• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can throw on a 72 show and keep the volume down -- that's what I do when I don't want to listen to my 'uncle'.

His replacement (Jason Benetti) grew up in my neighborhood and went to the local high-school - so it's nice to have a local connection. He even made it down this year for the town's little league opening day and threw out the 1st pitch.

Kinda cool, I guess.

^ Ha. 

The only times I get to hear Hawk actually is when they're playing the Tigers. And even then, if I get to watch more than a single inning before something else in my chaotic household calls me away for this or that, it's a blessing. 

He gone!

Speaking of '72 shows, Someone with more technical aptitude than me could overdub Hawk saying HE GONE over He's Gone. 

• 1 month later...

Nice Cubs/White Sox trade today. Glad to happen to catch Quintana's last game pitching at Sox Park - he definitely pitch better than he did earlier season, but he still got a no decision. This trade should help both teams.

The Chicago Cubs mortgaged a large chunk of their future Thursday by acquiring prized left-hander Jose Quintana for four prospects.

Those prospects include outfielder Eloy Jimenez and pitcher Dylan Cease, along with infielders Matt Rose and Bryant Flete.

Nice Cubs/White Sox trade today. Glad to happen to catch Quintana's last game pitching at Sox Park - he definitely pitch better than he did earlier season, but he still got a no decision. This trade should help both teams.

The youth of the team that is currently on the field I think mortgage is a strong word (as your quote pointed out).  They gave away some pieces for sure, but it is not like all they have in their farm system is guys like me.  

Honestly, to have Quintana under control through 2020 I think is great.  

I took my quote from a Chicago Tribune article -- I don't necessary agree with the wording, either - just wanted to post all names of all the players involved in the trade and grabbed the paragraph.

I always enjoyed watching Quintana pitch - very intense pitcher -- but I am fine with the trade and like anytime when you trade for prospects - hopefully they pan out. On paper they all look great - esp. Jimenez.

Good deal for both teams -- though I would have loved to see the Sox ship Quintana to Milwaukee :D.  Still . . a great return for a top of the rotation starter. 

Was hoping to see that same trade but, for Verlander instead of Quintana, but his price tag is way too high, and he's a lot older than Quintana. 

Cubs gave up a lot, but I love when teams say "fuck it, let's win now."

Quintana trade is so much better then a trade for Verlander.  Quin is younger and less than half the price (28 mill vs. 8-10 mill).  I have a feeling Quin might pull a Jake Arrieta, a change of scenery will bring out the best.  Also, I honestly think saying the Cubs gave up a lot is a stretch.  Bleed Cubbie Blue has an interesting analysis that I agree with.  https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2017/7/14/15969558/jose-quintana-trade-analysis (ie no Happ, no Schwarber)

Also this move is a let's win now and in the future, move.  I think overall it is a very smart baseball move by Theo and Co.  Hopefully when Henricks is healthy it sets the rotation as Arrieta, Lester, Quintana, Henricks, Montgomery/Butler/Lackey.  Oh I want some trade to make Lackey go away.  That guy drives me nuts.   

Quintana trade is so much better then a trade for Verlander.  Quin is younger and less than half the price (28 mill vs. 8-10 mill).  I have a feeling Quin might pull a Jake Arrieta, a change of scenery will bring out the best.  Also, I honestly think saying the Cubs gave up a lot is a stretch.  Bleed Cubbie Blue has an interesting analysis that I agree with.  https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2017/7/14/15969558/jose-quintana-trade-analysis (ie no Happ, no Schwarber)

Also this move is a let's win now and in the future, move.  I think overall it is a very smart baseball move by Theo and Co.  Hopefully when Henricks is healthy it sets the rotation as Arrieta, Lester, Quintana, Henricks, Montgomery/Butler/Lackey.  Oh I want some trade to make Lackey go away.  That guy drives me nuts.   

Agree with everything in this, including Lackey driving me nuts. So glad he is driving Cubs fans (and not Red Sox fans) nuts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Indians' streak may be the story of the year in baseball regardless of which team wins it all. A streak like this is very rare in baseball. I'm a Braves fan, and even though I don't have a dog in the hunt I'm loving it. 

Chicago's bats have been on fire recently. Sox have 16 runs, 24 hits in todays game. Cubs won 17-5 yesterday.

It has been promising especially since they got swept by the Brewers in the series before.  Really this series against the Cardinals will tell a lot.  If they take 2 of 3 odds are the division will be theirs.  If they lose 2 or get swept, it is up for grabs. 

So what about this moving the Brewers v Marlins to Milwaukee BS? Yeah I understand the need to move it from Miami, but a neutral site would have been more fair to the Marlins and everyone in that tight division race.  Who, other than the Brewers thinks having the Marlins play a "home game" in Milwaukee is a good idea?