will be BOS v CHC in WS, but BOS takes the WS (only 4 NL teams have ever repeated a WS victory, so odds are stacked against them repeating).

One of those was the Cubs (1907 and 1908)

• 1 month later...

I should write the FCC...

Was watching the Tigers v Sox on Saturday afternoon. First Sox batter slid into first to beat a close throw and Hawk Harrelson yelled GOD DAMMIT. He's losing it. 

I am sure it was "Gawd-dag it".

I should write the FCC...

Was watching the Tigers v Sox on Saturday afternoon. First Sox batter slid into first to beat a close throw and Hawk Harrelson yelled GOD DAMMIT. He's losing it. 

Well Sox Fans only have to suffer another year with this moron.  

I am all for homer broadcasters, especially in baseball (though David Ross during last night's Cubs game was pretty horrible), but Hawk is a jibbering pile of garbage.   

I am sure it was "Gawd-dag it".

You know, I couldn't believe my ears, so I instantly rewound it to hear it again (and again), and it was definitely GODDAMN IT. I know he substitutes Dag Nab it, or Dag Gammit, but this one was pretty clear to me. 

And later that night, I just happened to have CSN on when they started rebroadcasting it. On the rebroadcast, there was nothing. No cussing, no cuss-substitution, no nothing. They muted him. So, in conclusion, BUSH DID 911. 

^^^ Curious how you felt about Ron Santo when he was the Cubs radio analyst?

I absolutely loved Ron Santo.  And there is no comparision between Hawk and Ronnie.  The difference between Hawk and Santo is that Hawk is all stick.  He is nothing more than a few annoying catch phrases and really stupid takes on baseball.  Hawk never played for the White Sox and was only ever part of the team as GM (and by all accounts a shitty GM) after doing TV for them for a few years.  Everything he did in the booth was more of a look a me and came off as hokey and fake.  And even a great color man like Steve Stone couldn't bring the Sox games to a watchable state.  

Now, on why I love Ronnie.  He was never a great broadcaster, but his love for the Cubs was genuine.  He played for them all but one of his 14 years.  He really embodied the spirit of the Cubs.  He was one of the ultimate players turned into a fan.  He never resorted to catch phrases or stick.  And his chemistry with Pat Hughes (I think the best play by play man working today BTW) is undeniable.  At time when the Cubs were at their worst, Ronnie's passion and love for the team always shinned through.  No matter how bad or good they were, this was going to be the year they won it all.  It is shame that he did not live to see it.  

One of my favorite stories about Ron Santo I think really expresses my.  I do feelings about him.  Now, I don't remember what year it was but it was back when Kerry Wood pitching.  Wood was either on the DL at the time or hurt and not playing (which seemed to be 95% of his time in the Bigs).  Anyway it was an extra inning game and the bull pens were getting depleted.  Then all of a sudden Ron gets really excited and exclaims, "Kerry Wood! Wood is warming up!" And then Pat Hughes turns to him and flatly says, "Ronnie, that is LaTroy Hawkins."  It is just too perfect for words.    

KevinG:  It's all perspective (and geography).  Like most people when they reach a certain age, Hawk has slipped a bit in the last few years.  But for many of the same reasons you loved Santo, I think Hawk is fun to listen to (unless the Sox are mired in a losing streak -- which has become all too frequent).  While he has his detractors on the South Side, Hawk remains immensely popular among Sox fans because of his longevity, passion and enthusiasm for the team (some of the same attributes for which you loved Santo).  For my kids, he was the voice of the team they loved while growing up.  That's a hard bond to break.  Many (but not all), Sox fans mocked Santo for being mostly incoherent..  I enjoyed his enthusiasm and interplay with the excellent Pat Hughes, but never really thought he analyzed -- he cheered and rooted.  I suspect we will never agree on this subject, but like most Sox fans I'm going to miss Hawk after he retires -- just like you miss Santo.

Yeah - what Chez said --- baseball announcers get to be a bit like a family member over a long period of time --- to outsiders a particular uncle may be an annoying blowhard, but to a family member he is just 'Uncle Ron' or 'Uncle Ken' and we accept them with all their faults.